2015 Impala vs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Rather have a Chrysler 300 SRT8. Should be in the OP's list as a competitor.

Not a fan of Chrysler.

I don't care what you're a fan of, put it in the comparo anyhow. Or are you afraid it will show up the vanilla Chevy?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
That list is all over the place. The first 3 are somewhat related, and in the same class. The 2 Chevys don't belong in that list. I keep hearing that the Impala is such a great car, but I still don't see any of them on the road? Do you want a small, sporty sedan; large grandpa mobile (highway cruiser); or muscle car? Answer those questions first.

I'm surprised whenever I'm in the midwest I'm amazed at all the American cars I see.

Rather have a Chrysler 300 SRT8. Should be in the OP's list as a competitor.

Not a fan of Chrysler.

I don't care what you're a fan of, put it in the comparo anyhow. Or are you afraid it will show up the vanilla Chevy?

No. Its just not a car I would buy. Aside from the V8 I see no reason to buy one of those unless you can get the Hemi with the new 8-Speed transmission. When I checked earlier it said the hemi came with a 5 speed? I'm sure it gets the job done but the last one I drove shifted like a minivan...

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
That list is all over the place. The first 3 are somewhat related, and in the same class. The 2 Chevys don't belong in that list. I keep hearing that the Impala is such a great car, but I still don't see any of them on the road? Do you want a small, sporty sedan; large grandpa mobile (highway cruiser); or muscle car? Answer those questions first.

I don't want any of those specifically. When you settle on only one category then your choices become limited.

How do you recommend a car for someone when they want a muscle car or maybe a cruiser or maybe a luxury car..... that being said skip the audi and bmw. Expensive and complicated a lot of shops won't work on them. They're definitely not a car to own unless you have deep pockets. Why not a Ford fusion? Or a new mustang? Given your goofy list I'd say maybe the impala. But that being said Chevy quality in my opinion is that up to par in some areas.

I saw two Impalas tonight, a black one and a red one. They look great in person and I love the size of them (big!) I feel like the Chevy SS Sedan is the best compromise between sports car and large/practical sedan, but that pushes the sticker into the mid-upper 40's...which is Audi S4 territory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
How do you recommend a car for someone when they want a muscle car or maybe a cruiser or maybe a luxury car..... that being said skip the audi and bmw. Expensive and complicated a lot of shops won't work on them. They're definitely not a car to own unless you have deep pockets. Why not a Ford fusion? Or a new mustang? Given your goofy list I'd say maybe the impala. But that being said Chevy quality in my opinion is that up to par in some areas.

Actually the way to own an Audi, BMW or Mercedes is to get a warranty. Then you just take it to the dealer. When you pull up in a Mercedes, the comments you get are way different than when you pull up in a Ford or Chevy.

So how do you recommend a car? I think people just recommend what they like. With that in mind, I'd say a 2011-2013 E class, probably E350 4Matic, they are in the 30-35k range with 20-30k on them and they would still have the factory warranty which was 4 years 50k, then you just get an extended warranty and get rid of the car just before the warranty expires if you're worried about repair costs. If someone is in the market for a 30-40k car, they should have deep pockets to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Actually the way to own an Audi, BMW or Mercedes is to get a warranty. Then you just take it to the dealer. When you pull up in a Mercedes, the comments you get are way different than when you pull up in a Ford or Chevy.

So how do you recommend a car? I think people just recommend what they like. With that in mind, I'd say a 2011-2013 E class, probably E350 4Matic, they are in the 30-35k range with 20-30k on them and they would still have the factory warranty which was 4 years 50k, then you just get an extended warranty and get rid of the car just before the warranty expires if you're worried about repair costs. If someone is in the market for a 30-40k car, they should have deep pockets to begin with.

The OP is probably buying the car based on what he likes the best, and not what others think.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

The OP is probably buying the car based on what he likes the best, and not what others think.

True. Isn't that the purpose of this section? Lol

It's nice to see what others think as well.

Last edited:
You should also be able to score a Taurus SHO for $40k. It should also be on the list and has it all - fun to drive, AWD, and a decent amount of tech.

