Last Night's Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The main course was brisket. I brined it for almost 24 hours, and then seared it on the stovetop. It went onto a bed of onions, coated with my sauce, covered, and into the oven for

Will you share the recipe for that sauce of yours? Unless it is secret, of course.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

dare I ask what's in "your sauce"?

• Beef brisket, flat cut, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch
• Salt and pepper
• 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 2 cups Oogave or Organic Fair cola (these brands don't contain the toxic substances that most colas do).
• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
• 4 teaspoons onion powder
• 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1. Poke holes all over the brisket with a fork or knife point. Rub entire surface of brisket with 1 tablespoon salt. Wrap brisket in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6-24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees-do not use convection.

3. Rinse and pat brisket dry with paper towels and season with pepper. It is important to get the brisket dry-the meat won't begin to sear properly while it is still moist.

4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place brisket fat side down in skillet; weigh down brisket with a heavy Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. I place a piece of parchment paper under my Dutch oven to save cleanup.

5. Remove Dutch oven/cast iron skillet, flip brisket, and replace Dutch oven/skillet on top of brisket; cook on second side until well browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer brisket to plate and let it rest.

6. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and spread into even layer. Note: if you use a metal baking dish, put parchment paper down first so the onions or meat don't come in direct contact with the metal.

7. Combine cola, ketchup, onion powder, sugar, garlic powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Place brisket fat side up on top of onions and pour cola mixture over brisket.

8. Place parchment paper over brisket and cover dish tightly with aluminum foil-the parchment paper prevents the meat from coming into direct contact with the metal foil. Bake until tender and fork easily slips in and out of meat, 3½ to 4 hours. Let the brisket rest in liquid, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

9. Transfer brisket to carving board. Skim any fat from top of sauce with large spoon. Slice brisket against grain into ¼-inch-thick slices and return to baking dish. Serve brisket with sauce.

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
What is your recipe for the chowder...Looks so good.

Clam Chowder

• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 tablespoons EV olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 3-4 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 cup water
• 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
• 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/3 cup unbleached flour
• 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
• 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained

1. In a Dutch oven add the oil and heat until simmering.

2. Saute celery and onion in the oil until tender.

3, Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

4. Stir in the water, potatoes, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme.

5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

6. Combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half in a small bowl-whisk until smooth.

7. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

8. Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil).

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
I'll start with the clam chowder recipe. I am going to buy fresh clams tomorrow.

hotwheels

I strongly suggest that you make it tomorrow, put it in the refrigerator, and then have it for dinner the next day.

It's good right after it is made, however 24 hours in the refrigerator lets the flavors marry and mature a bit.

Let us know how it works out for you. I envy your access to fresh clams-it can only improve the results.

Delightful!
(you do have a thingy for flavorful meats)
but can't discount Mrs.'s work too.
now you leave us in the fog with beverages served....

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

dare I ask what's in "your sauce"?

• Beef brisket, flat cut, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch
• Salt and pepper
• 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 2 cups Oogave or Organic Fair cola (these brands don't contain the toxic substances that most colas do).
• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
• 4 teaspoons onion powder
• 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme

1. Poke holes all over the brisket with a fork or knife point. Rub entire surface of brisket with 1 tablespoon salt. Wrap brisket in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6-24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees-do not use convection.

3. Rinse and pat brisket dry with paper towels and season with pepper. It is important to get the brisket dry-the meat won't begin to sear properly while it is still moist.

4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place brisket fat side down in skillet; weigh down brisket with a heavy Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. I place a piece of parchment paper under my Dutch oven to save cleanup.

5. Remove Dutch oven/cast iron skillet, flip brisket, and replace Dutch oven/skillet on top of brisket; cook on second side until well browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer brisket to plate and let it rest.

6. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer onions to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and spread into even layer. Note: if you use a metal baking dish, put parchment paper down first so the onions or meat don't come in direct contact with the metal.

7. Combine cola, ketchup, onion powder, sugar, garlic powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Place brisket fat side up on top of onions and pour cola mixture over brisket.

8. Place parchment paper over brisket and cover dish tightly with aluminum foil-the parchment paper prevents the meat from coming into direct contact with the metal foil. Bake until tender and fork easily slips in and out of meat, 3½ to 4 hours. Let the brisket rest in liquid, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

9. Transfer brisket to carving board. Skim any fat from top of sauce with large spoon. Slice brisket against grain into ¼-inch-thick slices and return to baking dish. Serve brisket with sauce.

Originally Posted By: Scrum67
What is your recipe for the chowder...Looks so good.

Clam Chowder

• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 tablespoons EV olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 3-4 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 cup water
• 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
• 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/3 cup unbleached flour
• 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
• 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained

1. In a Dutch oven add the oil and heat until simmering.

2. Saute celery and onion in the oil until tender.

3, Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

4. Stir in the water, potatoes, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme.

5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

6. Combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half in a small bowl-whisk until smooth.

7. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

8. Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil).

Im curious as to why you add the flour the way you do instead of at the beginning adding it to the butter and making a roux?

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Delightful!
(you do have a thingy for flavorful meats)
but can't discount Mrs.'s work too.
now you leave us in the fog with beverages served....

Thank you-my wife's baking ability is second to none. She has worked on recipes for years, and has them down to an art-she can take a baked good recipe and, with a few modifications, make it something reasonably healthy with just as much flavor as the original.

We served a 2010 Chianti Classico Riserva from Villa Calcinaia in Tuscany. 2010 was an exceptional year for Sangiovese grapes, and the wine was a good overall match to dinner.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Pop_Rivit said:
Im curious as to why you add the flour the way you do instead of at the beginning adding it to the butter and making a roux?

Simplicity mostly. I cook the vegetables in the stock pot first, and by doing so there is some caramelization on the bottom of the pot. By hitting it with the water I break up that caramelization and add it to the flavor of the soup rather than leaving it on the bottom, or losing it altogether by cooking the onions, celery and garlic in a separate skillet.

I'll start with the clam chowder recipe. I am going to buy fresh clams tomorrow.

hotwheels

I strongly suggest that you make it tomorrow, put it in the refrigerator, and then have it for dinner the next day.

It's good right after it is made, however 24 hours in the refrigerator lets the flavors marry and mature a bit.

Let us know how it works out for you. I envy your access to fresh clams-it can only improve the results.

I had the clam chowder for dinner two days ago. It was excellent. Besides using fresh clams, which I can get locally, I added a little freshly grated horseradish. Otherwise I followed Pop_Rivit's recipe. I will use this recipe most certainly again!

hotwheels

I had the clam chowder for dinner two days ago. It was excellent. Besides using fresh clams, which I can get locally, I added a little freshly grated horseradish. Otherwise I followed Pop_Rivit's recipe. I will use this recipe most certainly again!

hotwheels

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like the horseradish idea-I may have to try that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back