185/60/14 with 195/70/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I is again friends, with another one of them thar tire questions.

Today I put two 195/70/14 "Primewell" brand tires on the front of the vehicle formerly known as "Thunder the Wonder Pig," (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass).

I'm still running two of the old 185/75/14's on the back. The problem however, is that these two tires on the back are cracked and were made back in 2006. So their days are numbered.

I do have another 195/70/14 that is worn, but the side walls are not cracked and it does have a few miles left to go before it is worn out.

In addition to this, I have one "Cooper" brand tire that is 185/60/14 that was given to me. It's in good shape with plenty of tread and no cracks. Said tire was made in 2010.

Other than looking a little odd, would there be any danger in running this smaller tire on the back of the car with the used 195/70/14 on the other side.

Is there that much of a difference?

Would it "pull" the car to one side?

Would it wear faster since it's smaller and therefore would be rolling faster than the other side?

Would it affect braking since it is smaller and therefore would be turning faster than the other side when I applied the brakes?

Opinions, theories, ideas?

Thanks.

Don't.

Just....don't.

Yes, you'll have handling issues, it will mess up braking too, and the car will pull as it sits lower on one side because the tires are so different in size.

If Florida had a safety inspection, this would fail. It should fail.

Last edited:
I just went through something like this. Had 7 year old cheapie Chinese all-season tires on my car when I got it. They were cracked, dry rotted and worn funny (ball joint issues). I was too cheap to get new tires. A friend then gave me a set of slightly smaller tires and while they were all the same size, they were different brands and ages. Had them mounted and one had a sidewall bulge and another went flat days later. I then rummaged the salvage yard in hopes of finding some and I did but realized they were different size too and with a 4x4 vehicle, that's not what you want.

So, I did what I should have done ages ago. I bought 4 brand new Cooper tires. I realized it isn't worth the headache, reliability or even getting someone killed. I wish I wasn't so stubborn and did it sooner. I didn't, and still don't have the money to pay for them so they're on credit. But, they're step 1 in having a reliable vehicle. If you get cheap tires, they'll wear and your safety is lessened, even in rain. It's not worth it. I hate having to owe people money, especially a bank but the confidence in my vehicle overcomes that.

Think it over, it's three sizes too small.

I'd watch the dumpsters, scrapyards, and craigslists for the right size tire. The cars that run them are all getting old and soon to be retired. The world will be your oyster.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Other than looking a little odd, would there be any danger in running this smaller tire on the back of the car with the used 195/70/14 on the other side.

Is there that much of a difference?

There is a lot of difference. Load rating: 91 vs 82, and over 8% difference in diameter.

Quote:

Would it "pull" the car to one side?

Possibly. Plus you'll have a weird vibration.

Quote:
Would it wear faster since it's smaller and therefore would be rolling faster than the other side?

Both of the rear tires will wear unevenly because the car will be lopsided due to the diameter difference.

Quote:

Opinions, theories, ideas?

Stop smoking whatever you're smoking and get a proper tire.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Think it over, it's three sizes too small.

I'd watch the dumpsters, scrapyards, and craigslists for the right size tire. The cars that run them are all getting old and soon to be retired. The world will be your oyster.

That's actually where I found tire number three, (the 195/70/14). Apparently, someone had a blow out and replaced two tires rather than one. Bad for them, good for me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Stop smoking whatever you're smoking

305's Filtered Cigars Menthol 100's. (Made in the USA). They're 9.99 a carton. I figure if I'm gonna kill myself, I ain't gonna spend a lot of money doing it.

They're 9.99 a carton. I figure if I'm gonna kill myself, I ain't gonna spend a lot of money doing it.

Yeah, but how many cartons will it take? I'm sure there are cheaper ways out there to accomplish the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They're 9.99 a carton. I figure if I'm gonna kill myself, I ain't gonna spend a lot of money doing it.

Yeah, but how many cartons will it take? I'm sure there are cheaper ways out there to accomplish the same thing.

