Thoughts on STP S6607?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an oil change deal from AZ and it came with an S6607 oil filter. It seems smaller that previous filters I have used. In fact the S6607 is also the same filter for my 3.5 v6 Nissan. Is this filter any good for 7500 oci? My engine should be very clean in the Subaru 2.5 non turbo. It has been on synthetic since around 3k miles and it now has just over 50k. I plan on only using this on the Subaru.

Keep it or try to return it to AZ for a better filter at exta cost? Assuming they will exchange / credit me.

Looking at the link the SPT filter looks to be built well....just small. I was impressed with the 12k oci on the civic. Filter appeared to hold up well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I will keep it. It may not filter down as much as a premium but I use a good syn oil

Al is correct about Subaru and the higher bypass. Some filter books will list a filter with a lower bypass setting.
Subaru specs a higher bypass for a reason Someone did a study on it if you wanna dig it up. A Subaru engine with a typical low bypass setting will let unfiltered oil be a reality.

Anyone know the psi bypass on a 2013 pathfinder? 3.5 V6 VQ engine. It claims to be the same fitment as the Impreza

If the engine is clean, 7,500 miles should be fine.

The same filter works on my son's RX8 but I never run out to 7,500 miles with the little rotary.

With a 7500 OCI....just purchase the Fram ULTRA from WalMart at under $9....and use it twice (its guaranteed for 15K).

The ULTRA IMO has got to be the best high-tier filter (99% efficiency) on the market.

Engine should be very clean. Like I said the car has gotten regular oil changes of 7500 mi or less with M1 or PP with one of the premium oil filters since it had about 3k on the odometer. Car now has around 50k. Just a daily driver for the wife. Soon to be new oil fill will be Castrol Edge gold bottle due to the deal I recently got. 5qts, oil drip pan, stp oil filter, fram air filter, roll of blue shop towels, and funnel all for $20!

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
With a 7500 OCI....just purchase the Fram ULTRA from WalMart at under $9....and use it twice (its guaranteed for 15K).

The ULTRA IMO has got to be the best high-tier filter (99% efficiency) on the market.

I will keep that in mind next time as I am commited to AZ this go around. I didn't realize Fram Ultra was such a good filter.

Admittedly no expert on Subaru bypass specs, but doing some research recently on a thread about oversize filters for a Subaru Outback as the link below shows, at least as far as Wix and Purolator are concerned, they believe there is a difference between the bypass spec of the 4 and 6 cylinder. They both spec a ~20 psi bypass for the 4 as opposed to low teens psi for the 6 cylinder. That seems significant to me and unlike Fram they use two different applications for the 4 and 6 cylinder.

For the OP's Vehicle in the Wix at least, the 57712 has a 23psi bypass. But the equivalent Fram orange can PH6607 has a bypass of 13psi. Would think the S6607 would be similar to Fram. According to the STP look up though the S6607 is the correct filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ist#Post3557438

Originally Posted By: stygz
Anyone know the psi bypass on a 2013 pathfinder? 3.5 V6 VQ engine. It claims to be the same fitment as the Impreza

An oil filter's bypass valve setting is determined mostly by the filter itself. That's why you will see different brands of filters have much different bypass valve settings for the same exact engine ... assuming the filter manufacture/designers did their homework and testing to verify design.

The vehicle/engine is also a consideration of where the bypass valve is set to open. Keep in mind that Filter X might be specified for 200 different vehicles, so therefor it must have a bypass setting that will take into account the most demanding of all those engines ... ie, oil pump flow, oil viscosity, pump pressure relief setting, etc ... all factors that contribute to delta-p across the filter media.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Admittedly no expert on Subaru bypass specs, but doing some research recently on a thread about oversize filters for a Subaru Outback as the link below shows, at least as far as Wix and Purolator are concerned, they believe there is a difference between the bypass spec of the 4 and 6 cylinder. They both spec a ~20 psi bypass for the 4 as opposed to low teens psi for the 6 cylinder. That seems significant to me and unlike Fram they use two different applications for the 4 and 6 cylinder.

For the OP's Vehicle in the Wix at least, the 57712 has a 23psi bypass. But the equivalent Fram orange can PH6607 has a bypass of 13psi. Would think the S6607 would be similar to Fram. According to the STP look up though the S6607 is the correct filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ist#Post3557438

I believe Wix also recommended a lower pressure bypass filter for Subarus for a long time prior to the 57712 being released in 2012. I never read of anyone having problems with Wix filters on Subarus prior to the 57712.

It may be true that Wix previously had a lower bypass psi, idk. Purolator doesn't have the specs yet posted for the OP's equivalent filter. But as said, I do know that based on the thread I linked that at least Puro and Wix think it's important to spec a higher bypass , ~20-25psi for the 4 cylinder 04 Forester filter as opposed to the 6 cylinder. Perhaps the aftemarkets have been playing catch up to the oem bypass spec.

As for not having earlier 'problems' that may be true too. But skyactive on the first page here makes a cogent point imo, regarding using a much than lower bypass spec. I'd say if the oem is using a significantly higher bypass spec as it seems on 'some' Subys, they must be doing so for a reason.

And the higher Subaru bypass spec has been bantered around on this board for quite some time. Based on my reading, I'd say there's substance to it that goes beyond being a myth. My .02

I ran one for over 12k in my subaru with no issues.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3500467/STP_S6607_-_12,_637_miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back