DUI checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

If you have not been drinking what do you have to fear from a checkpoint? How is it a big violation of anyone's rights? If you haven't been drinking then you wait in line for a few minutes, get a quick check, and you move on with your life. What is the big deal?

Did you not read my post above??? It can be a stunning waste of time. That waste of time can have unplanned results. It ruined my vacation and cost me hundreds of dollars. I ended up driving from FL to VT to a particular destination. I was held up in line, detained, searched and I did not make my destination before they closed. The multi hour detention was problematic for me, my family and yes, I'm still angry about it.

One more thing. I don't ever drink (or use drugs)

It is experiences like this that have me against these things that seem so plain.

The cops probably had horrible attitudes, too. Right? (It goes with the experience, IMHO.. those that like to try to, and sometimes do, ruin other people's days.)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

No...I mean simply start the car without using the ignition switch (key on, then jump the solenoid), therefore bypassing the thing completely.

NHTSA standards require the unit to be able to read and log those starts as a violation.

Many states require the unit to sound the horn upon a bypass.

Would it "know" it had been bypassed if no attempt was made to use the regular starter circuit?

Are you suggesting popping the clutch with the key on?
laugh.gif

More along the line of jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver.

That is true.

One serving is not defined by the bar, but by 12oz beer, 5oz wine and 1.5oz hard liquor, IIRC.

I either get a bottle or ensure that I'm getting the 16oz pint. Who wants the 20+ oz beer that will just get warm/flat before you finish it
smile.gif

A bottle of wine is good for two couples. I think it will provide about 5 5oz glasses of wine. If you move on to the second bottle, someone likely has had more than two drinks. That person should not drive.

But yes, it's always safer to simply not drink if you are going to be the driver.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Do you understand how this works? I weigh 225# I can drink one beer/hour and my body will metabolize the alcohol nearly as fast as I drink it. It would take 75 hours of drinking at that pace to hit the legal limit.

If I drank 1/hour for 24 hours, my projected BAC would be 0.024% or less than 1/3 of the legal limit in the US and still less than Shannow's legal limit of 0.05%

The adult male who has two drinks over a two hour restaurant visit, or three beers during a three hour tip to the baseball game is likely not anywhere close to impared.

The typical adult male can metabolize one drink/hour. A good rule of thumb for women is 1/2 that. A 115# woman will hit 0.045 BAC after two glasses of wine during that two hour dinner. Her date, 0.002 BAC if he's a 225# male.

Now if you are going to a beer pong tournament, don't drive, get a driver, etc. But if you can pace yourself to one drink/hour as a man and 1/2 a drink/hour as a woman, you are not likely a danger to society behind the wheel.

If you can't monitor, pace or control your consumption, then I agree, make arrangements to stay the night, take a cab, arrange a DD. But if that's a recurrent theme in your life, perhaps you should give up alcohol totally. If you find you are repeatedly in situations where you are not safe to drive, then you may have a problem with alcohol.

Like everything else, YMMV.

You are absolutely correct sir
thumbsup2.gif

Except most establishments do not serve a (in my case TABC) serving of alcohol.
Most places don't serve a 12oz glass of beer. Beer ranges from 16oz to 20oz (Imperial pint is something like 19 1/4 US oz)
If you are served a 1oz shot, your bartender is probably receiving a similar size tip. You usually get a jigger size...about an ounce and a half.
4 oz of Pinot Noir looks pathetic next to a Porterhouse. It just does. I am not taking away from how awesome a good Pinot is with a really good steak. It's one of my favorite things. But a 4 oz serving just looks pitiful.

I just don't risk it anymore. If I drive, I do not drink. I know how much I can drink and still stay well under .08, but I just don't.
I know from literally thousands of clients how easy it is to be charged with a DWI. How expensive it is even if you are exonerated. I know the techniques the cops use. I don't sweat it at all when that DWI Enforcement Tahoe gets dangerously close to my rear bumper and hits his high beams (to make the driver deviate from his lane for "probable cause") I just think to myself, "C'mon. Pull me over. You don't have a thing on me."

Originally Posted By: eljefino

No...I mean simply start the car without using the ignition switch (key on, then jump the solenoid), therefore bypassing the thing completely.

NHTSA standards require the unit to be able to read and log those starts as a violation.

Many states require the unit to sound the horn upon a bypass.

Would it "know" it had been bypassed if no attempt was made to use the regular starter circuit?

Are you suggesting popping the clutch with the key on?
laugh.gif

More along the line of jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver.

NHTSA regs require the unit to be able to read engine start. Bypass detection is a required feature.

