Mobil 1 0W40 for 2015 Golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several quarts of Mobil 1 0W40, which the label says is for most VW's, etc. The Owners Manual calls for 5W30 or 5W40 for my 2015 Golf TS1. Can I safely use 0W40?

Originally Posted By: Revrick
I have several quarts of Mobil 1 0W40, which the label says is for most VW's, etc. The Owners Manual calls for 5W30 or 5W40 for my 2015 Golf TS1. Can I safely use 0W40?

What VW oil specification is in the owners manual or on a sticker affixed under the hood, most likely the core support near the hood latch.

Brand new car? Have a lot of fun with it!
I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation strictly - especially VW spec.

Last edited:
Quote:

The Owners Manual calls for 5W30 or 5W40

You have already been corrected regarding this. The manual doesn't call for 5w30 or 5w40 oil. It references a particular VW spec, which, only specific oils meet. (some 5w30, some 5w40, some 0w-40) You need to find those oils and use them.

Is the VW manual helpful in confusing the end user, probably; years ago, even the VW dealerships didn't know what to use.

It pays to educate yourself WRT the proper oils in your warranty period.

Peak Conventional 5w30 is a 5w30 but is not appropriate for your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Is the VW manual helpful in confusing the end user, probably;

It sure is, because the way it is written, it looks like 5w-30 and 5w-40 are the grades that they want you to use, in addition to meeting the VW spec. Alas, the language is loose enough that I would have no problem running any VW 502.00 approved oil, regardless of grade.

Here's a page from the 2014 manual. The 2015 may be similar...

2014_jetta_oil2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back