Cheap used car advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost bought a GTO with 13k, but the only record I knew of was that the oil had been changed yearly. Every other fluid in that car was factory fill. I thought long and hard about it and sadly ended up passing up on the offer. As a project car it would have been fine but for a daily driver it was too risky.

Toyota Avalon- low resale value. a larger camry without the camry name.

Acura RL- horrible resale value- but alot of car for the money.

Lexus ES300 if u can find one with low miles..excellent value for the money.

The above are the best bang for the buck as far as 'foreign' luxury cars that will compare to her BMW.

If u wish to go smaller compact value- Pontiac Vibe. Based on the corolla platform without the toyota price.

Since she is not driving many miles MPG isnt that big of a factor. Since she is on a budget TCO (total cost of ownership) is the key factor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Look for anything with a GM 3.8, they have low resale value. The lower and upper intake gasket/manifold have problems but once replaced last 90k+ miles fairly easy.

It will cost a couple hundred to fix but most of the GM 3.8's can be had for $2000-$2500k with less then 100k miles.

She might not like the style of the car but they are cheap and reliable.

Plus most of the cars on the list are very low end disposable cars to begin with. Anything you save of a 3.8 could easily go to a repair or two if worst case.

The GM 3.8 is considered one of the top 10 gasoline engines ever made and the second best engine GM ever made #1 being the GM 350 small block.

The 3.8's are known as a bullet proof engine that refuse to die.

I highly recommend any car with it. Iv owned 3 vehicles with the 3.8 they get good gas milage 28-31 highway. Some get lower but its fairly common for them to get 28 highway. Some get in the low 30's.

I get 500 miles on my 16 gallon tank. Ride quality is one of the best cars iv ever been in too.

Seconded. Buick Park Avenue, Buick LeSabre -- and (I think) GM put the 3.8 in the Regal and Century as well.

Impala, Malibu, Grand am/pre (I believe), several others. It was a popular GM motor.

There was nothing wrong with the 3100,3400,3500. all reliable also I had them all no issues once the LIM gaskets were addressed. Good on gas also.

I have an '06 Cobalt LT with the 2.2 ecotec - bought it last May with the intention of replacing my Saturn once it goes (which still hasn't happened).

A couple of things I've run across:
Bad Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor.
Some with GMLan communication issues, fixed sometimes by disconnecting and cleaning some connections, other reposts tracking down wiring that commonly corrodes.
The early Ions ('03 I believe) had more common transmission issues.
Sensor integrated into the wheel bearing on some models also seems to be reported as a failure.

Most of this stuff causes a "low traction message" or something to that extent - the APP sensor affects drivability though (causes limp mode).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Avoid the Aveo. Those things break timing belts weekly.

Yup, even at 30-40k though the interval is 60k!

These are the love child between GM bean counters and Daewoo, best known for their subcompact taxis in taliban country.

I've had a zillion saturn S-series, which are too old/beatery for someone in a BMW, and am now appreciating Neons. The latest ones (05) show that Mercedes-ish attention to quality.

I cannot stress enough how much of a POS her BMW is. Terrible cosmetic shape, leaks everything, suspension shot, tranny is lousy, most of it's luxury "features" are inoperable, etc. It's one of those cars you'd get $50 for as a trade.

Ok so Aveos are basically Daewoos and maybe have timing belt issues. Good to know.

jeff

Now, now. I doubt it leaks everything
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I cannot stress enough how much of a POS her BMW is. Terrible cosmetic shape, leaks everything, suspension shot, tranny is lousy, most of it's luxury "features" are inoperable, etc.

Jeff, why not just do an autotrader search for anything near your zip code for
You should see a few Olds, Buicks, Malibus, Taurii, Focii, etc.. in that price range.

Like said, I'd focus more on the condition, possible carfax/maintenance records and the mileage.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Jeff, why not just do an autotrader search for anything near your zip code for
You should see a few Olds, Buicks, Malibus, Taurii, Focii, etc.. in that price range.

Like said, I'd focus more on the condition, possible carfax/maintenance records and the mileage.

I may do that, my initial searches have had limits on both age and mileage. It's a balancing act of course, just trying to get a sense of the market (I have never been in this particular market myself) and anything to be aware of with the commonly available models.

jeff

get a low mileage well maintained Ford Taurus with the 3.0l V6. you can pick up good ones for 3-4k all day long.

Common problems with these are head gasket failures, but it is super cheap to repair if caught early. i would look for a clean 80k mile taurus. you cannot hardly find a better riding/driving car for $3-4k IMO

I am in the same camp as oilpsi2hi- I have had a lot of vehicles both new and used, and the ones with good maintainance history were never a problem. The one used car (Suburban) I bought from a dealer with no history was a nightmare of problems.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My old 95 Neon was like a hammer for reliability, and I autocross and tracked it hard, even did a half roll sliding on its side, and drove it for a year afterwards...
The early 2nd gen ones had the same bomb proof 3spd auto and the same motor. I'd still be driving it, if I didn't have kids.
Don't drive across the state for one, but if you find one that's been maintained, don't discount it either. Cars in this price bracket should be bought more on condition, than reputation IMO.

My 04 has been great. Only regular maintenance and good fuel economy.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Corolla, Civic or Mazda 3
All three cars are very reliable and they are like ants, you can find them everywhere.

Within 50 miles of her hometown there was exactly 1 Corolla that showed up in the search (under $6k, under 100k miles) and it had unrepaired crash damage.

Don't limit the mileage to 100,000 on the Corollas. I bought my 2003 Corolla for $4,500 when it had 147,000 miles on it. A deer totaled it at 250,000 miles and nothing went wrong with it during that time. The insurance company gave me $3,700 for the wrecked car......it cost me $800 to drive 103,000 miles! They are not the fastest, quietest, most comfortable, or most modern vehicles, but they do fire over every time you turn the key.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Thanks for the quick responses.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Corolla, Civic or Mazda 3
All three cars are very reliable and they are like ants, you can find them everywhere.

Within 50 miles of her hometown there was exactly 1 Corolla that showed up in the search (under $6k, under 100k miles) and it had unrepaired crash damage.

Dang, I'd say you came out pretty good on that!

Don't limit the mileage to 100,000 on the Corollas. I bought my 2003 Corolla for $4,500 when it had 147,000 miles on it. A deer totaled it at 250,000 miles and nothing went wrong with it during that time. The insurance company gave me $3,700 for the wrecked car......it cost me $800 to drive 103,000 miles! They are not the fastest, quietest, most comfortable, or most modern vehicles, but they do fire over every time you turn the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back