Did I buy counterfeit filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been stocking Fleetguard filters for my vehicles for a good number of years now, I've always managed to find the upgraded media versions for my applications.

LF16104 is in question here, I use it on my 5.3 LS engined SUV.

I ordered online and received three filters that are slightly shorter, have a single dumbed down stick-on label and crimped wrenching end.

The originals have all the marking printed on the can and the end is smooth.

The insides look the same.

Did I purchase counterfeit filters?

If I did, I'll name the seller.
IMG_20141220_231809_081_zpsd6e506aa.jpg

IMG_20141220_231832_632_zps53f0f1b4.jpg

Last edited:
Of additional note, the taller one seems to have a better paint job and it was plastic wrapped & sealed as these filters usually are.

The suspect ones weren't-and were in plain white boxes.

The date codes appear to be:

2010, 61st day for the suspect one.

2013, 277th day for the known good one.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I would email these pics to the mfr and ask them.

X2.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Easiest thing to do would be to cut them open and verify the media type, a counterfeit filter won't be using microglass media.

+1

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I would email these pics to the mfr and ask them.

yep +1

I would guess they are not genuine.

Last edited:
Google 'Fleetguard filters made in Mexico'. Based on the entries I read, I'm doubtful the filter in question is counterfeit.

That said, beyond that I couldn't absolutely say.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Not sure that the profit margin is high enough for someone to start an oil filter counterfeit operation.

Lot's of fake Hyundai filters on ebay. Someone's making money on these.

Last edited:
I've sent a "contact us" message to Fleetguard.

I'd rather not cut it open if it's genuine.

The sticker is clear.

The genuine filter is made in Mexico. The suspect filters say made in USA.

Cummins Fleetguard filters are regarded as some of the best filters made. Big rigs come standard with them and most truck & heavy vehicle shops won't substitute.

I don't care where they're made, so long as it's not a fake and has the correct filter media and valve.

Ok, my misunderstanding.
blush.gif
Then upon further review and looking at the labeling difference I agree with those saying you need to contact Cummins Filtration/Fleetguard with pics and pertinent info, and see what they have to say.

Not sure that the profit margin is high enough for someone to start an oil filter counterfeit operation.

I realize it's been over 30 years ago, but I saw a counterfeit Fram oil filter in the early 80s. It was cut open to reveal that the center tube was made from a can of peaches that was made in China. The paint from the peach can was easily readable (if you can read Chinese, that is) and the filter media was just some cotton packing.
You are probably correct, however. The Chinese have assembly lines that now product oil filters by the millions and are praised by some members of this group.

Originally Posted By: Paul_Bell

The genuine filter is made in Mexico. The suspect filters say made in USA.

That's a new twist. I'm betting Fleetguard has moved some manufacturing to the USA.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I realize it's been over 30 years ago, but I saw a counterfeit Fram oil filter in the early 80s. It was cut open to reveal that the center tube was made from a can of peaches that was made in China. The paint from the peach can was easily readable (if you can read Chinese, that is) and the filter media was just some cotton packing.
You are probably correct, however. The Chinese have assembly lines that now product oil filters by the millions and are praised by some members of this group.

That's scary ...
eek.gif

In all honesty I've seen both fleet guards with both stickers when I used to stock the filters at the heavy equipment company I worked at. I will say that they do specialize in the heavy equipment arenas and maybe the new sticker/new dimension filter has got to the filter you use.

I would definitely suspect that the "Made in USA" filter is counterfeit. The fact that it's shorter and has a sticker for a label are the biggest warning signs for me. I believe most of the Fleetguard filters are made in Mexico, although they probably still have some manufacturing in the US. The fluted end doesn't seem too fishy to me. Some of the Fleetguard oil filters have the flutes and some don't. It will be interesting to see if they contact you.

Update:

Yes, I was contacted this morning via email. Very speedy!

The rep wasn't able to open the pictures I linked but now that I have his email, I can send them to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back