Magnatec Spotted at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol do have Synblend 0w20 on their website including PDS & MSDS. Amazon have sold it, but it's out of stock right now.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Originally Posted By: pbm

PS: Can anybody verify if the GTX Synblend 5w20 has poor cold start properties as suggested earlier? I just bought a bunch at $1 a quart so I hope not.

Here's a link to the PDS....so are these bad cold weather

No Castrol always does that, they put the minimum/maximum values of the specification and they don't put the actual value of their oils. Don't worry about that.

It's not poor since it's a 5w, but compared to most xw20 oils (and xw30) oils, it is on the heavy side at 40c and 100c.

Having a thicker than normal 5w20 or 5w30 might help on a car that burns oil that specifies that grade.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
According to Castrol's website it's a full synthetic,

Where did you find this info? I'm looking on Castrol's US site and don't see any mention that it's full syn.

And when I look at the PDS, it says "Unique synthetic technology to fight against harmful sludge build-up" which again does not mean that it's full syn.

I was looking at the picture of the bottle and it says full-syn, looking at the website more there is no mention if it's part-syn-full-syn or conventional other than looking at the bottle pics (even for it's other oils.) We'll have to wait until it's official release.

This is the Magnatec 0w20 that we would like to have:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/CF61F1A2E941ED7A80257C980058CA57/$File/BPXE-9H7DHZ.pdf

I saw the new Magnatec at AA today.
It does say 'Full Synthetic' on the bottle and sells for $7.19 a quart.

It seems that Castrol is using EM's marketing strategy:

Castrol Edge EP (Gold) is equivalent to Mobil 1 EP.
Castrol Edge (Black) is equivalent to regular Mobil 1.
GTX Magnatec would be equivalent to Mobil Super Synthetic.

These oils are price structured the same way too...

Originally Posted By: aa1986
We are going to need pictures of these contradictions!

Magnatec is branding like Edge...there's maybe 10 Magnatecs in Oz...two of which in my dark shed...
output.jpg

One on the left is a 5W40 "synthetic" A3B4, on the right a 5W30 GF5 "mineral", that could be marketted as a semi synth.

There's
5W30 fuel saver
10W30 "stop and go"
10W40 (regular averyday Magnatec)
15W40 diesel
5W40 diesel (GrIII)
Then the "professional range", which is where the 20L drums come in.
20s through 40s, VW compliant, etc. etc. etc.

Edge here has full synth, semis, and a 25W60 which is certainly closer to dino (in makeup AND price) than anything.

Yep, but it would be odd in the US to get both synthetic and synthetic blend magnatec.

pbm will need to confirm which grades he saw full synthetic on because happylittlepony said 5w30 and 10w30 said synthetic blend.

I knew that both Edge & Magnatec could be full syn or syn blend but didn't realize Edge could be mineral as well.

That's a surprise.

I looked at the Magnatec 0w20 and it definitely said 'Full Synthetic' on the lower front of the bottle. I'm almost certain the 5w20 and 5w30 did too.

This is what caused me to speculate that this is Castrol's product to compete with Mobil Super Synthetic.

Here is the response I received from Castrol US:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

As of January 2015, Castrol GTX SYNBLEND is being replaced in the US with Castrol GTX MAGNATEC, a leading Castrol engine oil brand. It will be available in the following grades and formulations:

0W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
5W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
5W-30 – Semi Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
10W-30 – Semi Synthetic

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

I have no idea why they would need to split the product line with both synthetic and semi-synthetic, but it does illustrate how the lines between "full synthetic" and "conventional" are starting to become more blurred.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Here is the response I received from Castrol US:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

As of January 2015, Castrol GTX SYNBLEND is being replaced in the US with Castrol GTX MAGNATEC, a leading Castrol engine oil brand. It will be available in the following grades and formulations:

0W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
5W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
5W-30 – Semi Synthetic meeting Dexos 1
10W-30 – Semi Synthetic

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Thanks for that. I sent an email on another topic and they replied right away. I'm impressed. Now they just need to publish meaningful PDS's.

I took an educated guess that the $1 price everywhere on Synblend meant it was being discontinued. Looks like I was right.

Now I wonder what the reason for Valvoline's $1 ATF is. Still haven't seen anything different on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back