True, but I don't think I would enjoy it as much.

If you are gonna have a flat in a FWD, its best to have it back. I blew a tire on my work Transit and barely swerved going 60 I drove for 5 miles on the flat going 50. Tire was DOA, but the wheel was fine.YMMV of course. If you were closer Id give you a 195 70 14. They are the stock tire size for the 528e. 14" tires are a vanishing item. Mostly all you can get are all seasons. I'd run what is on the car and be on the look out for another pair.

And remember if you wreck after a flat on your old cracked tire, derp, all that sunshine.

If you wreck spinning out on some oddball thing, someone can sue sue sue.

Stop it.
This has gone far enough.

Grab the 4 stock wheels, and hit the web for tier 2 tires in the OE size

Probably about $250-$300 installed.
This is getting legally and dynamically sketchy.

Well adjusted people know when they're beaten, and should just pay up.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
D

If Florida had a safety inspection, this would fail. It should fail.

+1

Unsafe, and should be embarrassing too - how will you feel if your questionable maintenance practices end up killing someone?

Smaller tires are one thing, bigger are one thing. But different sizes on the same car is not reasonably safe, two different sizes on the same axle is plain dumb and asking for and accident and a lawsuit. Everyone has a smartphone with camera, a few pics of the thunderpig after a wreck and you will be paying them for a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Smaller tires are one thing, bigger are one thing. But different sizes on the same car is not reasonably safe, two different sizes on the same axle is plain dumb and asking for and accident and a lawsuit. Everyone has a smartphone with camera, a few pics of the thunderpig after a wreck and you will be paying them for a long time.

Slightly different sizes front and rear is okay, at the very least one of MB cars has different sizes front and rear, 225/45-15 front and 245/40-17 rear. To match size the rear should be 255/40-17.

Some cars have faster tire wear on either front or rear, S2000 rear wear out much faster than front at a rate of more than 2 to 1. Start with matching diameter 215/45-17 front and 245/40-17 rear, after 8-12k miles the rear tread went down to 2/32" while the front is at 7/32". Now the rear has smaller diameter than front.

Back to the topic, it's absolutely a NO to have different size on the same axle. Get 2 195/70-14 for the rear and keep the slightly used 195/70-14 as spare.

IIRC the wonder pig is a 'farm vehicle', never sees the public road and is just used for hauling stuff round the garden etc.

If that's accurate I'd say use whatever tyre you have laying around, but if it ever sees public Tarmac or traffic then do the right thing and use matching tyres

Originally Posted By: Olas
IIRC the wonder pig is a 'farm vehicle', never sees the public road and is just used for hauling stuff round the garden etc.

If that's accurate I'd say use whatever tyre you have laying around, but if it ever sees public Tarmac or traffic then do the right thing and use matching tyres

No, no that's the bluesmobile, a Astro/Safari.

A little clarity as even I get confused from time to time.

"Thunder the Wonder Pig" is a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass that see's a lot of the highways and by ways of life.

The ever faithful "Bluesmobile" is a 1993 Ford Taurus that I use when I'm not in the Oldsmobile.

The soon to be world famous "LUV" machine is a 1986 Chevy Astro van that never sees the road. It is the "farm mule" that hauls brush, pulls stumps and carries tools around the farm.

"Tighty Whitey" is a 1996 Buick Century Station Wagon that I gave to one of my son-in-laws.

"The Golden Sombrero" is my wife's 2004 Chrysler Sebring, (It's white but has a tan convertible top).

Thanks for all the advice fellas - really, a lot of good wisdom here and I truly appreciate your opinions.

So yes, the little "Cooper" tire will be staying in the shed while I keep a sharp look out for the proper size tire.

I still have the four vibrating "Douglas" brand tires I took off the ever faithful "Bluesmobile." They're 205/70/14. If push comes to shove, I could run those for a while. Who knows, maybe they would even balance on "Thunder the Wonder Pig." If that would happen, then the world truly would be my oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back