Music is horrible today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
there is a ton of good music today. you just won't find it on the radio...

You hit the nail squarely on it's head!

Doesn't matter the genre. Lots of excellent, recently recorded music out there.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: theKman
"Iggy Azalea" is one of the most disgusting creatures I've ever laid eyes/ears on.

Disgusting creature? Really?

iazalea1.jpg

A well painted hollow log .....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
GT, is that you?

That exact same thought was just going through my head...

Same here.

Yes, it is him.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: theKman
"Iggy Azalea" is one of the most disgusting creatures I've ever laid eyes/ears on.

Disgusting creature? Really?

iazalea1.jpg

I'd hit it
10.gif

There is still excellent music out there...it's just not the stuff you hear on the radio made for the sheeple.

I don't listen to the radio. 90% of the artists I listen to aren't well known enough to be on the radio because people want to listen to [censored].

Originally Posted By: grampi
With the exception of 90s country, there hasn't been any decent music produced in at least 25 years...nobody these days has any writing talent, then again, apparently none is needed as it seems many people will listen to anything...

'90s country?

Like Kenny Chesney's sexy tractor. C'mon, he should have stuck to trying to rhyme coconut and flip flop with those hack attempt at being a country-pop Jimmy Buffet

That "Chris Gaines" Garth Brooks thing?

Brooks and Dunn's "Boot Scootin' Boogie"

Shania Twain...the country music Chad Kroeger. Thanks Canada.
33.gif

And, just barely edging out Vanilla Ice for being the worst part of '90s music, Miley Cyrus' Dad and his Achey Breakey Heart.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Miley Cyrus' Dad and his Achey Breakey Heart.

Curse you! I wish I had not read your post to the end!

I now have that "melody" and "lyrics" going through my head.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I despise most...if not ALL...of the top 40 music. Garbage to my ears. Hideous actually. Been that way for a couple of decades for me.

I'm the same way, I get seriously grumpy at work when someone changes it from the rock station over to the top 40 one. It's just the same nauseating crud over and over again. When I was growing up, top 40 music was rock, not this nonsense bubblegum junk they make now.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They still play music on the radio?
I've always been an anti-top 40's snob.
Heavy metal and prog rock fan since the early 70's.

Even at 45 years old I still listen mostly to metal. I grew up as a teenager in the 80s when metal was in it's heyday. A few of my favorites are still recording thankfully, like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Slayer, but there are a lot less metal bands now compared to then. I hope it makes a comeback!

There has always been bad music, and there's always been good music. The styles changes over time and what's "popular" as defined by radio play and record sales (both of which are becoming/have become meaningless measures) certainly changes but to suggest that "today's music" is uniformly bad just pegs you as an old man shaking your cane at the kids in your yard.

Almost everyone has a nostalgia for the music of their youth. The good old days. A lot of selective memories, conveniently forgetting the terrible stuff that was out then too. Even our favorite bands have some duds.

jeff

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was 16 in 1968 and the old folks said the same thing then.

You were the perfect age during THEE BEST era of music!! You and my gf's dad are the same age. He said at his high school during lunch,he and his friends had a band and would get on the stage and play Beatles songs.
11.gif

The great thing about these days is that there are so many kinds of music so readily available, you should never have to worry about finding what you like.

Spend the money on XM or a media player and never worry again. It's been almost 2 years since I turned on FM and I couldn't be happier.

With the exception of 90s country, there hasn't been any decent music produced in at least 25 years...nobody these days has any writing talent, then again, apparently none is needed as it seems many people will listen to anything...

'90s country?

Like Kenny Chesney's sexy tractor. C'mon, he should have stuck to trying to rhyme coconut and flip flop with those hack attempt at being a country-pop Jimmy Buffet

33.gif

And, just barely edging out Vanilla Ice for being the worst part of '90s music, Miley Cyrus' Dad and his Achey Breakey Heart.

So country's not your thing, or you just didn't like 90s country?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was 16 in 1968 and the old folks said the same thing then.

You were the perfect age during THEE BEST era of music!! You and my gf's dad are the same age. He said at his high school during lunch,he and his friends had a band and would get on the stage and play Beatles songs.
11.gif

You got that right! There will never, ever be music produced again as good as the music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s...never!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They still play music on the radio?
I've always been an anti-top 40's snob.
Heavy metal and prog rock fan since the early 70's.

Even at 45 years old I still listen mostly to metal. I grew up as a teenager in the 80s when metal was in it's heyday. A few of my favorites are still recording thankfully, like Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Slayer, but there are a lot less metal bands now compared to then. I hope it makes a comeback!

I think there's actually a lot more metal music, but I don't like a lot of it. You've got speed, thrash, death, black, power, doom, and so on. The bands you mention tend to be much more melodic than a lot of the current stuff. Many of the modern metal bands have the "cookie monster" vocals that don't do much for me. Metal seems to be really big in Europe.

'90s country?

33.gif

So country's not your thing, or you just didn't like 90s country?

I don't like '90s Country.

That being said, it is preferable to today's country which is all pop noise sung with a nasally twang.

I really think I started to dislike country listening to Eddie Rabbitt play over and over and over again on the jukebox at the coffee-shop I bussed tables at when I was a kid. Occasionally someone would cough up a quarter and play Willie Nelson and I thank them for that. I still dig Willie.

Credit where credit is due, that crossover country-pop noise that Rabbitt was playing became the mainstream. It is country music now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back