2015 Impala vs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This (Impala) is a nice looking car, both inside and out. I've been looking at vehicles in the 35-40k price range, and here is what I have come up with thus far:

Audi A4 Quattro 6-Speed
Buick Regal GS AWD
BMW 3-Series x-Drive
Chevrolet Camaro SS 6-Speed
Chevrolet Impala LTZ w/ 3.6L V6

Thoughts on each:
Audi - Very nice German sedan. Excellent drivetrain, I think they fixed the oil consumption issue with the 2014+ models. Looks great in brilliant black.
(A4 Premium Quattro 6-Speed Manual in Brilliant Black w/ 18" RS wheels and heated seats)
$37,300
Audi.png
AUdiI.png
Buick - Only looks good in GS trim, which pushes the sticker north of 40k. Good powertrain. Looks good with either wheel option. Interior reminds me of Saab. Looks best in black.
(2015 Regal GS AWD, No Options)
$40,230
buick.png
RegalI.png
BMW - Typical BMW build quality (good). Looks like a Honda. Nickel and dimed on every option. Like the GS, the AWD is only available in an automatic. Looks best in Grey IMO.
(2015 328i xDrive Sedan, No Options)
$41,000
bmw-1.png
BMWI.png

Camaro - Fun and proven powertrain. Completely impractical. Awful ergonomics. Looks best in black.
(2015 Camaro 1SS w/ RS Package, Dual Mode Perf. Exhaust, Boston Acoustics Sound System)
$37,240
camaro.png
CamaroI.png
Impala - Practical. Proven powertrain that sounds good under full throttle. Steering wheel belongs in the late 90's or early 2000's. Looks great in blue velvet metallic. Comfortable. Plenty of room inside. Looks great on 19's.
(2015 Impala 2LTZ w/ Premium Audio Package)
$37,200
impala.png
impalaI.png

Last edited:
The Impala has definitely gone inside, took a shower and came out cleaned up. They've got quite a nice looking car there.

I have a 2014 Impala LTZ 2 with every option. I love it! It scored highest in Consumer Reports than any sedan ever had! My vote goes to Impala. It is black with black interior and 20 inch wheels.

I had a 2001 Impala, this Impala has 50% more power and gets 50% better mileage also ( 305 HP and gets 31.1 mpg on trips).

Last edited:
Tough choice between those cars! Being in Upstate NY how important is AWD and a manual transmission to you? That could be the deal maker or breaker.

I would ax the 3-series, you're gonna have one stripped car if you want to stay under $40k.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Impala - Practical. Proven powertrain that sounds good under full throttle. Steering wheel belongs in the late 90's or early 2000's.

And that's why I'd buy it over your other listings. I put my right hand at the 6:00 O'clock position while driving at low speeds (35mph and under) and those 3-spoke offerings you listed won't allow it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Tough choice between those cars! Being in Upstate NY how important is AWD and a manual transmission to you? That could be the deal maker or breaker.

I would ax the 3-series, you're gonna have one stripped car if you want to stay under $40k.

AWD is not needed, snow tires however are IMO. There's no point in accelerating faster if you can't turn or stop.

Manuals are fun, I have one now, but it's not a deal breaker going to an automatic, especially for a daily driver.

Im not seeing the comparison - different "classes" of cars.

Wouldn't you need to compare the Impala to an A6 or A8, BMS 5 or 7, etc. to have apples to apples? I know the A4 and 3 series has grown, but theyre midsize cars at best while impalas are midsize to large, right?

The impala is a nice looking car, but that's a lot of $$$.

What about the Mercedes C class? The new C300 is much bigger than the old one. Also for that kind of money, you could just get a CPO model and step up to an A6, 5 series or an E class Mercedes. I'd also check the depreciation on them, usually luxury cars have massive deprecation, but American cars tend to have more than foreign. Also if you do end up with something foreign, look into their European delivery, you pick up the car in Europe, they include insurance and shipping back to the US and they discount a percentage of the list price which you might not be able to get in the US. The discount pays for the trip and you don't need a rental car.

I'm comparing new cars by price.

Yeah, but you're comparing three luxury compacts, a sports coupe and a full size car from a mainstream brand.

Actual competitors to an Impala might be an Avalon and a Taurus, all three are pretty nice.. as they should be given their prices.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Rather have a Chrysler 300 SRT8. Should be in the OP's list as a competitor.

Not a fan of Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm comparing new cars by price.

Yeah, but you're comparing three luxury compacts, a sports coupe and a full size car from a mainstream brand.

Actual competitors to an Impala might be an Avalon and a Taurus, all three are pretty nice.. as they should be given their prices.

I compare cars by how much it's going to cost me, and whether or not i would like to own one. If you want to read a comparison of every car in each and every class then go buy a car magazine.

I compare cars by how much it's going to cost me, and whether or not i would like to own one. If you want to read a comparison of every car in each and every class then go buy a car magazine.

So in other words you have zero requirements for volume, capability, functionality, amenities, drivetrain, etc.? Its just what you covet in terms of cars that you might buy?

Nothing wrong with that if youre looking at personal cars that YOU like... Its just slightly different from how most folks shop cars. Thus the questions and comments...

If you *need* practicality I'd go with the Buick. But from your list,my choice would be the Camaro.

Definitely the Audi Quattro for that money. The Impala seems overpriced and in someways dated to me.
For my money 28-29K would make the Impala more interesting but not 37K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back