Speaking of Christmas movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for Christmas movies on TV! IMO, there are 3 *Great* Christmas movies.
1. A Christmas Carol. Many versions, several are very good, my favorite by a good margin is B&W from 1951(had to look it up), stars Alastair Sim.
2. It's A Wonderful Life. Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed. Dunno if there are any remakes on this one- but if so, skip 'em & watch the original.
3. Miracle On 34th Street. 1947, Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O'Hara, John Payne, & a very young Natalie Wood. The 1990's remake suffers *badly* by comparison.

Lots of other Christmas movies, but those are the Big Three. A dandy little runner-up: A Christmas Story, about Ralphie & a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Great fun- and it's on for 24 hours, beginning tonight from 7pm to 7pm Central tomorrow, on both the TNT and TBS channels.

As always, your favorites may vary, please feel free to add to the list, you might have a good one I've never seen. Merry Christmas!

(We sure need a Santa Claus smiley, huh?
grin2.gif
)

Last edited:
Have "Christmas Vacation" in the DVD player as I post. Still hilarious after all these years.

Three versions of "The Christmas Carol" for me -- the B&W 1938 version, "Scrooged" with Bill Murray, and the animated Disney version and a "White Christmas".

Traditional animations with the kids -- "Grinch", "Rudolph", "Frosty", "Santa Claus is coming to town", and "Twas the night before Christmas".

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Have "Christmas Vacation" in the DVD player as I post. Still hilarious after all these years.

that was on special yesterday, bought it to share with the kids.

Some friends are coming by this evening and we are going to watch it.

More of a Thanksgiving movie, but Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Sort of a crazy movie with an ending that always tears (rhymes with bears) me up.

I agree with your top three! I'd add White Christmas. There's also another about an Angel who only appears to kids. I don't know the name AND it's on VCR! Ha! Shows you how old it is. I recorded it years ago.....

I've gotten in the habit of listening to "The Sound of Music" while trimming the tree.

Home Alone has some great moments as well. I skip over the stupid parts. The "Wet Bandits" are funny. So is the pizza guy who repeatedly knocks over the statue on the front drive.

Don't forget Rudolph, Frosty, Peanuts, and "Red Ryder-Range Model-200 shot-carbine action-air rifle". "My old man worked in profanity the way an artist does with oils...a true Master!" "...exhibits a slight piquant aftertaste with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Lifebouy on the other-hand: %^&*$#!"

Merry Christmas and Don't Shoot Your Eye Out!

BEST Christmas movie hands down!!
cheers3.gif

OK, if we're gonna include TV specials, I also vote for:
Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown, Mr. Magoo, Grinch, & Santa Claus Coming to Town.

I included Ralphie & the Red Ryder, but probably several I missed. There are several others on the also-ran list that are good Christmas movies(a few good Christmas movies aren't really about Christmas- ain't that weird?), most I don't know the names. Little Miss Marker w/Bob Hope, one ? w/Robert Mitchum & Janet Leigh, one ? w/Fred McMurray & Barbara Stanwick, Pocket Full of Miracles w/Betty Davis & Glenn Ford, & others I can't think of titles or stars-but you know what they are, right?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back