Purolator L14476 cut-open 12K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that does not look like a purolater with 12,000 miles on it are you sure you did not mean 1200 miles? Either way i would not trust them not to tear. But we won't use them anymore either.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I wager 12k in that sort of time did the filter/oil good.

I'd be more concerned with a classic going those miles in more severe service or perhaps even less miles with short trips.......

+1 Said it before, highway miles at operating temperature with less moisture/condensation and fuel dilution cycles is easier on filter media (and oil), especially cellulose type. This anecdote would appear to correlate with that conclusion. 12k miles done in this time frame means a much higher ratio of highway miles at operating temp to short trips as well as a summer oci/fci which also reduces the moisture/condensation.

In any case this one looks great, and even more so considering the miles. Also thinking that engine is fairly clean.

I'll add it's unfortunate imo that a member would question the integrity of the OP and his well explained posts here. I've also said that 'imo' I believe 'some' may actually be disappointed when Puros exhibit no issues such as the OP's. My advice would be to ignore the comment, as the vast majority are positive.

Thanks for taking the time to cut and post pics and explain the oci/fci including time frame.

Yes indeed, this filter looks very good! ATMOF, I would have thought the filter only went 3K miles. Nice straight pleats and light colored media with gunk so, the oil must have still looked OK?(Oil color was brown, not black?)

That crimp is different-the shape of the metal looks different, like it has an extra wider base. May have to see if I have an older one of those around & cut it.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I'll add it's unfortunate imo that a member would question the integrity of the OP and his well explained posts here. I've also said that 'imo' I believe 'some' may actually be disappointed when Puros exhibit no issues such as the OP's. My advice would be to ignore the comment, as the vast majority are positive.

Thanks for taking the time to cut and post pics and explain the oci/fci including time frame.

Thank you.

Others believe whether they want to or not. I'm not here to convince them. I'm here to learn and share.

I'm inclined to believe the odometer.
33417 --> 45445 miles.
So yeah, pardon me. it's not 12K miles. It's 12,028 miles.

Someone suggested M1 EP. yeah, It's now on M1 EP 5w-30. However, Fram XG4967 is not in stock at my local Walmart and Autozone. I didn't feel like driving 20+ minutes to go the nearest Pepboys/Advauto. So, it still on L14467. The way I see it, given the very good experience with previous L14476, the relatively fresh stock of the filter in Walmart, there's no reason to change.

Maybe. Plenty of space underneath it. I thought about oversizing, but didn't have the time to ask here on bitog for compatible bigger filter.

How did you get such a fresh filter to use for 4 or 5 mos.? Manufacturing date in July, shipping warehousing etc and you claim 5 mos use and 12 k miles. Just asking.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Glad to see another Purolator in good shape. A few more and I'll be back to using them next spring.

I have PL14459 cut-opened too. I will post sometime today. That one was bought early this year.
Spoiler: all fine. no issues.

Someone asked the color of the QSUD when I drained it. yeah, it is pretty dark.
And also, another amazing is, she only lost less than half a quart (more like a third of quart) of oil... and that's for the whole 12K miles.

My sis doesn't really take care of her car. It's filthy inside... But she's an easy driver. She drives 55mph tops. That's gotta help along with the mostly highway driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
How did you get such a fresh filter to use for 4 or 5 mos.? Manufacturing date in July, shipping warehousing etc and you claim 5 mos use and 12 k miles. Just asking.

I think I have already describe how she got 12K miles. As for getting a fresh filter, you will have to ask Walmart how efficient their distribution process is. Most people are aware that Walmart gets deliveries from their trucks on a daily basis.

Not here. They get deliveries on Thursdays for hard and soft lines. never seen a cheap filter like purolator have straight pleats unless they were unused or went really low miles. I wasn't there but a lot of strange things in your story that don't add up. The purolator fan boys will love your post though, I think it needs proper vetting and your wal-mart comment adds more mystery.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Not here. They get deliveries on Thursdays for hard and soft lines. never seen a cheap filter like purolator have straight pleats unless they were unused or went really low miles. I wasn't there but a lot of strange things in your story that don't add up. The purolator fan boys will love your post though, I think it needs proper vetting and your wal-mart comment adds more mystery.

Whether you believe or not, is your problem. I have no plans on convincing you.
Also, I'm not a Purolator fan boy. On my van & car, I have run OEM, Wix(I didn't like this because of price), PureOne, and now on Fram Ultra.

Since you suspect Walmart process, maybe it's you need to prove they're really inefficient.

Very nice pic of your filter. I would second that those miles helped this filter. I used to use Purolators all the time until I heard of the tearing issues that they've had recently. Maybe with the help of BITOG it got back to Purolator and they needed to change their processes.

Although I am concerned(not afraid), I still use Puro Classic's & PureONE's. I've been cutting open all of my Classic's and PureONE's after each OCI and I haven't seen anything to worry about yet!
smirk.gif

Those who question the freshness of my local Walmart oil filter stock..
This pic below is taken today. Wife and I were there doing some Christmas food shopping.

If your local Walmart doesn't take deliveries everyday, it doesn't mean all Walmarts are like that. I frequently see shelves full of PP5w20/30, only to find out all gone couple of days after... then stocked again after 2-3 days. So apparently, my local Walmart, has active Automotive customers.

qp302e.jpg

If you still have the filter I would like to see a close up shot of the top and bottom of the pleats at the seam. This is the area of concern and I'm curious to see the pleating up close on recently manufactured puro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back