Music is horrible today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
there is a ton of good music today. you just won't find it on the radio...

^^This! I never ever listen to FM radio or satellite radio, but I listen to plenty of new music. I have my iPod hooked up to my car stereo and listen to that instead.

Originally Posted By: redhat

I like just about it all from the mid-60's up to the early 90's: Rock, Metal, Hair Metal, Folk, Texas Blues, Older Country (not the hot garbage on today)

+1

Modern stuff may have skilled folks in the background making it work, but IMO the front people are just lacking...

Originally Posted By: theKman
"Iggy Azalea" is one of the most disgusting creatures I've ever laid eyes/ears on.

Disgusting creature? Really?

iazalea1.jpg

I haven't bought a new album in the longest time!

I gave this new artist called 'John Coltrane' a try and it was disjointed gibberish!

I hopped right back in my Packard to go return it. I made the shopkeep take it back and bought myself an Andrews Sisters record. Went home and put that on my gramophone - much better!

I despise most...if not ALL...of the top 40 music. Garbage to my ears. Hideous actually. Been that way for a couple of decades for me.

Not to mention our culture today is about as familiar to me as an alien being.

But....new sounds and new ears will always rule the day in that business. Not to mention our culture today is about as familiar to me as an alien being.

You can figure someone's age by the music they like somewhat.

I've been listening to songs that came out when I was a teenager. Linkin Park's first two albums are still good, I think. It really sounds good when listening it in your car vs through tinny headphones cuz your parents don't like that stuff.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
there is a ton of good music today. you just won't find it on the radio...

^^This. There's a ton of awesome music that's modern,it's just never going to be played on mainstream radio. You have to dig pretty deep,but it's out there.

Turn off the radio?

I drive to work, an hour each way. Four days of the week it's silence each way. Once in a while I will listen to npr for a bit, but if I get my fill of classical then I'll surf the fm band. And be reminded why I hate the fm band. Plenty of music in my motley collection, but I generally listen when at work instead.

Silence is underrated.

Keep your FM dial in the low range. Plenty of great stuff being played by independent/college radio. Stop eating what you have been served and return to being a hunter/gatherer.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Getting censored mad by Iggy Azalea.

It is HORRIBLE.

I will say the same thing about Bon Jovi!!

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
GT, is that you?

That exact same thought was just going through my head...

Same here.

It's exactly the same as it has been for decades. The big commercial stations are playing why they are being paid to play. There are still a few college radio stations that are playing great new stuff, but they are different from the ones a few decades ago.

When I was in the DC area, there were some great stations that went to [censored] in just a few years as Clear Channel et al built their empires. It was the typical progression: they would buy a station that was successful, switch to their own playlist while cutting down on local DJs, and stuffing in as many commercials as possible. In the long run they destroyed the stations, but they made their money back several times over before they lost the audience. Then they changed formats to get a new audience: WHFS, previously one of the largest stations, changed to Spanish language with no notice.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
GT, is that you?

That exact same thought was just going through my head...

Same here.

32.gif

somebody got you beaten:
eljefino: #3551369 - 11/30/14 07:57 AM
Welcome back, GearHeadTool!!!!

silverrat: #3556544 - 12/05/14 11:10 AM
See: TechnoLogs
[/OT]

djb,

Hispanics are the fastest growing population in the USA. Of course they changing english speaking radio station / programming to spanish talk radio / music.

They still play music on the radio?
I've always been an anti-top 40's snob.
Heavy metal and prog rock fan since the early 70's.
Lately I've become more eclectic, and my tastes have gone backwards into Big Band. I'm likely on any given day to take a Black Sabbath CD out of the radio, and pop in Benny Goodman. Interesting contrast, but you can find some swing influence in Black Sabbath.

And the vehicle I'm in sort of influences the music I listen to. Rush in the Camaro, and Korn in the Dodge Ram. Somehow it just seems right listening to music with a lot of power in the low end when I'm driving my diesel Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back