2008 bmw x5 - kendall synblend10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering thoughts on this. . . think I could use it in wife's car? She is not an aggressive drive, more like a soccer mom driving around town.

For BMWs I would stick with LL-01 oil. I think LL-01 oils do a good job.

You could get away running non LL-01 spec 5W30 synthetic, but I would not use anything other than "full" synthetic. I don't think you would get good engine protection with dino or syn blend. BMWs also have ridiculous CCV systems and you don't want that clogged with sludge and varnish.

Its a BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine deserves the ultimate best oil. Run LongLife-01; if you check bavauto.com they suggest either Liquimoly or Redline oil.

No. M1, PU, Castrol, Liquid Moly, etc... I'm steady M1 in my o8 and you can go 7500-10k with LL01.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
just wondering thoughts on this. . . think I could use it in wife's car?

Why would you?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Why would you?

because oil is oil. seriously, we may not keep the car. I just spent $4,100 replacing the valley pan, valley pan pipe, gasket, and a sh!tload of seals, etc. b/c of various leaks. since I got 3 cases of Napa Syn 5w30, 3 cases of Kendall syn blend 10w30, and 2 cases of Castrol syn blend 10w30, just curious. . . . I know I can any of those in my truck easily. I also have about 40 qts of M1 so this is more a guess to see what I can get away with

Why would you?

because oil is oil.

Why did you even sign up on BITOG then? Just run Canola and be done with it.

If memory serves me right, you've been constantly asking to run anything but the approved LL-01 oil in your BMW. You're essentially asking the same question and hoping to get a different answer. If "oil is oil," then why do you even bother asking?

good memory. but didn't think they sold 5 or 10 w canola.

just checking parameters of what to run. . . then I read stories of people buying used euro cars from dealers/CarMax, etc and they have thrown just anything into the car. It is not tracked so more curiosity.

Over a short period of time, non-BMW approved oil will not blow up your engine. If all you need is just to put something in the sump so that you can turn around and sell it, then just about anything will probably do.

My 530i had M1 5w-30 in it when I bought it from a used car dealer. That was 8 years ago. The engine is still alive. Other parts of the car on the other hand...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why did you even sign up on BITOG then? Just run Canola and be done with it.

If memory serves me right, you've been constantly asking to run anything but the approved LL-01 oil in your BMW. You're essentially asking the same question and hoping to get a different answer. If "oil is oil," then why do you even bother asking?

Every aspect of your description makes me feel like I don't want to be at this party...

You bought a BMW and are trying to save $10 on oil?

LL-01 oil can also go up 15k OCIs. M1 0W40 costs approx. $25 a jug in the US. Seems pretty cheap to me.

just checking parameters of what to run. . . then I read stories of people buying used euro cars from dealers/CarMax, etc and they have thrown just anything into the car. It is not tracked so more curiosity.

Yeah, the engine will not blow up, it won't blow up right away.

It takes time for the damage to occur. If you run "anything" oil long-term you're going to have poor results.

This has to be a troll post. I mean, come on. You compare it to your truck (so?) and you want to save a few bucks on oil. So use the oil in your truck then and buy the proper oil for the newly repaired BMW.

Why would you?

because oil is oil. seriously, we may not keep the car. I just spent $4,100 replacing the valley pan, valley pan pipe, gasket, and a sh!tload of seals, etc. b/c of various leaks. since I got 3 cases of Napa Syn 5w30, 3 cases of Kendall syn blend 10w30, and 2 cases of Castrol syn blend 10w30, just curious. . . . I know I can any of those in my truck easily. I also have about 40 qts of M1 so this is more a guess to see what I can get away with

while I may not have 2,800+ posts yet, not a troll. just asking questions from the "experts" just as if someone asked a bourbon, cigar, men's tailored clothing, financial or legal question, I would be happy to offer advice.

This is ridiculous. It is a BMW and calls for an LL-01 oil. Run an LL-01 oil. If you want something you can run 10w-30 in, buy an old Dodge that calls for 10w-30, there were a number of them. We have had this discussion before.

I do not understand the logic of buying a vehicle presumably because of how it was engineered, then hopping on a message board second guessing that engineering and hoping somebody will back you up on it. Particularly in a case where it is obvious you are just trying to be cheap.

You should definitely sell it. I am not trying to be rude but constantly trying to cheap out on this vehicle is going to come back and bite you in the posterior. Not a recipe for happiness IMHO.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is ridiculous. It is a BMW and calls for an LL-01 oil. Run an LL-01 oil. If you want something you can run 10w-30 in, buy an old Dodge that calls for 10w-30, there were a number of them. We have had this discussion before.

I do not understand the logic of buying a vehicle presumably because of how it was engineered, then hopping on a message board second guessing that engineering and hoping somebody will back you up on it. Particularly in a case where it is obvious you are just trying to be cheap.

You should definitely sell it. I am not trying to be rude but constantly trying to cheap out on this vehicle is going to come back and bite you in the posterior. Not a recipe for happiness IMHO.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I do not understand the logic of buying a vehicle presumably because of how it was engineered, then hopping on a message board second guessing that engineering and hoping somebody will back you up on it.

didn't buy it b/c of how it was "engineered" - wife wanted to try the brand after years of having to have a GM b/c of my prior job. moreover, seeing as how some BMW's use GM tranny's and other parts from other OEM's, I am having a hard time imagining that it will go into a death spiral if heaven forbid, something other than BMW-labelled fluid goes into it. I am asking the question to see what the parameters of people's experiences are not to be cheap. fortunately, I make more than enough that I can afford the vehicle and then some. However, seeing as it is also a global vehicle and used around the world, I just wonder what makes it tick and how it works vs other brands. but thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back