Dish Network viewers lose Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you may have heard that Fox News has been pulled from Dish Network's channel lineup over some contract renewal dispute. Please refrain from any disparaging comments about Fox News as that conversation would irrelevant in this discussion. As a Dish customer myself I view this as a reduction in service. I sent Dish an email explaining to them that I will be reducing the amount of my monthly payments to them by 25% because of my reduced service, and if they attempt to add that amount to any successive billing statements, I will cancel my account. I also told them if they don't get the Fox News channel back within a reasonable amount of time I will cancel my service and go with another provider. I'm sick of companies bickering about money and holding Joe Consumer hostage while doing so!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Many of you may have heard that Fox News has been pulled from Dish Network's channel lineup over some contract renewal dispute. Please refrain from any disparaging comments about Fox News as that conversation would irrelevant in this discussion. As a Dish customer myself I view this as a reduction in service. I sent Dish an email explaining to them that I will be reducing the amount of my monthly payments to them by 25% because of my reduced service, and if they attempt to add that amount to any successive billing statements, I will cancel my account. I also told them if they don't get the Fox News channel back within a reasonable amount of time I will cancel my service and go with another provider. I'm sick of companies bickering about money and holding Joe Consumer hostage while doing so!

Well said!
thumbsup2.gif

Start looking now, though... even though your take is correct, you and Dish won't last long with reduced payments.

The way they see it, if you don't outright cancel, then you accept whatever they give you, and you owe them.

Agreed that this thread is about Dish, and not Fox.

I've told my Dad to do the same thing. You get 10 channels that you want, and then they force you to take 190 channels that you don't give a flip about.

And then they take away one of the 10 channels that you DO actually watch, and then they shrug it off.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
grampi said:
The way they see it, if you don't outright cancel, then you accept whatever they give you, and you owe them.

That may be the way THEY see it, but it's still a reduction in service no matter how you slice it, and as long as there are other service providers out there that can provide what I want, I don't see where Dish has any leverage to be pushin my buttons...this is an issue that Dish needs to handle very carefully or I see them losing a lot of customers...

Just a little corporate hard-ball. Dish's side of it is that fox insisted on a negotiation of the football contract which wasn't up for renewal. The average fox news viewer is 68 years old so its not a prized demographic.

Me, I went to rabbit ears about a year ago and haven't looked back.

Imagine what your monthly bill would be if the cable and satellite company's paid what the networks really want for each channel.
Lots of guys gotta have ESPN and it cost $5.54 a month which you don't see on your bill. Lots of women watch Lifetime and it cost .32 a month. There's a lot more to it than I care to type. Most people only get ticked when they lose a channel they watch. Who's to say Direct TV won't have a contract fight with Fox News in the future?

The whole want 10 channels but pay for 200 thing is why I got rid of cable television service. Don't need it .... I can watch stuff I want at my parents.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Most people only get ticked when they lose a channel they watch. Who's to say Direct TV won't have a contract fight with Fox News in the future?

That's because 95% of the programming they offer is garbage, and when you lose one of the very few channels that are worth watching, it's a big deal! If I switch to DirecTV and they do the same thing, I would handle it the same...

Dish replaced Fox News with The Blaze. The content is good, but it's not Fox.

I wouldn't hold back a portion of the bill as a sign of displeasure. Dish will add late payment fees on the unpaid portion and possibly cut off your service if it remains unpaid. I would suggest you just outright cancel the service now and go elsewhere.

All kinds of little scrolling news alert like messages around here from multiple channels over the last few months saying DISH NW wants to cancel them to call and complain. Happens every couple years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Me, I went to rabbit ears about a year ago and haven't looked back.

Heck, we never stopped using rabbit ears...

Of course the only time the TV gets turned on is to watch PBS shows like Nature or NOVA on occasion.

O/P- can you get Fox with rabbit ears? I'm pretty sure we can.

Just a little corporate hard-ball. Dish's side of it is that fox insisted on a negotiation of the football contract which wasn't up for renewal. The average fox news viewer is 68 years old so its not a prized demographic.

You may want to recheck your figures...Fox News has a higher viewership than any other news media outlet, and more than many of the others combined...the sheer numbers involved suggest it is a very valued demographic...

Well being as my parents have long since departed this world for a much better place, watching their TV is not an option.

As far as Dish is concerned, I'm already switching to Comcast for a locked in price for 3 years along with 2 premium channels, telephone & internet. I'm saving $480.00 bucks a year with this new set up and there is no contract, I can drop it at any time or do whatever.

It's a special going on right now.

You may want to recheck your figures...Fox News has a higher viewership than any other news media outlet, and more than many of the others combined...the sheer numbers involved suggest it is a very valued demographic...

I questioned his reply also grampi.

I love having fox news and would be upset if it went elsewhere. And BTW I am 23 not 68. That being said I'd love to have the blaze!!!

You're kidding,right?
laugh.gif

As posted,Fox by far is the #1 cable news network.

+1

These contract disputes are going to happen from time to time no matter who your service provider is. If the service providers just pay the networks whatever they want to carry their programming, they would have to jack up your bill to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back