Automatic Car Wash/DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so my vehicle is pretty dirty, looking almost ragged from driving on dirt roads, etc. Are DIY car washes where you pull in and use their hose, soaps, etc. okay? Or are auto car washes better/worse? Washing now here on the East coast at my place is out of the question since my outside water was turned off for the winter to prevent busted pipes. Thanks

I have often wondered, Do Auto car washes re-cycle their water?

If so, what about salt.

Do you have a garage? I use 2oz. Optimum No Rinse (ONR) + 1gal water in a garden sprayer to presoak each panel, then I wash the car like normal using ONR (1oz ONR to 2gal water). Use two buckets, one for clean soap and another to rinse your mitt. Do wheels and door jambs only after you've cleaned the paint. No swirls to date, been doing this for 2 winters now. I even wash this way in the summer because it's easier than getting the hose out and having to worry about washing in the shade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
I have often wondered, Do Auto car washes re-cycle their water?

If so, what about salt.

Email them. The only one I use is a DIY one with a wand to get the heavy salt off, and they replied saying they dont recycle anything and only use fresh city water for each cycle. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
If a car wash recycles water it will be filtered, etc. Some towns require it. Usually the final rinse is fresh water.

The DIY car washes do not have an undercarriage wash, which I like in the winter.

I do not think automatics scratch cars they way they use to.

I go to one where an attendant sprays the entire vehicle with soapy water and then brushes the lower part of panels, windshield, bumpers. Then you go through the actual wash.

I use wand washes exclusively for my trucks and vans.

I bring the vehicle in and chill out for about 20 minutes so it can thaw out somewhat then start with soap,then the brush to really clean everything and ensure I don't miss anything.
Then I wash the underside of the vehicle paying special attention to all the books and crannies where salt may accumulate.
Then ample rinse til the dripping water is clean.
I'll take the charger to the automatic type washes. They do the undercarriage better than I can because of the ground clearance.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Touch less automatic.

Sadly, if you have some accumulated salt crud on your car, like most of us do up north, touch less car washes don't do much, other than maybe spraying some harsh chemicals on your car.

The ones with brushes are more effective, but come with free swirl marks, so that's no good either.

Best option would be a hand car wash, but that's not cheap and there is no guarantee that they won't swirl your paint either.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I bring the vehicle in and chill out for about 20 minutes so it can thaw out somewhat then start with soap,then the brush to really clean everything and ensure I don't miss anything.
Then I wash the underside of the vehicle paying special attention to all the books and crannies where salt may accumulate.
I'll take the charger to the automatic type washes. They do the undercarriage better than I can because of the ground clearance.

How much does it cost you to do all these steps ? $4-5 per wash ?

So Cal has many not so good attributes but car wash in winter temperature at around 65-70F (18-20C) is bearable, sometimes in winter the temperature can reach 75-80F for few days then we wash all the cars we have, if we don't have any rain predicted for a week or two.

I wish it was 5 bucks.

Closer to 15 or 20,depending on how much muck is on the under-carriage.
I can get the topside done in 5 minutes,including scrubbing,but once I get underneath I've got to cut away the frozen chunks of ice to get at bare metals and clean them.
Here car washes don't even start up til you put 2 bucks in. Most places are a buck for 2-3 minutes. So you gotta hustle.
We have 1 place where you pay according to time inside the bay,so no feeding change to a machine. It's definitely the nicest place in town to wash your vehicle but it's also the most expensive.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Touch less automatic.

Sadly, if you have some accumulated salt crud on your car, like most of us do up north, touch less car washes don't do much, other than maybe spraying some harsh chemicals on your car.

The ones with brushes are more effective, but come with free swirl marks, so that's no good either.

Best option would be a hand car wash, but that's not cheap and there is no guarantee that they won't swirl your paint either.

It really depends on the car wash setup and what wash program recipe they have going with what chemicals.

As far as touchless, the ones marketted as "touchless" I think are mark vii branded washers.

I think these are 2nd fiddle to the PDQ Laserwash systems which are usually branded as Laserwash and not often as "touchless".

Even if you get the brand right; then it depends on the model of the system. Then it depends on the wash program.

But yea, it does help to do a little bit of presoak with the squeegee before going in, especially on the glass.

