Coolant refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if I got close, been too long since the last time I did this.

On my 'yodas I just did a drain and fill. To the top. I started and let it idle until I got some heat. Then capped and called it good.

As it cools down I'm going to check and fill the overflow tank, as required.

Right/wrong? I know they thermostat didn't open but it should still circulate, right?

It won't circulate through the radiator with the stat closed, but you should still be fine. Drive it for a day, maybe check it after it's run a while, and re check it the next morning after it's completely cooled off. Check both the overflow and the radiator the next morning as they will likely be low from air purging.

Also check the rad itself (when cold). That may need topup as well, and maybe more than once.

If there's a very large amount of air, there may be too much for the system to expel completely on its own, and some will remain in the rad, unseen until you pull the cap.

Also, make sure the heat is turned on all the way. Some vehicles have a heat-control valve in addition to blend-doors.

My usual procedure is drain/fill the radiator, drive it for a week, then drain/fill again. On my car that'll get you like 2/3 new coolant.

In theory filling the radiator eventually fills the top hose, which trickles through the engine to get the backside of the thermostat.

But measure what comes out. If you have 1/2 gallon of new coolant left over, there's a huge air bubble in the engine that needs attention.

Typically I undo the top hose at the radiator, hold it high, and backfill through that until coolant tinkles out the rad nipple. I'll even stick the hose on the nipple, clampless, start 'er up, and carefully pull it off for a burp/ to see what's going on.

I got a little less than half out on the Tundra, and a little more than half on the Camry. I was thinking of waiting until next fall and repeating the drain/fill. I guess I could do it any time though. Maybe next time coolant is on sale.

There is usually a drain on both the engine block and the radiator. If you want to change everything yo would rain both, refill, and bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back