SYLVANIA SilverStar zXe in 96 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried these? I want to replace mine but also don't want them them to burn out early as I have sometimes heard about Silverstars. Any other good options out there?

I think the zxe's are just supposed to look nice- I don't think they improve vision.

You might want to try a bulb from the nightbreaker series or philips bulbs (extreme vision, maybe?)

The silverstar ultra are actually pretty good, the color is more blue than is optimal for bulb purists. The zxe is more blue yet. Some people have not had good bulb life with the ultras.

A standard bulb (NOT the silverstars, nightbreakers or xtra vision) will last longer than a performance bulb.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how much you drive and the luck of the draw. I put in Silverstar Ultra's knowing that people say they fail after a few months. I've had them in there for the last year and half and they're still going. For my headlights, they were relatively simple to replace so I'm not worried about putting in another set if one dies on me. They did seem a little brighter than stock. Xenon or LED's are way brighter, but you usually can't retrofit them property on a car that wasn't designed for them.

I can't comment on silver stars because I've never used them, but osram nightbreaker are fantastic in good weather, and osram fog breaker are the best I've used in bad weather.
Ymmv.

zXe's are a waste of money. You really don't want them. I tried Silverstar Ultras, they lite up the road well but they burn out fast.

Your car uses a 9006 low beam, the best upgrade would be a tab mod Phillips 9012LL bulb.

I've had great success with Sylvania Xtravision. A great balance between bulb life and higher output. I haven't had one to burn out yet and I'll admit that splitting the driving up between 3 vehicles probably helps with not having one burn out.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Your car uses a 9006 low beam, the best upgrade would be a tab mod Phillips 9012LL bulb.

I disagree, given that the vehicle is an older Grand Marquis with plastic lens optics... These older headlamps don't have the tight optical control that newer lamp designs have, and I believe that a 9012/HIR2 bulb could prove to be too bright in the housing, creating too much glare (especially if we're dealing with ANY lens cloudiness here). In general, I think the Sylvania Xtravision offers the best bang-for-the-buck. The only caveat is these bulbs are sometimes made in China or Thailand in this 9006/HB4 application. But that's apparently true of other choices as well (like Philips Vision Plus, etc).

I thought only gm had poor optic control? This is a mercury
grin.gif

I still want to try the 9012LL in my Buick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back