Did I buy counterfeit filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've received a response!

Now that I can see the pictures and the dates/ where they're made, it looks like the
"fluted" filter was made in 2010 and the smooth dome end filter was made in 2013.
(the first five digits of the date code represent yr/day ex: 10- 2010, and 061- 61st
day of year) There may have been a design change between the two dates, but I don't
have access to see when all the changes to the filters are made unfortunately.
Regardless, the "fluted" filter is past it's shelf life of 4 years. Like I said in
my previous email, that filter is supposed to have a smooth dome end according to
the engineering drawing of the filter. If your supplier is selling you these out of
date filters I would take/send them back. We do have filter plants in both the U.S.
and Mexico, so I'm not going to say these are counterfeit, but I will look into the
issue. You need to use the smooth dome filter though and again, if you have any of
the "fluted" filters they are likely out of date. If you have any more questions/
concerns please let me know.

I have now cut open the known good filter and the suspect filter.

The suspect filter was opened by my filter cutter in three turns.

The good one was very difficult, I ended up needing to put it to the grinding wheel to complete separating the can from the base. The can material as well as the base and number or threads on the good one is thicker.

The bad one is well made inside like a Hastings but is just simple filter media. It sliced like paper.

The good one has the correct Stratapore filter media backed by a thin cloth mesh backed by a steel screen. The white filter media is cotton like and was difficult to cut, I needed to saw the razor knife through it.

THE VERDICT: The suspect one is certainly a counterfeit.

I purchased these from filterbarn.com. Never again!

IMG_20141223_111805_082_zps05176d74.jpg

IMG_20141223_112137_758_zps42411cb3.jpg

IMG_20141223_112159_794_zps57659b5e.jpg

Thanks for cutting them open!

I would email them the cut open pics to the rep... These turds are counterfeit.

Thanks again for sacrificing the genuine one
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Paul_Bell
I have now cut open the known good filter and the suspect filter.

The suspect filter was opened by my filter cutter in three turns.

The good one was very difficult, I ended up needing to put it to the grinding wheel to complete separating the can from the base. The can material as well as the base and number or threads on the good one is thicker.

The bad one is well made inside like a Hastings but is just simple filter media. It sliced like paper.

The good one has the correct Stratapore filter media backed by a thin cloth mesh backed by a steel screen. The white filter media is cotton like and was difficult to cut, I needed to saw the razor knife through it.

THE VERDICT: The suspect one is certainly a counterfeit.

I purchased these from filterbarn.com. Never again!

IMG_20141223_111805_082_zps05176d74.jpg
IMG_20141223_112137_758_zps42411cb3.jpg
IMG_20141223_112159_794_zps57659b5e.jpg
Have you contacted Filterbarn yet? I buy a fair amount from them myself, I would be interested in what they had to say about your counterfeit filter. I have recommended them in the past-but if they don't credit you or at least send another filter, I may stop recommending them-that's not right.

quoted response:
There may have been a design change between the two dates, but I don't

They might argue that the internals have also changed in design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
quoted response:

I doubt Fleetguard would go from wire backed full synthetic to cellulose media. I'd say the suspect filter is counterfeit.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: mlatour
quoted response:

I doubt Fleetguard would go from wire backed full synthetic to cellulose media. I'd say the suspect filter is counterfeit.

Purchased a couple of NAPA Gold filters this summer, 1394 (Pontiac Vibe) and 7502 (F150).

The UAP/NAPA websites always promoted Gold's as having a 'threaded end bypass valve' but both
of these actually had a 'dome end bypass'. I contacted NAPA and Wix customer service, they didn't care much
about the issue as according to them some of their filters may be of different designs but still meet all requirements.

BITOG standards and principals aren't always shared by big cost cutting corporations.

I've offered to send Fleetguard one of the fakes that I haven't yet opened.
That fake isn't a Stratapore, media is all wrong. AFAIK Filterbarn buys up closeout filters at auction & other places, that's why their filter availability is all over the map. They need to know, they probably have other counterfeit Fleetguards in their stock & you might save somebody else your problem (& you should get your money back too).

mlatour, that sucks that NAPA and WIX didn't care about the discrepancy.

Fleetguard contacted me via email the morning I sent them a message.

May I ask you, why the name "mlatour"

Having said all this, I'd like to state that I'm obviously pretty anal about my oil and oil filters (which is why we're all here?). My goal is to use on all my vehicles the old school size that matches ACDelco's PF35, which is a fat & tall big block filter. Eventually, my truck will have a remote filter and oil cooler. My Trans Am has this setup and so did my last truck, a '03 Blazer.

Fleetguard filters come in two styles, "normal" which are like a Wix/Hastings/Mobil1 media which is great or the "upgraded" Stratapore synthetic media which is what I pictured here.

Royal Purple filters are just about identical to the upgraded Fleetguard so pretty much anybody can find filters of this grade. Amsoil EO filters (by WIX) are also very good but not on the level of the better Fleetguard and similar Royal Purple filters.

mlatour, that sucks that NAPA and WIX didn't care about the discrepancy.

Fleetguard contacted me via email the morning I sent them a message.

May I ask you, why the name "mlatour"

combination of my first/second name: Michel Latour
"Michael Towers" if you translate it!

Last edited:
Ahh. I do pro sound and there are speakers called "MLA" and they're considered touring speakers.

Quote:
...Purchased a couple of NAPA Gold filters this summer, 1394 (Pontiac Vibe) and 7502 (F150).

The UAP/NAPA websites always promoted Gold's as having a 'threaded end bypass valve' but both
of these actually had a 'dome end bypass'. I contacted NAPA and Wix customer service, they didn't care much
about the issue as according to them some of their filters may be of different designs but still meet all requirements....

The promotional youtube videos of the Napa Gold filters do show thread end bypass and the vast majority of Wix/Napa Gold filters do use thread end bypass. However when it comes to the equivalent FoMoCo/Motorcraft applications Wix/NG has long used dome end bypass for those applications. A google search of this site and others will confirm that. I've seen no authoritative explanation for that, but I've 'speculated' in that case it may have something to do with patent concerns. The similar Mopar applications using thread end bypass in the oem are the same.

Can't speak to the 1394. However, when Wix/NG introduced the new 5/7356 superseding the 1356, it started with nitrile adbv and dome bypass. Folks not too happy with the nitrile, Wix quickly changed it to silicone but kept the dome pass, I'm using one now. The latest and I'm thinking final version, now adds thread end bypass.

As for the promotional ytube vids, they are not noted for being 100% representative. The Napa Silver series vid shows them using a nitrile combo valve. But, as seen here on some Silver's and O'R MicroGard's, some use Wix' traditional metal thread end bypass. In those cases imo, that is an upgrade/improvement.

One of the the advantages of buying in person is getting to do an inspection of the filter prior to purchase. I've not had need to buy filters online without also having in-store pick up. But that's just me.

While I understand that getting dome bypass when expecting thread end could be a disappointment, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the OP's situation where a completely different and cheaper media is used and the filter appears to be counterfeit. For me, I wouldn't be purchasing filters from this retailer again.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back