I usually hit one of the newest laserwashes on my way down from Lake tahoe back to SF. I went as far to email the area Laserwash sales/service rep to ask them which on my route has the newest system as they don't really have consolidated marketting of gas station car washes.

So, not a substitute for a real wash; there is a little film left; but it's better than having salt sit on the car; and it's open 24 hours and i am done in 15min. And it seems safer compared to soft-touch systems that do not have active monitoring and operators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

How much does it cost you to do all these steps ? $4-5 per wash ?

So Cal has many not so good attributes but car wash in winter temperature at around 65-70F (18-20C) is bearable, sometimes in winter the temperature can reach 75-80F for few days then we wash all the cars we have, if we don't have any rain predicted for a week or two.

65-70 is great..i really need to move somewhere warmer..i think anything over 5 degrees celsius is good car wash temperature..lol

I wish it was 5 bucks.

I can get the topside done in 5 minutes,including scrubbing,but once I get underneath I've got to cut away the frozen chunks of ice to get at bare metals and clean them.
Here car washes don't even start up til you put 2 bucks in. Most places are a buck for 2-3 minutes. So you gotta hustle.
We have 1 place where you pay according to time inside the bay,so no feeding change to a machine. It's definitely the nicest place in town to wash your vehicle but it's also the most expensive.

$15-20 to wash a car ?

I paid $4-5 a bottle car wash soap, it can be used for 15-20 washes so the cost of soap is about 25 cents, I think I use about 30-50 gallons to rinse - wash - rinse, so the water cost is less than 10 cents.

The total cost is less than $1 per wash (I amortize other items such sponge, microfiber towel ...) The problem is I'm lazy and washing the cars is a chore I don't like to do more than once every 2-3 months. So my wife take her car to dealer once every 4-6 weeks for free wash and free coffee and bottle water.

All options are better than a dirty car.

When the better half got her new Hyundai all we did was high pressure 'touchless' washes to prevent swirls on paint. Few months later I noticed water in the 3rd brake light housing.
Dealer replaced it under warranty.
Not sure if weak seal or spray pressure was too high.

I wish it was 5 bucks.

You probably aren't lazy Clevy. You just got too much money in your wallet.

I would rather wash the car for $4 (drive-thru), clean the interior myself every four months and help someone else out financially, with my leftover 10-15 bucks.

Don;t be the guy this December that pays 15-20 for a car wash, then walks right by the Salvation Army bell ringer in front of your supermarket.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I wish it was 5 bucks.

You probably aren't lazy Clevy. You just got too much money in your wallet.

I would rather wash the car for $4 (drive-thru), clean the interior myself every four months and help someone else out financially, with my leftover 10-15 bucks.

Don;t be the guy this December that pays 15-20 for a car wash, then walks right by the Salvation Army bell ringer in front of your supermarket.

I think he's talking about his trucks/minivans/full size vans work vehicles.....

I find touchless car washes virtually useless. They always leave a layer of dirt behind, especially if you're washing a car covered in salt in the winter time. So I always go with the soft cloth option when washing my wife's BMW in cold weather. It really does not hurt the finish that much, and I'll go over the car with my buffer in the spring to remove any light swirl marks that it might get anyhow.

I do either a hand wash myself using a two-three bucket method...or I go to the touchless basic wash ($7.00).

I have a bad back so my desire to hand wash is getting less and less. Especially in cold weather.

My black Ridgeline still has very, very few swirls from washing. I am extra careful. The touchless washes don't cause swirling...but they do remove some of the waxes/polishes. And they are not perfect and occasionally leave dirty areas. I typically will touch up the car with a quick detail spray after a touchless wash.

Doing it by hand and using multiple buckets is the best way to do it (if you know the method). High pressure sprayers in those do-it-yourself wash bays are ok....but some say they can blast the grit off of a car too forcefully and cause minor scratches. I don't know if that is true.

Auto car washes with bushes are probably the most destructive method of washing. They will ALWAYS scratch your clear coat. I will never use them and find it's best to just leave a car dirty until I can wash it properly.

I recall reading in a detail website that one of the best ways to age a cars paint....is by washing it too much and not doing it properly. The elements are actually secondary in abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back