Jumper cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Thinking of getting another set of jumpers. Because I'm not operating a tow truck or police car, does copper clad aluminum (CCA) really matter? My understanding is that cca may have a more finite number of bends before it fails.

May just get a shorty set for less space/cost/mass, not sure.

Recommendations? Don't think I need aught gauge wires, even for my diesels.

But made in USA is a plus.

Thanks!

Well, your jumper cables will last a very long time, but mine sit in a drawer. I carry one of those Antigravity XP-1 micro jump starters. It'll fit on the motorcycle, and it's somewhat useful as a USB power source.

I think your CCA eventually would flow from the crimp, similar to how Al house wire flows, but you won't get a fire in your wall from it.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Well, your jumper cables will last a very long time, but mine sit in a drawer. I carry one of those Antigravity XP-1 micro jump starters. It'll fit on the motorcycle, and it's somewhat useful as a USB power source.

I think your CCA eventually would flow from the crimp, similar to how Al house wire flows, but you won't get a fire in your wall from it.

Love it!

Get fine strand copper with flex jacket. Stuff that isnt like working with an iron bar some dark and stormy night. I'm hacking around with 75 -80 amps,jump starting a messed up engine. I dont need any extra excitement

Spend the money to buy high quality pure copper cables with heavy duty connectors in 12-16 foot length. A high quality set costs $30-40 and will last a lifetime. If you can't or won''t make that investment I suggest you don't bother having cables at all. Been driving cars for 45 years and have seen people trying to use bargain basement cheap cables in some extreme conditions and it's never pretty, sometimes dangerous, and almost always a complete waste of time.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So what's the issue with CCA? Really. Yes, I've worked with 2-2-2-4 Al wire for a home subpanel, yes I understand aluminum oxidation, but at the same time:
1) jumping is a transient operation
2) if I have any control over it, I'd use one car to charge the other so that the jumping inrush is not as severe
3) I wouldn't expect based upon recent history, to need them more than once every few years.

I've read that cca conductors will break under frequent flexing, but I don't fall under that use profile.

And simple study of ampacity tables shows that just a slightly larger Al wire will net the same voltage drop as the baseline Cu. But Al is much less dense, so a higher gauge will still be lighter.

So...

Besides a thirst for the real thing, what am I missing??

Those 1 ga cables linked above seem to me to be a great deal.

I do have two sets of very heavy cu cables. These may be for other applications and other uses of convenience.

I have a set of cables that I'm pretty sure were my grandfather's.
used them last month to jump my F-150 from my Taurus.
I let it charge for 10 minutes. Then it turned over a few times and started.
Worked like a champ.

If you cant afford quality shop around. I know nothing about jumpers made off copper clad aluminum. All I know is copper wire is cheap right now.
I had a few friends in hdgh school make their own cables once they figured out they could make them better lighter and cheaper.

Just get a good pair. Never hurts to have a good set. I have a pair that's 4 gauge and 20ft. Only used them a handful of time but they work excellently.

Copper is only an ingredient in the jumper cables, that provides superior properties to Aluminium in a lot of areas.

Suit yourself, and suit your budget.

Personally, I prefer copper in those applications, but also just recently bought a mini jump pack, as it's more useful on the once per year than spinning the other car around and jumping it car to car.

During 13 years in the earth moving business, I have jumped started everything with an engine (Slight exaggeration).

No contest. The big, heavy, all copper cables are the only way to go. They start stuff lesser cables won't. Same goes for welding cable. They make highly flexible cable but no one spends the money on them because welding cable is always available. It might be a good option for you.

I never cheap out on cables. Don't have to. My cables get worked in some pretty nasty environments. I bought them ten years or so ago. They work perfect. A quality set of cables should last a lifetime if used only for the rare emergency battery assist in passenger cars. They will also start anything you would agree to connect them to with your DD.

I want to add that you seem like the type that could MAKE an awesome set of cables and save cash too. It's not difficult and everything you need is at your closest NAPA.

Last edited:
One gauge pure copper wire?
12' and only nine pounds?
Made in USA?
Less than $83.00 shipped?
If I needed a serious set of cables, these would be a good choice.
They also offer a two gauge set for nine bucks less.

I'm 43, and my Dad bought me a set of high quality jumper cables when I started driving at 16. I've carried them in every vehicle that I've owned since. A lot like these:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/054962-deka-professional-service-booster-cable.html#.VJwbdsAKA

The most important jump in that time was a sheriff's deputy who couldn't get his Crown Vic to start, and had been dispatched on a call.

The other thing to consider is length... so that you can jump a vehicle when you're sitting behind it (as in, pulled in behind the vehicle, along the shoulder of a road).

And if you're still curious about the clad aluminum, then go for it. You'll eventually figure it out.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
I made a set with 00 welding cable 20' long 45 years ago and they still work great.
A little heavy though.
This is what the boss did at work for jumping a truck if needed. They are heavy but worth it.

Finally at 52 years of age, I just bought a nice set of 2 gauge jumper cables 1/2 price on Black Friday at Rural King for $19. Time will tell if these are any better than what I currently own.

Other than that, I have used a $15. set that I have used since my Sophomore year in H.S.(1978) and a $3 pair that I keep in my Accord that came from the clearance pile at Wally World. Both sets have jumped many batteries as needed without drama for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back