Water Spray into Throttle Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have or Do any of you spray distilled water through a plastic spray bottle into the throttle body of any of your autos to steam clean your Valves and Top of pistons?

Yes I know the engine has to be a full operating temp before doing so...

I have never done this but have seen it done many times on You Tube as well as my father did it to his carbureted autos and it seemed to produce very good results...

I was curious if this was an intelligent idea with todays fuel injected engines...

I do know to remove any sensors that are in the way of the spray...

Just beware. Modern EFI autos have dry manifolds designed to flow only air. Older carbureted engines had manifolds that knew liquids were involved.

There is a big chance of water puddling somewhere and causing issues as well as very poor distribution from cylinder to cylinder.

Spray away!

Steve I understand what you are saying... It will be a very fine mist of H20. I have a 12oz spray bottle that will be used... I will not drown the intake...Like most do on those You Tube videos... After words there will be a 5 mile run on the interstate to make sure most of the moisture is evaporated...

Thanks for your advice.

I have done that with carb cleaner all the time to clean the intake/valves. As said go slow and if it bogs down either rev a little more or slow down to even it out.

As every one else has said, go slow, slow, slow. Hydrolocking a piston would not be a fun repair.

I have done the "steam clean" water vapor on a number of engines, but I always go through a vacuum line with water in a bottle and the vacuum line held above the water which creates a mist that goes through the line.

DO NOT PLUNGE THE LINE INTO THE LIQUID!!! That would be bad.

I use a "Starbucks" 9 oz coffee bottle - works well for me.

I also use a clear hose - that way I can "see" the water droplets as they pass through the line and thus am assured that water is not building up in the line for a big water shot.

Fill the jar about half full. SLOWLY ease the vacuum line toward the water. You hear it, see it and feel it as the water vapor starts going into the line and into the motor, (it makes a slight "slurping" sound). The motor will bog if it's too much so act accordingly and ease the hose back out a bit. As the water level in the jar drops, you'll have to move the hose in a little bit more, but remember, DO THIS VERY SLOWLY and by all means, DO NOT PUT THE HOSE DIRECTLY IN THE WATER.

Best of luck
smile.gif

(Oddly enough, the motor I would like to do this on the most is my 1950 Case Model "D" tractor - but it's a low compression motor with an updraft carb and simply does not have the intake strength to draw liquid up the manifold. I've tried a number of times experimenting with different methods. The water simply puddles up at the carb intake and sits there until it finally dribbles out onto the ground. This, of course, is with the motor running, sometimes even full throttle).

Last edited:
I used to do it on my saturns, I use a garden sprayer with "keg pump" attachment and atomizer nozzle.

I just used a cheap spray bottle with distilled water through my throttle body after watching a Eric youtube video this past summer. I then changed the oil and the air filter and filled the gas tank. I then drove about 240 miles from near sea level to a destination over 3000 feet and my fuel economy for the trip was 40mpg. Automatic SL2.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I've heard of it. I would never do it to anything I own, not even a lawn mower.

Use Techron Concentrate Plus instead.

And how is that going to clean the intake or throttle body? Let alone the small percent will not really clean much adding to the gas.

I do the water torture on my BMW motorcycle. I use clear aquarium hose and an aquarium T valve. I start with the valve open, then slowly close it until I see a water air mix in the hose. Then I put into gear and ride hard until water is gone, 16 OZ water bottle. Then I repeat for the other side. I can pull the plug and look at the piston top. It does remove some carbon.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back