Recommend an oil for new to me 1995 saturn sc2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Ah. So its not so much the engine, but the seal material that Saturn used?

I think the seal swelled, expanded the flange and it cut into the crank. I think there's more + pics on another thread.

So, DO NOT use HM oils in Saturns!!
thumbsup2.gif

I also have a Saturn ('99) SL1 and have been following the saturnfans.com website, lots of good advice there. Their feeling is do not use high mileage oil, it causes the rear main seal to swell too much and fail. For sure, check the oil every time you fill up. Also use a fixed orifice PCV valve, it will reduce your oil usage. Part numbers available on the website, also check for leaks, method on the website, and use copper core spark plugs, NGK, P/N on website. Mine was a rolling wreck when I got it right after my van got totaled by a deer, but now I get up to 40 mpg. and it is reliable and fun to drive. Also check the website for the oversized oil filter numbers, I've been using a Wix. As for oil, I would go with a decent 5W-30 synthetic, I'm using Mag1 and am happy so far. 5W-30 is what the owners manual suggests.

Last edited:
Are people having these issues with OEM Saturn rear main seals or Felpro replacements? Reason I ask, is I've tore down and rebuilt many Saturn 1.9 engines and only one ever had a leaking rear main. (In fairness, that car also had a blown head gasket, cracked head, and the block/head were coated in thick oil sludge). But even the worst motor had a crank with a perfectly smooth rear main journal.

If the oil is black, I'd get it changed ASAP.

The pils of sale oil you have sound perfect..just keep it topped off.

Yeah I would second the fact that oil at all is better than a certain brand. Our point is... They burn oil, so just make sure it's full. I have used every brand under the sun in my Saturn including grocery store oil and it continues to run great with pretty good consumption for a car of it's vintage. (1996 DOHC)

Don't overthink it too much, just don't be a stranger to your dipstick.

I don't necessarily buy the 'HM oil ruined my seal' off of one guy's conclusion that was the blame. Wouldn't we see more Saturn's that use HM oil have the seal swell and ruin the crankshaft?
21.gif

27.gif

If anything, the bottom line is stay topped off. Get a good estimate of any consumption rate and report back.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

By the way, the odometer gear is an easy fix, I have done a couple. Saturn fan forums will be your best friend soon.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I don't necessarily buy the 'HM oil ruined my seal' off of one guy's conclusion that was the blame. Wouldn't we see more Saturn's that use HM oil have the seal swell and ruin the crankshaft?
21.gif

27.gif

If anything, the bottom line is stay topped off. Get a good estimate of any consumption rate and report back.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I google'd the heck out of this last night, not just with Saturns, but for stories of any rear main seal in any vehicle 'digging a groove' into a crank because of high mile oil. Needless to say, I didn't find much.

One of the problems with Saturn forums over the years is they do tend to get stuck on a 'theory' and turn into parrots until the next theory comes along. I've never had a problem on Saturn Spot or Saturn Fans, but not too popular on 6S lol.

Bottom line - these engines are as durable as they come. I've ran mine on Golden State $1.99 gas-station oil, Rotella, and when I was broke, I drained oil out of a spun bearing motor to fill up my daily. What killed my last motor was having no oil at all. I can only blame my own laziness lol

I've got a little 2001 Saturn SC2 special edition yellow one. Got it in great shape (even the leather in mint condition!)for little $$ and use it as my commuter car for my 70 mile work commute. Had 130k when I got it. It smoked and used about a quart every 300-500 miles. I put regular MAX life in it for 1000 miles and the consumption dropped. I then ran Maxlife Full syn for 2 oil changes of 2000 miles each and now it has Mobil 1 HM oil in it and with 141k miles now it uses just about a quart of oil in 1200 miles. I can live with that. I plan on 6k miles changes using Mobil 1 for here on out. I switched to Mobil 1 from MAXLIFE because the price was the same and I feel the Mobil is a better synthetic.

I don't for a minute beleive the HM oil story on Saturnfans. I've visited that site before and it does have some good information but a lot of misinformation too.

My advice is run HIGH MILEAGE oil of your choice and I prefer the Synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've got a little 2001 Saturn SC2 special edition yellow one. Got it in great shape (even the leather in mint condition!)for little $$ and use it as my commuter car for my 70 mile work commute. Had 130k when I got it. It smoked and used about a quart every 300-500 miles. I put regular MAX life in it for 1000 miles and the consumption dropped. I then ran Maxlife Full syn for 2 oil changes of 2000 miles each and now it has Mobil 1 HM oil in it and with 141k miles now it uses just about a quart of oil in 1200 miles. I can live with that. I plan on 6k miles changes using Mobil 1 for here on out. I switched to Mobil 1 from MAXLIFE because the price was the same and I feel the Mobil is a better synthetic.

I don't for a minute beleive the HM oil story on Saturnfans. I've visited that site before and it does have some good information but a lot of misinformation too.

My advice is run HIGH MILEAGE oil of your choice and I prefer the Synthetics.

bowdown2.gif
bowdown2.gif

Well, I did the first oil change today. It was BLAcK! I don't have it on the road yet and probably won't for a while, so I just wanted to get something fresh in there. So, per your recommendations, I put in 1/4 qt mobil 1 5w30, 1/4 qt maxlife blend 5w30, 1/2 qt auto zone full syn 10w30, 1 qt nextgen maxlife 10w40, and 2qt delo 10w30 blend!

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
Well, I did the first oil change today. It was BLAcK! I don't have it on the road yet and probably won't for a while, so I just wanted to get something fresh in there. So, per your recommendations, I put in 1/4 qt mobil 1 5w30, 1/4 qt maxlife blend 5w30, 1/2 qt auto zone full syn 10w30, 1 qt nextgen maxlife 10w40, and 2qt delo 10w30 blend!

Who recommended that Frankenbrew?!? Why mix oils??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back