Defective Denso wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed a new set of Denso wires on a 2000 VW Jetta #3 defective right out of the box. Replaced with NGK, no problem.
Made in USA wires too. Even the big names are getting shoddy, this makes 4 defective parts in the last week, all brand new and all brand name, not a Chinese part in the bunch.

All the economists say that inflation is practically nil, but if you factor in the degradation of quality in most everything, I'd say inflation is about 10%.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Isn't Bosch the OE supplier?

I would guess Bosch or NGK on the Mexico built cars. Still Denso is supposed to be top shelf.

Another alternative and also an OE vendor for those cars is
Beru, although I believe they have been bought out over the past few years by Bosch or another company.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
All the economists say that inflation is practically nil, but if you factor in the degradation of quality in most everything, I'd say inflation is about 10%.

A good assessment. Even for domestic stuff, quality drops, the jobs get tougher for less pay, but the CEOs make more for creating "efficiency".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

A good assessment. Even for domestic stuff, quality drops, the jobs get tougher for less pay, but the CEOs make more for creating "efficiency".
That is because their peers are in charge of the pay scale.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Indeed, meanwhile median income in the USA has dropped from around
55,000/yr to 51,000k in the past five years, and if they removed the top few percentage earners and weighted it correctly the median income would be close to 35,000/yr.

Last edited:
I used OE Delco on the GP also no problem. Unfortunately (as it turns out) Denso and NGK were the only brand names i could get on short notice today.
I chose Denso for almost $60, if i would have bought the NGK for $47 (which i ended up with anyway) instead i wouldn't be posting my PITA misfire problem. lol

I just didn't want to put blue wires on someone else's car, they look a little cheesy.

Denso Japan? Defective? Do not think so. Must be made somewhere else, Trav.
NGK is a good choice. May I ask where it was made in?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: CT8

Indeed, meanwhile median income in the USA has dropped from around
55,000/yr to 51,000k in the past five years, and if they removed the top few percentage earners and weighted it correctly the median income would be close to 35,000/yr.

32.gif
You are confusing median (the middle figure in a series when those figures are ordered in either ascending or descending order) and mean (add all of the figures in a series and divide by the number of figures; most people are referring to mean when they use the word "average"). Removing the top or bottom few percentage earners in such a large series would have no discernable effect on the median and you cannot weight a median.

As an example, if you have the series 1,1,3,5,5,5,5,17,28, the mean is 7.8 and the median is 5. Eliminate the 17 and 28 and your mean drops to 3.6 but your median is still 5.

Last edited:
Yes, bad parts are a 'pet peeve' of mine, but for many years. I first noticed with rad caps and thermostats, with too many 'bad' from new. Also, too many simple water pumps=a seal and a bearing. One of my areas has been Buick 'nailhead' engines and luckily I've gathered a fair amount of better NOS parts, but no longer look at most work anymore as 'rebuild'or'reman', but 'repair' as I fix what's needed, but leave what's still ok and a good part rather than risk replacing a functional older part with a new, but bad one. Of course, some of my feeling is colored by when I got into the defense 'bombs and bullets' business where 'things' had to work and we tested a high percentage of production.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Denso Japan? Defective? Do not think so. Must be made somewhere else, Trav.
NGK is a good choice. May I ask where it was made in?

Denso assembled in USA. NGK parts USA or Mexico, something like that i will look later.
NGK seems better made, the cylinders are numbered on the wire and they have abrasion protection in multiple places where they could rub on a metal part, $13 cheaper too.
The blue color is the only thing i don't like but they claim copper core and the material seems good quality so i can overlook the color.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Another alternative and also an OE vendor for those cars is
Beru

Beru was one of the very best in the business until the late 90's when they were bought by Federal Mogul (prior to that they were a family owned business), now its just bread and butter mediocre (at best) stuff. Another good name gone bad.
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Yes, bad parts are a 'pet peeve' of mine, but for many years. I first noticed with rad caps and thermostats, with too many 'bad' from new. Also, too many simple water pumps=a seal and a bearing.

Its getting to be a real PITA with this stuff. As you say rad caps and thermostats are so bad now its nothing but OE.
Reman parts are some of the worst, unfortunately they don't make new steering racks for many cars. The failure rate is out of this world even when bought through the dealer network.
Confirmed dead on install new parts since this past Monday.
MAF sensor GM OE from dealer.
Denso wires.
Wiper motor OE Toyota.
Window switch OE VW/Audi.

In the past month, a radiator, OE muffler (SS and huge money), TPS, transmission filter, and a few other bits. Its getting to the point you cant trust any part you buy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I bought Delphi wires for my Buick. Excellent.

So, what's your point? One set of "good" wires doesn't mean that there will never be a failure from that supplier.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I used OE Delco on the GP also no problem. Unfortunately (as it turns out) Denso and NGK were the only brand names i could get on short notice today.
I chose Denso for almost $60, if i would have bought the NGK for $47 (which i ended up with anyway) instead i wouldn't be posting my PITA misfire problem. lol

I just didn't want to put blue wires on someone else's car, they look a little cheesy.

That's kind of weird- from my sources, Denso is by far cheaper than NGK, and often times cheaper than the Parts Master house brand (made by Standard).

One of the big reasons that I choose them- besides the perceived quality associated with the name, is their fit. They consistently fit better than the other aftermarket wires. Where the others are typically way longer than OE, the Denso wires are usually much closer, which gives a cleaner, less ratty look. It's hard to claim you do good work when there is a rat's nest of plug wires- it looks very unprofessional in my opinion.

As for their quality, so far, so good. No doubt my days are numbered though.

Just installed a new set of Denso wires on a 2000 VW Jetta #3 defective right out of the box. Replaced with NGK, no problem.
Made in USA wires too. Even the big names are getting shoddy, this makes 4 defective parts in the last week, all brand new and all brand name, not a Chinese part in the bunch.

If they are made in USA, do you think DENSO is making them or they are packaging and selling some generic wires under their branding?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

If they are made in USA, do you think DENSO is making them or they are packaging and selling some generic wires under their branding?

I cant say that but i can tell you this.. On the wire or boot section itself there is nothing printed Denso on the NGK there is. NGK right on the wire, so your guess is as good as mine.
There certainly isn't much of a difference visually between the Denso and elcheapo's but that doesn't mean much either.

Its just a defective part so i cant say i will never use anything Denso again, i am just a little surprised at the end QC side of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back