Which Amsoil European 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nolesfan
Don't worry about VW 502 cert oil. This engine is past that warranty period. Use an oil you feel comfortable with in the correct viscosity range (5w40) and keep up on your OCIs. The 2.5l is easy on oil. In this case, I would use T6, M1 or Castrol (in 0w30 or 0w40) and call it a day. There's no reason to overthink this or pay more for an oil the 2.5l won't even take advantage of.

Well everything you mentioned is VW 502.00 except T6.

Well, yeah. I have experience with each but T6, so I tend to recommend what I know works well from personal use or other's recommendations
whistle.gif
. The 2.5l should run anything within this range without issue. Plus, the only reason I mentioned these is pricing. They're so cheap, why bother searching for something else when these are more than good enough for this application?

Last edited:
Well, yeah. I have experience with each but T6, so I tend to recommend what I know works well from personal use or other's recommendations
whistle.gif
. The 2.5l should run anything within this range without issue. Plus, the only reason I mentioned these is pricing. They're so cheap, why bother searching for something else when these are more than good enough for this application?

Well yes, except Castrol 0W30 which is running around $9 a quart. Wal Mart is best destination for buying Euro oils (M1 or Castrol 0W40).

Originally Posted By: edyvw
whistle.gif

Well yes, except Castrol 0W30 which is running around $9 a quart. Wal Mart is best destination for buying Euro oils (M1 or Castrol 0W40).

So true on that 0w30. It was nice when it was lower, but synthetics have really jumped in price the last 6 months or so, at least around me. Aside from Wal-Mart, auto store pricing has almost pushed me into buying oil from Amazon completely. Much cheaper than stores now.

Yeah, the T6 is not VW 502. The Castrol innquestion is in a black jug. It says 0w40 Edge with Syntec European Formula. I believe the gold bottle is Edge Titanium

As per your earlier post, the Edge is less expensive AND it meets the correct spec. Sounds like an easy choice to me.

While even Rotella T6 would work in your application, I feel like Edge 0w-40 is a better product just given all the stringent MFG specs that it meets.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Yeah, the T6 is not VW 502. The Castrol innquestion is in a black jug. It says 0w40 Edge with Syntec European Formula. I believe the gold bottle is Edge Titanium

Like we mentioned, T6's non VW 502 won't be an issue since the car in question is beyond warranty; that cert is only required for engine warranty work to be done, which expired at I think 60k miles. I know VW extended the warranty to 120k miles on 1.8T powered cars several years ago, but I doubt that applied to the 2.5l engines.

Check out the Autozone stores where you live. Having heard of the clearance on oils their having here on BITOG, I went to an AZ store where I live. Castrol Euro 0w-40 German made...$3 a qt. Valvoline Blend blue bottle 5w-20...$3 Qt. as well. Great, now have more oil in the stash. I was planning on running Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 on next OC just to see how it compares w/Castrol 0w-30. Plans may change. I may end up using the Castrol 0w-40 in the VW and the Pennzoil (mixed w/5w-20) in the other cars requiring 5w-30 oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
So.... My significant other balked at the cost of ordering the Amsoil
smirk.gif
so tried to pick up some M1 0w40 at Wally world and they are out of it, and I also noticed it went up to $28.xx for a jug. They also have the Castrol Edge 0w40 for $24.33 a 5qt jug, and the additonl quart is $7.18 (6 at system)

That being said, when comparing to the Rotella T6 at $21.74 / Gallon, it would be more economical to buy 2 gallons vs 1 gallon + 2 qts, and in that case I'm better off buying 3 gallons to get 2 oil changes.

Now....

Looking at the 2 change idea, to get 2 changes with T6 would cost $67.18 (3 gal + tax) . 2 changes with the Edge would be $66.80 (2 jugs + 2 QTS + tax)

When you look at it that way, even though it is negligible, the Edge is less expensive and it is VW 502 spec'd which the T6 is not, although their tech line told me it was more than good enough for that engine?

The oil filler says use Castrol Only lol, but I remember reading not such good things about this oil. Would it be a bad idea to go the Castrol route and stick to the T6 which is in the car now?

Long post, I'm sure some of it is redundant and been covered before, sorry, but what is my beat option here?

Thanks friends!

You asked your SO for her opinion of your choice of oil for your car and she balked? Over what, $10? That sounds like a nightmare. Unless you want to spend the rest of your life pu**y whipped, you should either put your pants back on or send her walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back