19 oil banned in NJ, pretty interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The products we’re banning here today were found to have widely and unacceptably at variance with industry standards," said Steve Lee, acting consumer affairs director at state attorney general's office. "These products therefore bear misleading labels that provide the consumers with no way to know whether they are appropriate for specific vehicles."

Officials says the 19 now-banned motor oil products were tested by an independent lab contracted by the state, which found that each failed to live up to the viscosity measurements specified on their own labels."

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/20...e_labeling.html

Last edited:
The cars these oils go in should probably be off the road. That's the bigger problem. Nobody is going to put dollar store oil in a $30,000.00 car.

But the move of taking peoples cars off the roads is not popular.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: CKN
Nobody is going to put dollar store oil in a $30,000.00 car.

You'd be surprised.....
Especially if it's in New England and a lease. Top off with a quart of dollar store oil, why not, it's the mark of the real smart guy to stick the next guy. (They bragg about it).. Need phony oil change receipts...no problem.

Those $30k cars don't stay $30k forever, and luxury cars especially suffer from depreciation, making them accessible to less-affluent people.

The streets of ghetto and semi-ghetto towns are full of 10-20yo luxury cars.

I wonder how many people buy a full 5qt oil change from the local stop-and-rob?

Not that I'm defending the oil but this stuff must be sold to "oil light is on" people. You have to ask what's worse, an quart of SB "10-30" or driving a few more days until you get to a real auto parts store. Well, the same folks will be putting in an SA ND30 now, the likely bottom-dollar quart that'll be on the shelf.

Found these at the local convenience store the other day. Looks like an attempt to keep selling substandard oil while staying out of the way of lawyers. "Meets API SA Service requirements." OOOOOOOO!!!
whistle.gif
You know, because this is always were I get oil for my pre-1918 engines...

The same company was selling actual API-approved oils (SN, in fact) alongside these. At least that's how they were labeled.

2w2j2tx.jpg

2s0cwo0.jpg

At least those bottles look more legit than the super tech oil (Tune it) they sell at Walmart here in Canada

Last edited:
And at least the "non-detergent" is in all caps, and the bottle does say that the oil does not meet the requirements of most late model engines. Of course that's fine print to most consumers.

And that text, "most late model engines," implies there are some engines whose requirements their ND 40 DOES meet. Gee, how about a list . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back