4 Ball Test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
Excellent, thanks all. It helps when Im staring at the shelf. Now on to the Gold Bond two ball test........
The Gold Bond two ball test is much more accurate. Either it works or it doesn't.

Oops, forgot to quote, this is in response to the guy asking if engines have ball bearings.

Not usually, there are usually some on the motor in ancillaries, belt idle wheels, but not exposed to engine oil. Maybe the 1.0 ecoboost with its timing belt that runs in oil has them?
Roller rockers have needle bearing lubricated by engine oil, maybe there or some VVT systems or rocker systems that use them?

Last edited:
I got your 4 balls h . . . . . in'
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rockydee
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The 4-Ball wear test is an excellent and valid test method for developing a lubricant for the 4-Ball wear machine.

If you want to develop a lubricant for an internal combustion engine, use internal combustion engine tests.

Tom NJ

Yes sir! Still one boutique oil company uses it to sell their goods, and people buy into it as if passing that test means the oil is going to add extra life to their ride.-AD

Actually there are two. RP and Ams

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: rockydee
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The 4-Ball wear test is an excellent and valid test method for developing a lubricant for the 4-Ball wear machine.

If you want to develop a lubricant for an internal combustion engine, use internal combustion engine tests.

Tom NJ

Yes sir! Still one boutique oil company uses it to sell their goods, and people buy into it as if passing that test means the oil is going to add extra life to their ride.-AD

Actually there are two. RP and Ams

Yea Ok. I never considered RP a boutique oil company, something in the middle maybe. But yea Ok. HA Lets hope I don't get people in an uproar saying that.-RD

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Are there any ball bearings in a modern internal combustion engine?

Millions of them, string trimmers, etc, my Saab car had a 3 cyl engine that had a ball bearing supported crankshaft. I don't see a 4 ball test for 1 part oil to 32-50 parts gas. I know that wasn't the idea behind the question, but there are actually plenty of them. My lawn mower has a 6hp Robin engine with ball bearings on the crankshaft, it's 4 stroke, and has an oil filter and an oil pump. I use the Toyota small filter, the one that has low bad efficiency according to the often seen Amsoil graph.

And lots of motorcycle engines.
Although some of the newly developed engines have in part or whole, slipper bearings on the crank.

Not to mention the shared sump nature of the majority of powertrains in motorcycles.
The transmissions certainly have roller bearings as well as gears.

Though Amsoil covers the gear component of oil testing with the FZG Gear wear test.

Regardless of the scepticism surrounding the use of the 4 Ball wear test it's certainly interesting.
Especially as a marketing tool.

I suppose if one is motivated to use Amsoil or Royal Purple oils on the basis of the test, and in their opinion they are getting their moneys worth.
What does it matter, as long as their engines aren't self destructing all over the place?

As has been stated many, many times.
An engine failure that's directly attributed to the oil is a very rare occurrence.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Are there any ball bearings in a modern internal combustion engine?

Almost any engine with a valvetrain these days has needle roller bearings in it. Rocker arms in the GM LS and Chrysler Hemi have needle roller bearings at the fulcrums. Valve lifters in the LS and Hemi have needle roller bearings. The most prevalent valvetrain in OHC engines these days is the end-pivot type. Most of these use roller finger followers, which have needle roller bearings. Modern DI engines use roller buckets to actuate the high pressure fuel pumps, and they have needle roller bearings in them.

Mobil uses the 4-ball wear test and provides that info for their gear oils and such. Not motor oils. I can't imagine it being important if XOM doesn't take it seriously. Same with Shell, Valvoline or Castrol.

I've read that Clorox bleach will easily pass the 4-ball wear test. That doesn't mean it would be a good motor oil.

I pay no attention to this test when Motor Oils are tested.

I can see where testing gear oils would be some what realistic.

C4Dave: That is the reason Prolong engine treatment did so well in the test years ago... Chlorine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back