Price Of Gas.. Really Dropped Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Isn't it sad that we( in the US )all think $2-$2.50 for gas is cheap. I can remember 25-30 cents a gallon when I was a kid( 70's )and paying 75 cents when I 1st started driving in the mid 80's. As recently as 2003 gas could be had around here for 99 cents a gallon on discount Mondays and $1.10 normal price.

European countries and some Asian countries pay more than $4-5/gal, some pay as high as $7-8/gal and they don't complain about it.

Our gas tax is fairly low that why our gas cost is lower than theirs.

Comparing gas price with milk I'm happy to pay less than $3/gal for regular.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Isn't it sad that we( in the US )all think $2-$2.50 for gas is cheap. I can remember 25-30 cents a gallon when I was a kid( 70's )and paying 75 cents when I 1st started driving in the mid 80's. As recently as 2003 gas could be had around here for 99 cents a gallon on discount Mondays and $1.10 normal price.

European countries and some Asian countries pay more than $4-5/gal, some pay as high as $7-8/gal and they don't complain about it.

People don't have to buy milk though. You can drink water. Very few people don't have to buy gas though. Also, the cost of milk doesn't impact the cost of just about everything else we buy the way the cost of fuel does.

People don't have to buy milk though. You can drink water. Very few people don't have to buy gas though. Also, the cost of milk doesn't impact the cost of just about everything else we buy the way the cost of fuel does.

You are cool, but I HOPE that you aren't one of those that feel that the pump price of a gallon of gasoline, or the "appropriate" cost of gas, is SUPPOSED to cost $7/gal....

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

You are cool, but I HOPE that you aren't one of those that feel that the pump price of a gallon of gasoline, or the "appropriate" cost of gas, is SUPPOSED to cost $7/gal....

Sure would help with freeway traffic

Not all true on foreign tax on gas. There are other reasons for the higher fuel cost.

Norway is a major oil producing country, but the average Norwegian has to shell out $9.97 for a gallon of gas, more than twice the U.S. average. Norway doesn’t subsidize fuel at the pump; instead, it uses oil profits to fund free college education and infrastructure development.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

No, I said earlier that I feel $2.50 is a reasonable price for 2014-2015. It is not reasonable to expect $1 or less ever again for gas but I think $3-$4+ like we have had now for a while is way too much.

Gas is "worth" what the market will bear, period. We have all, hopefully, contributed to the price decline, if not declining demand in the U.S. for years. If you made any effort whatsoever to make your current car more fuel efficient than your last, congratulations, you helped.

As it stands now, demand has flattened in the BRIC countries and OPEC is not willing to cut production. On the "evil" side they are doing so to hopefully drive the price down further and put the brakes on U.S. exploration. On the "good" side even they realize that oil is the primary source of income for the extremist groups who are pains in their butts, too.

Either way, don't expect it to stay this way very long and enjoy it while it lasts.

I saw a Shell station....a SHELL station, right off of IH-35 selling regular for $1.99/ga! Been a l__o__n__g time since I've seen Shell gas that low.

Actually, we've all gotten used to paying excessive amounts for so long due to the Meanie Greenie's & EPA's war on "fossil" fuels, including the present regime.

What a timely Christmas present though...I'll take it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Gas is "worth" what the market will bear, period. We have all, hopefully, contributed to the price decline, if not declining demand in the U.S. for years. If you made any effort whatsoever to make your current car more fuel efficient than your last, congratulations, you helped.

As it stands now, demand has flattened in the BRIC countries and OPEC is not willing to cut production. On the "evil" side they are doing so to hopefully drive the price down further and put the brakes on U.S. exploration. On the "good" side even they realize that oil is the primary source of income for the extremist groups who are pains in their butts, too.

Either way, don't expect it to stay this way very long and enjoy it while it lasts.

However, the market can be, and HAS BEEN, manipulated by those who stand to profit from high fuel prices to artificially inflate prices we have to pay at the pump.

However, the market can be, and HAS BEEN, manipulated by those who stand to profit from high fuel prices to artificially inflate prices we have to pay at the pump.

Name a market, especially commodity, that hasn't been manipulated. 8-D

Welcome to capitalism, our chosen economic system.

If you look at raw milk from cows and milk in gallon jug you buy at grocery store is not much different, processing raw milk to milk we pay is fairly easy and cost very little. The price of milk you paid is more than twice the farmers get for the milk without any tax added.

Now if you look at crude oil and gasoline you buy, they are totally different. Processing crude oil to gasoline is very complicate and costly, adding various Federal and State taxes I always amaze that we pay very little for gasoline with respect to crude oil price plus taxes plus transportation and storage.

And... it is still dropping!

af708c9988e297150fa3979ff99f8e86.jpg

aa375bbe60e2a88b9fb176c62b780b8c.jpg

^Wow, that's a big spread from regular to mid. It had been 10 cents here for years and increased to about 20 since the reformulating of fuel in the mid 90's. But, that is 55 cents. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back