Bloomberg article on Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I have a bottle of Techron now laying in my front seat. Always used it. though Redline Fuel system cleaner has popped up to try.

Since Chevron did the original research with BMW and spent the research dollars, I see no reason to use a different additive until one is PROVEN more effective than Techron. ed

Last edited:
^ sure for the concentrate, but does that mean you go exclusively to Chevron for gas?

Because if not, you're using the other additives that have been proven to work due to the rules for joining top tier.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Since Chevron did the original research with BMW and spent the research dollars, I see no reason to use a different additive until one is PROVEN more effective than Techron. ed

got a point there Ed.

Yes Chiefsfan1: I believe in supporting a company who spent the research dollars to provide us with a very good product. Sure makes sense to me. Ed

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have not used any fuel additive since 1999. My truck runs great, I wonder how much money I have saved???

Your ECM can compensate for dirty injectors to some extent, the vehicle will run well, but MPG will be lower that if the injectors were clean.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Yes Chiefsfan1: I believe in supporting a company who spent the research dollars to provide us with a very good product. Sure makes sense to me. Ed

I have no issue with using Chevron-branded fuel if it's convenient or the price is good, but frankly I'm not spending $2-5 more per tank simply to support Chevron.

It's not as if other fuel and additive manufacturers haven't done just as much research to develop newer and better additives. Chevron itself keeps on working on its own additives to make them better, as does Lubrizol, Afton, BASF, and other chemical companies. It's gotten to the point where a high quality additive may not be a fungible commodity, but it is interchangeable regarding effectiveness.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have not used any fuel additive since 1999. My truck runs great, I wonder how much money I have saved???

Your ECM can compensate for dirty injectors to some extent, the vehicle will run well, but MPG will be lower that if the injectors were clean.

I get the same economy as always...Changed my o2 sensors and that made a difference...

How do you know the injectors aren't clean?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How does he know they are clean? Many many studies have shown the importance of fuel detergents and that they actually do something. BMW did plenty of testing showing additive levels do matter which led to the creation of top tier certification.

I'll go back to the example of smoking. Many people smoked every day of their lives starting at 16 or younger and lived well past 90. They would make the claim their lungs were perfectly healthy and smoking posed no risk. There was no point in stopping. Just because they saw no issues, does that really mean smoking was harmless?

Hmm, so the fact that I've never used a fuel system cleaner of any sort in any of my cars, ever, means that like smoking I'm building a time bomb in my engine? Besides that I'm not sure what your analogy means.

I do use a Top Tier fuel mostly, since that is what is sold at the Kwik Trip near my house.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
How does he know they are clean? Many many studies have shown the importance of fuel detergents and that they actually do something. BMW did plenty of testing showing additive levels do matter which led to the creation of top tier certification.

I'll go back to the example of smoking. Many people smoked every day of their lives starting at 16 or younger and lived well past 90. They would make the claim their lungs were perfectly healthy and smoking posed no risk. There was no point in stopping. Just because they saw no issues, does that really mean smoking was harmless?

I agree. Every time I've added some sort of fuel system cleaner I just feel like I'm wasting money. Even had some 100k fuel injectors rebuilt and flow tested with no advantage.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

My engine runs fine. My daughters car sat for 3 years and the injectors were dirty and the engine ran rough...it was pretty obvious. My buddy put them on his test machine, and we could see the spray pattern on each injector. He tried to ultra-sonic clean them but it made no difference. He had some used ones in a box and gave them to me. Put them back in the daughters car and it ran great

BTW, E10 gas has alcohol in it and alcohol is one of the best fuel cleaners there is, Why would I waste money and buy more cleaners?

Last edited:

My engine runs fine. My daughters car sat for 3 years and the injectors were dirty and the engine ran rough...it was pretty obvious. My buddy put them on his test machine, and we could see the spray pattern on each injector. He tried to ultra-sonic clean them but it made no difference. He had some used ones in a box and gave them to me. Put them back in the daughters car and it ran great

BTW, E10 gas has alcohol in it and alcohol is one of the best fuel cleaners there is, Why would I waste money and buy more cleaners?

So how did you fix your daughter's car? EDIT: Nevermind, i see you didn't fix them.

How did the injectors fail/get dirty? Time alone won't do that.

Last edited:
The car sat for three years, and the fuel inside the injectors turned to gum/crud. The car ran okay for a while, but began to run very rough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back