I love this list of different cars. It's how I think too. I generally shop somewhat by price, always consider practicality and what I want/like is of utmost importance. It's OK to compare cars of different classes, different uses and different prices.

I'll take cars I like (for what ever reason) and compare them. Sometimes I'll even compare strengths and weaknesses of each on my whiteboard on the shop wall, using a bullet style list.

Don't forget the Taurus SHO. I've seen them heavily discounted, AWD and they really are amazingly fun to drive, with that twin turbo V6. They are high 13 second cars @100MPH stock, with just a mild tune, they break into the high 12's!

2015-ford-taurus-sho-1.jpg

2013-ford-taurus-sho-interiorjpg.jpg

Audi - Very nice German sedan. Excellent drivetrain, I think they fixed the oil consumption issue with the 2014+ models. Looks great in brilliant black.
(A4 Premium Quattro 6-Speed Manual in Brilliant Black w/ 18" RS wheels and heated seats)
$37,300

Nice to know you could have a manual trans with an Audi, I can add it to my wish list, thanks.

If you like the look, you can have the mini me of it, a.k.a Audi A3.

BMW - Typical BMW build quality (good). Looks like a Honda. Nickel and dimed on every option. Like the GS, the AWD is only available in an automatic. Looks best in Grey IMO.
(2015 328i xDrive Sedan, No Options)
$41,000

What? No manual with thw AWD option? I thought it was only for the 328d... and you can not find any 328d manual anyway.

If that was me, I would prefer to drop the AWD to get a manual, it is higher in my priority list.

Since size does not seem to matter to you, what do you think of the 2-Series? It seems to be more of a BMW than the last generation of 3-Series from what I read.

If only we could get the 1-Series here... why only the coupes? You know BMW, father with young children love nice cars too!!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I love this list of different cars. It's how I think too. I generally shop somewhat by price, always consider practicality and what I want/like is of utmost importance. It's OK to compare cars of different classes, different uses and different prices.

I'll take cars I like (for what ever reason) and compare them. Sometimes I'll even compare strengths and weaknesses of each on my whiteboard on the shop wall, using a bullet style list.

Don't forget the Taurus SHO. I've seen them heavily discounted, AWD and they really are amazingly fun to drive, with that twin turbo V6. They are high 13 second cars @100MPH stock, with just a mild tune, they break into the high 12's!

2015-ford-taurus-sho-1.jpg

2013-ford-taurus-sho-interiorjpg.jpg

That looks great in black (or is that green? Dark either way lol). Every picture I've seen of the SHO has always been red and it doesn't look good on this body style IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pesca

Audi - Very nice German sedan. Excellent drivetrain, I think they fixed the oil consumption issue with the 2014+ models. Looks great in brilliant black.
(A4 Premium Quattro 6-Speed Manual in Brilliant Black w/ 18" RS wheels and heated seats)
$37,300

Nice to know you could have a manual trans with an Audi, I can add it to my wish list, thanks.

If you like the look, you can have the mini me of it, a.k.a Audi A3.

BMW - Typical BMW build quality (good). Looks like a Honda. Nickel and dimed on every option. Like the GS, the AWD is only available in an automatic. Looks best in Grey IMO.
(2015 328i xDrive Sedan, No Options)
$41,000

What? No manual with thw AWD option? I thought it was only for the 328d... and you can not find any 328d manual anyway.

If that was me, I would prefer to drop the AWD to get a manual, it is higher in my priority list.

Since size does not seem to matter to you, what do you think of the 2-Series? It seems to be more of a BMW than the last generation of 3-Series from what I read.

If only we could get the 1-Series here... why only the coupes? You know BMW, father with young children love nice cars too!!

Well size does kind of matter. You can never buy too BIG of a car IMO. The A3 and 2-series are just too small IMO. Although I have driven the 1-series with a manual and that was a fun car, just really small. The A3 is priced almost in A4 territory, and I just don't like the dimensions of it. It's like a clown car version of the A4, or a Jetta dressed up in its Sunday best. Not for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm comparing new cars by price.

Since that's your main qualification, you could always save 7-10k and get a Subaru Legacy 3.6R.

The CVT sucks. Not my cup of tea.

OK, then just grab yourself a WRX.
19.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back