mr gasket 12s fuel pump, purchase & failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
i strayed outside of my safe zone and bought a 12s pump from oriley. i normally buy facet/purolator/cube fuel pumps to prime mechanical fuel pumps on my carbed toys.

i bought this pump and mounted it on the side of the engine bay, at the level of the pick up or maybe an inch higher.

this pump wouldnt prime to save my life...

in fear of burning it up. i only ran it for 30 seconds at a time. after 6 tries (so ~3 minutes of use) i took it off the boat and put it on my bench, attached a 6 inch hose to it and tried to suck gas from a tuna can. it took 10 more seconds before it started to prime and once it started to flow it randomly locked up and seized.

im really disappointed.

i bought another purolator pump at half the price of the 12s and mounted it in the same spot. took 15 seconds to prime and shove the air out of the carb.

i contacted mr gasket and they gave me lots of reasons why the pump failed and indirectly said its my error for not installing it as the instructions said.

the tuna can thing really wow'd me. ive had the cube pumps pull 9 ft and push 8 ft.

bummer.

Did you mount it within 12" of the fuel tank as per the instructions? The 12S is a gravity fed pusher pump not a sucker.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmod305
Did you mount it within 12" of the fuel tank as per the instructions? The 12S is a gravity fed pusher pump not a sucker.

Dave

the guy from the tech support said i had to mount it below the pick up. so, i tried 3 ways.
11" from the pickup outlet,under the tank,and along side the tank.

its funny how instructions said 12" from tank and tech said below pickup. my tanks are 16/18 inches tall, so im [censored] if i do and [censored] if i dont

I don't know about your situation, but I don't think that Mr Gasket had a stellar reputation for quality 30 years ago when I tried their stuff, I'm sure it's better now
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back