PureOne PL14459 cut-open

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised in the other thread. Here's PureOne PL14459 cut-open.
I did this 1st week of November. I just around to posting it now.
This is from my Sonata. Ran it from 05/2015 to 11/2014. 5.5K miles. I bought the filter from AdvAuto.
My OCI is normally 7.5K for this car, but decided to change it early, since I don't want to do it in middle of the winter. Oil used was QSUD 5w-20.

b96c5t.jpg

21c8e34.jpg

x4hyc7.jpg

2zstlau.jpg

algcjl.jpg

A Purolator without tears? Must have been a counterfeit...

Thanks for cutting and posting. I myself use the slightly larger PL14610 in my Fit with complete confidence.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

Thanks for cutting and posting. I myself use the slightly larger PL14610 in my Fit with complete confidence.

The PL14459 is about 3" diameter...(Larger than the PL14610).. But it only fits older Honda models. PL14610 is the Puro version of Honda A01/A02 filters for newer Honda models. I use this myself for my Odyssey. However, right now my Ody has Fram Ultra on it.

Just to add. The filter I posted above is all highway miles. On days I use the Sonata, it travels 90 to 100 Miles one way, up to 200 miles roundtrip for that day. So oil really gets to operating temp.

Originally Posted By: Al
Did you measure the can thickness. I used to cut filters apart. Pure one was the thinnest.

I have not measured it. I will have to get my digital caliper from my reloading bench and measure it.

Originally Posted By: filb14
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

The PL14459 is about 3" diameter...(Larger than the PL14610).. But it only fits older Honda models. PL14610 is the Puro version of Honda A01/A02 filters for newer Honda models.

The 14610 has more media area than the 14459 ... about 23~24% more. You have to measure the actual media area to know this.
grin.gif

^I wonder if I should just up-convert to the aftermarket size for newer Hondas/Civics than my 1992.
confused.gif

Why not if it seals fine and I can have more media?
21.gif

Purolator's website doesn't list the gasket inner and outer diameter. I do know that the PL14459 can is bigger diameter wise. So I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. They do have the same thread. Bypass valve pressure is also a bit different.
Maybe others have tried. I don't usually go outside of the manufacturer recommendations. No need for me to do so, since I go by the MM (Ody) and OM (Sonata).

Looks good and another solid result over a respectable if not extended(your 12k mi Classic) oci.

As for the 14459 application, it can be used interchangeably (where room permits) with the 14610, same threads and similar size gasket. It is also used on majority pre 2001/02 Hondas.

It's also good that you note no out of the ordinary engine noise using it with your Sonata. Been more than one thread on Hyundai engine noise using non Hyun oem filters and a related TSB. Considering that and your solid result here, 'if using a P1', I'd stick with the spec'd PL14459 in your Sonata. And it's rated 99.9%@20um.

As for can thickness, in decades of diy o/f changes never had an issue with it on a filter from any manufacturer. And since being a bitog member, I can't recall of one picture or thread documenting it as being an issue in pc use. Perhaps if one does a lot of off roading or gravel road travel and/or has an especially low hanging filter orientation, it 'could' be a consideration. But like oil filter flow, not a concern for me.

On a personal note, as you've now no doubt observed especially with your other post, there's a small minority that unfortunately question your integrity. Or worse in the Classic thread, stop just short of calling you a liar. Those are what I refer to as the dedicated Purohaters. Your two solid Puro results has cracked their Purolator paradigm. Not to sound condescending, but think you handled it as well as possible.

Wondering if you still have PL14459 as I have a question or two more about it.

Anyway, thanks again for taking time to cut and post pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks good and another solid result over a respectable if not extended(your 12k mi Classic) oci.

As for the 14459 application, it can be used interchangeably (where room permits) with the 14610, same threads and similar size gasket. It is also used on majority pre 2001/02 Hondas.

It's also good that you note no out of the ordinary engine noise using it with your Sonata. Been more than one thread on Hyundai engine noise using non Hyun oem filters and a related TSB. Considering that and your solid result here, 'if using a P1', I'd stick with the spec'd PL14459 in your Sonata. And it's rated 99.9%@20um.

As for can thickness, in decades of diy o/f changes never had an issue with it on a filter from any manufacturer. And since being a bitog member, I can't recall of one picture or thread documenting it as being an issue in pc use. Perhaps if one does a lot of off roading or gravel road travel and/or has an especially low hanging filter orientation, it 'could' be a consideration. But like oil filter flow, not a concern for me.

On a personal note, as you've now no doubt observed especially with your other post, there's a small minority that unfortunately question your integrity. Or worse in the Classic thread, stop just short of calling you a liar. Those are what I refer to as the dedicated Purohaters. Your two solid Puro results has cracked their Purolator paradigm. Not to sound condescending, but think you handled it as well as possible.

Wondering if you still have PL14459 as I have a question or two more about it.

Anyway, thanks again for taking time to cut and post pics.

sayjac, Thanks. There is nothing that anyone will say that will convince the haters.

Thanks for the info on 14459 & 14610.

I still have the PL14459. Although, I accidentally threw away the threaded portion of the can, and the ADB valve.

I also have a Honda A02 from my Ody's last OC early this month. (Ody is on Fram Ultra right now) I don't know if I should post it. Maybe, if there is enough interest on it.

I have used OEM Hyundai before but never cut them open. OEM Hyundai is currently installed.. I will cut them open sometime late spring or summer... and see it for myself.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'd stick with the spec'd PL14459 in your Sonata. And it's rated 99.9%@20um.

Yep ... it does have that advantage over the PL14610 which is 99.9% @ 40 microns.

Originally Posted By: filb14
sayjac, Thanks. There is nothing that anyone will say that will convince the haters.

Thanks for the info on 14459 & 14610...

Exactly and no problem.

When I can't find a 14610 for my Nissan, I'll buy the 14459. It works OK for the OCI! I wish I could still get the LARGE, #24458(discontinued).

Is there a LARGER MotorCraft filter# that can be used in the place for the #24458?

looks better than most purolators i have seen but it still has wavy media. Maybe they are starting to get better but i have to see that for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back