Otherwise, everybody with a DWI would drive a fenderwell mounted solenoid Ford.
crackmeup2.gif

Honestly...I could probably fool one, if I was determined to do so. (I could certainly do so in my Caddy...but that's because I know the car so well.) Then again...I suspect I know more about car systems than a typical drunk.

Most officers will tell you off the record that .08 is where driving mistakes start to become noticed. Going lower than that is just revenue enhancement.

If you have not been drinking what do you have to fear from a checkpoint? How is it a big violation of anyone's rights? If you haven't been drinking then you wait in line for a few minutes, get a quick check, and you move on with your life. What is the big deal?

I was held up in line, detained, searched and I did not make my destination before they closed. The multi hour detention was problematic for me, my family and yes, I'm still angry about it.

Wait, you were detained for several hours? On what grounds? Things are obviously VERY different in your neck of the woods, the police here cannot and would not hold anyone that long at a simple traffic stop. Unless there's more to the story that you haven't disclosed, for example a drug dog had a strong reaction on your car?

aa- Do you ever have anything nice to say about the Police, or the country? It sure doesn't look that way, you take pot shots every chance you get around here.-RD

DUI check points are nothing but revenue generating and PR garnering traps and are not very successful in apprehending drinking drivers. Much like seat belt or car seat safety checks.

They are illegal searches IMHO.

Almost all police activity related to traffic is revenue generating and does little to nothing toward improving anything. As I mentioned earlier, those who would be deterred from drinking and driving by such activity are not the ones who we need to worry about.

Originally Posted By: hpb

I was held up in line, detained, searched and I did not make my destination before they closed. The multi hour detention was problematic for me, my family and yes, I'm still angry about it.

Wait, you were detained for several hours? On what grounds? Things are obviously VERY different in your neck of the woods, the police here cannot and would not hold anyone that long at a simple traffic stop. Unless there's more to the story that you haven't disclosed, for example a drug dog had a strong reaction on your car?

From what he posted, the checkpoint caused a traffic jam.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my opinion..
You have to fight for your freedom everyday, or one day you will wake up and you will have none.

People have bemoaning this for years. As pointed out, driving is a privilage subjest to the laws that govern them.

I am 68 years old and I have not seen the loss of freedom..just the opposite as people that should be in jail are roaming the streets.

25 years ago it was difficult to impossible to carry concealed now (except for a few states) its a matter of "Shall Issue". I am not ready to sign onto the "Chicken Little" mentality.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Shouldn't the police avoid causing traffic jams?

Aside from the obvious need to steer traffic around accidents, when have you ever seen police activity improve traffic flow. Even a police car parked in the highway shoulder, clocking speeds or not, results in all manner of idiotic behavior by drivers. A police car driving in traffic below the speed limit causes everyone to lose testicular fortitude and refuse to pass the cop.

Police, in general, have accomplished the instillation of fear into normally "law abiding" citizens by mere presence. Their efforts in "traffic safety" (How can I make that any more sarcastic than simply putting it in quotes?) have been, at best, counterproductive and, at worst, hazardous.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my opinion..
You have to fight for your freedom everyday, or one day you will wake up and you will have none.

People have bemoaning this for years. As pointed out, driving is a privilage subjest to the laws that govern them.

I am 68 years old and I have not seen the loss of freedom..just the opposite as people that should be in jail are roaming the streets.

25 years ago it was difficult to impossible to carry concealed now (except for a few states) its a matter of "Shall Issue". I am not ready to sign onto the "Chicken Little" mentality.

Being stopped and detained for no reason and forced to prove you are doing nothing wrong before being allowed to continue on your way isn't a loss of freedom?

Driving may be a privilege, but that doesn't mean that the police can violate the 4th amendment.

By the way, I'm probably about the most avid supporter of law enforcement that you'll find, but that doesn't change the fact that these checkpoints are a clear violation of the 4th amendment.

Papers please.

How many arguing over this "loss of freedom" would be rejoicing if the same stop was busting illegals? Usually they cite, or sometimes even impound cars of people driving "without licenses".

^I think that is because many forget that freedom brings with it risk and responsibility. I am willing to take those risks to maintain my freedom. If you are not I suggest you move to a more authoritarian country. I'm getting tired of ours constantly adding laws and regulations to appease specific groups. The full gamut of laws on our books are nearly unenforceable and many, for the most part, are broken constantly with little risk of consequences.

I doubt there are any among us who don't break some laws regularly. That either means that everyone is a criminal, or there are too many irrational laws. Is it any wonder the police, and the public they serve, have become jaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back