How old is the Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Castrol Edge in the gold bottle today. I know some of the bottles are older. Here is a link to what they look like. Notice it does not say "with Titanium". On the back is says good for 15k OCI. It is rated at GF-4, and SM. I am guessing this is around 3 or 4 years old?

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1361159-FS-Castrol-Edge-10w-30-Five-Quarts-25-(MN)

The other bottles do not say anything about 15k oci. But it does say "with Titanium". Those say GF-5 SN which I believe to be the latest. No mention of dexos either. Looks similar to this

http://oiloil.blog.com/that-iscastrol-06...k-of-6-reviews/

There are some numbers on the bottom of the bottles but I cannot encrypt the date unless someone knows how to do that. This should be good for my 2008 Impreza as the older GF-4 was all current at that time.

I have never used Castrol except in my Triumph. How is it compared to PP and regular M1?

Check the date codes on the bottle to determine the age.

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

You can determine the date of manufacture by locating the fill code on the bottom of the back panel. It is composed of a series of letters and numbers, with the first five characters being the most important.

For example, if you have M04023...., the "M" would represent the plant location.
The five digits '04023' represent the date of production.
The number 04 represents the last digit of the year (2004) and the '023' represents the day of the year, based on 365 calendar days, on which it was produced (January 23).

Therefore Lot# M040236ATW2418346 16:38 was manufactured on January 23rd of 2004."

The 15k Extended Gold bottle is the new stuff, been out a year at the most.

I consider the Gold bottle Edge to be one of the very top full syns commonly available over the counter.

The EDGE gold bottle and Mobil 1 EP are the only two readily available (at Walmart) oils that claim to be capable of 15K OCIs.

Which of these would you choose for an extended OCI?

The stuff that says 15k OCI is from late 2008. Still good? The others are from 2012.

Originally Posted By: stygz
The stuff that says 15k OCI is from late 2008. Still good? The others are from 2012.

No. The shelf life is 5 years, you ship these hazardous chemical to me so I will dispose it properly for you free of charge. J/K

It's good for engines with SM spec or older.

laugh.gif
pretty sure my 2008 Impreza is sm gf-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back