Castrol Edge 5w-50???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this poking around some AZs looking for clearance. Is this appropiate to use in something "modern"? Post 1990 in my case. Was debating mixing with some 0w-20 but wasn't sure as it's listed specifically for classic cars...started wondering if I do more damage trying to save a buck.

I believe it's this here, for reference:
http://www.theoilhub.com/Castrol_EDGE_W_...CFUEV7AodZE4Avg

Edit: everything in our fleet calls for 5w-30. Saturn S-series, Cavalier, 2 Cobalts, Cruze (wouldn't put it in the Cruze for warranty reasons).

Last edited:
It could be used in some modern cars. My 2008 Impreza actually says to use a heavier weight oil in hot climates. It goes as far as saying a 10w50 is acceptable. BTW this is a non turbo 2.5l boxer. Never tried anything except 5w30 or 10w30.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Is this appropiate to use in something "modern"? ...started wondering if I do more damage trying to save a buck.

It's API SN, so technically it could be used. However, in the applications that you listed, there is no benefit, and the drawback is that you'll take a slight hit on fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Would the high zinc mean keep out of oil burners (ie. Saturn)?

Zinc isn't the issue. Phos is what poisons cats.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And this oil does have about 1100-1200 ppm of phos.

And the cutoff for SN is 800ppm isn't it,or something close.

So yes it may potentially ruin cats in an engine that burns oil and sends it out the tailpipe.
No cat though-no problem,other than as already mentioned it's a bit thick.

Today for any performance engine I'd use a euro spec oil like m1 0w-40. It's basically perfect for high output applications. Tough to beat as far as quality and specs it is certified for,and the price is tough to beat.

The bottle i saw was listed as classic car formula. I heard it would be good for sloppy tolerances?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

That limit only applies to Xw-20 and Xw-30 grades for SN.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
The bottle i saw was listed as classic car formula. I heard it would be good for sloppy tolerances?

Though I get that logic, tolerances/clearances are one of the biggest misconceptions about oil. (As in.. cited as a reason to go thick. It is old-school oil logic of "thicker is better," and a "thicker" coating of oil on cylinder walls, for when that piston slides up and down that cylinder, scraped off on the up-stroke. And fully warmed, yes, the oil flows "not poorly." Enter thin vs thick debTe here.)
^^ that, and the "rod bearings." Another citer of thick oil

And some cars DO seem to run well on a 50. This is a debate in and of itself as well. Butt dynos, engine feel, etc.

The example I hear used most for "thicker oil" is SBCs, or "Small-Block Chevys." Lots of folk use a 40-weight in there. Or an xW-50, in heat.

That limit only applies to Xw-20 and Xw-30 grades for SN.

This is extremely useful knowledge! Thank you, QP! And a Merry Christmas to you!

Today for any performance engine I'd use a euro spec oil like m1 0w-40.

BTW, M1 0w-40 has more than 800 ppm of phos as well.
smile.gif

I went ahead and bought 11 quarts to use on my old Plymouth. For a buck a quart you cannot go wrong. I also scored some Valvoline racing 10w-30 as well.

The big issue with my old 230 is that the carb ALWAYS boils over and dilutes the oil with gas....even with a heat shield.

So I find myself changing the oil every 500 miles if I am lucky!

You could use Syntec 5W-50 in any of your cars in the warmer months with no problems.
You probably won't even notice the change in fuel economy.
The oil will quickly shear to a forty anyway.
For a buck a quart, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back