Price Check...4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD with the 4.7 liter V8. Found one locally with 120,000 miles in very clean shape. Not sure about the maintenance history or how detailed the records are but owner states he does have records.

I know the timing belt should have been changed at 90,000. I have also heard of exhaust manifolds cracking but most feel the 4.7 is a very reliable engine. Any other items to be cautious of?

What about a reasonable price for this vehicle?

My mom has a 2002 with the 4.7. She bought it used, and it's been very reliable. Great choice, but don't expect very good mileage. She gets about 14 in town and about 18 highway. I would take a look at Edmunds and KBB for price guide.

My parents have had incredibly great luck with a 4.7L v8 Tundra. The only item that seemed excessive was it was over $600 to replace the starter due to location and that was with a $60/hr indy mechanic. It is buried. I believe the dealer wanted $1200.

I have an 03 the first year with the 4.7 V8 and it's been absolutely trouble free to 135K miles. My manual called for a belt change and spark plugs at 105K miles. The old plugs came out looking brand new. One reason for choosing the 4Runner was the assembly plant in Japan that builds the 4Runner and the Lexus vehicles. It has been rated as the best in the auto industry for quality.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
check the frame with you being in va.

My part of the state on the VA/NC border does not see much snow or ice and when we do they put down mostly sand. My 99 Tacoma frame was perfect and the local dealer stated they had seen very few problems with local frames unless they came from the mountains.

Last edited:
I had an '05 4Runner with the 4.7. It's probably one of the most reliable (but unappreciated)V8s ever made.

If it was taken care of 120,000 miles is barely just broken in.
smile.gif

I can get the vehicle for $8k, maybe a little less. As I stated maintenance records are available but I don't know the extent or details of these records yet. For all I know the records may be receipts for oil changes only. Vehicle is very clean inside and out and looks to have been well taken care of.

Local search on auto trader shows that the going price for these is more than $8k and usually with quite a bit more mileage.

Are plugs and timing belt the only thing that should have been performed before 120,000 miles? Looks like the transmission and differentials should have been changed too.

Last edited:
regardless of the toyota people who say 120k is just broken in, make sure you inspect the suspension because 120k is still 120k.

All fluids, and by now I'd shotgun the timing belt, unless if it was changed
Actually, duh, I forgot: the 4Runners are kinda known for "strawberry milkshake" failures when the ATF cooler fails inside the radiator. If the seller indicates a recent transmission flush (and/or new radiator) then it's a sure bet it failed. Now that I am reminded of that, I'd probably shotgun a replacement trans cooler, skipping the in-radiator one altogether. [Then again, maybe this is just a 3.4L V6 issue?]

Originally Posted By: supton
All fluids, and by now I'd shotgun the timing belt, unless if it was changed
Actually, duh, I forgot: the 4Runners are kinda known for "strawberry milkshake" failures when the ATF cooler fails inside the radiator. If the seller indicates a recent transmission flush (and/or new radiator) then it's a sure bet it failed. Now that I am reminded of that, I'd probably shotgun a replacement trans cooler, skipping the in-radiator one altogether. [Then again, maybe this is just a 3.4L V6 issue?]

It is....just a 3.4L issue.

Will not be able to dig deep into the maintenance history but the timing belt was replaced at 110,000 miles. Should be able to find out more after Christmas.

Good point on checking out the suspension components.

Check the frame, it might be a northern transplant. Up hear they rot out very badly, especially in ski areas where 4wd SUV's are popular.

I know used vehicles are nuts but its a $3k-$4k truck to me.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Check the frame, it might be a northern transplant. Up hear they rot out very badly, especially in ski areas where 4wd SUV's are popular.

I know used vehicles are nuts but its a $3k-$4k truck to me.

I have reservations about putting down that much on a used vehicle with that many miles. Even though I know it is a Toyota and mine have been utterly reliable for over double that mileage, they are selling it for a reason. I'm probably going to pass unless they come off the price quite a bit more.

You need to stay away from Toyotas and Hondas if you don't want to overpay for a used vehicle then. Find something that depreciates faster or you're outta luck. The market generally dictates the price and people ask those high amounts b/c they can get them!

Here 8 grand for a clean 4x4 with maintenance record is a decent price.

I didn't know there were v8 engines with timing belts.
Interesting.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Here 8 grand for a clean 4x4 with maintenance record is a decent price.

I didn't know there were v8 engines with timing belts.
Interesting.

The only issue I have been able to find thus far is the headlights are a little hazed over. No big deal there. I will put it on a lift and look at it a little closer next week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
You need to stay away from Toyotas and Hondas if you don't want to overpay for a used vehicle then. Find something that depreciates faster or you're outta luck. The market generally dictates the price and people ask those high amounts b/c they can get them!

That's because even used with 100K on them they are reliable. I think the the term "overpay" is somewhat "subjective".

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What do they want for it? I suspect a lot.

Started at $8,800 but went to $8,500 during the second phone call without me even asking. It could be had for $8,000 and maybe a little less. Once I get it on a lift I'll decide if I even want to pursue it any farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back