Buying screwdrivers anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I own regular, old fashioned screw drivers. But I've also done everything from replacing laptop HDDs to car window regulators to wiring our kitchen with ratcheting/1/4"hex drivers. My snap on ratcheting unit is very compact down the shaft, and has been phenomenal. I have a wiha one that uses bits smaller than 1/4" hex for more fine stuff, like working inside computers.

I get it that there is a time and place for standard stuff, but for things like torx, hex, and some other drivers, it's so much cheaper and easier to go with bits.

I'll still hold on to my old craftsman set, maybe even look into re sharpening a few. But practically speaking, ratcheting drivers are all I use any more...

When the screw driver tip falls off and drops into the bowels of a NTC 350 Cummins engine you will think about not to use that style screwdriver for certain uses. I have one of those ratcheting screw drivers and I like it.

Thats a real good point. You wouldn't want to do any sort of work in the engine with one of those things like a valve adjustment or intake/carb work.
Like i said in my previous post i don't use them so i never gave that aspect much thought but now you say it its scary.

my new dewalt impact obliterates or shears most small items, so a manual screwdriver will continue to be in my life.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
……..You can count me as a traditional screwdriver guy. ……………………………..

DSCN1507.jpg

Are those black handled screwdrivers from Snap-On? I think over the last 25 years I have had 1/3 of my Snap-On drivers with the black handle self disintegrate. Just recently I tossed a 1/4" driver in the trash, because the handle was heavily split and oozing some oil.

Never thought about dropping a bit because frankly, it has never happened to me. I don't know that any of my drivers are designed to just use a "friction fit". Good point though.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Are those black handled screwdrivers from Snap-On?

Which ones? The ones in front of the drawer are Snap-on and the ones in the back of the drawer are Craftsman industrial. Snap-on had problems with their previous generation bakelite handle screwdrivers crumbling apart, but mine are the next generation ergonomic hard handles made out of an entirely different plastic.

I have a set of Matco Torque II screwdrivers that I use everyday. The tips hold screws (not magnetic) and the handles allow my hands to apply serious torque to the screws.

I use specialty bits (not the little ones that fit in a 1/4 socket) in my cordless impact gun. I have not found a driver, except my finger ratchet, that will hold a bit securely.

My .02

Dave

I have some 8-12" long screwdrivers in both Phillips and flat tip, I used those sometimes when hex bits didn't work because of reach limited.

Originally Posted By: anndel
I still use conventional screw drivers - either Snap On or Craftsman.

LOL! That's the same as me
smile.gif
I also have a CT set that I don't mind immersing in fluids and an insulated German set for electrical work.

I have a few and buy a new one on occasion. Anything from no-name, obscure brands, Asian ones to Stahlwille. The ones I grab most of the time are Wiha 530 and 531. I also like afew old Matadors I still use. Zephyr bits are excellent too

I absolutely still buy regular screwdrivers. I have an entire tool drawer full of them. Long ones and slender ones. Short ones and tiny ones. Harbor Freight ones. And Craftsman ones. And Kobalt ones.

Multi-bit screw drivers are handy too. I like the aluminum handle Kobalt ratcheting tool, with storage for all the extra bits in the handle. I have about 4 of them around the house. One in each car, one in my tool box, and one in my wife's little go to tool box. I've given one to each of my sons, for Christmas bits. They are convenient for many jobs. It's nice to have one tool with several bits. But they just can't do it all.

Sometimes a very long screwdriver is needed. Sometimes, a stubby is just the ticket. And sometimes, the fat shaft of the multi bit driver won't fit in a hole, of which there is a screw in the bottom.

So, the answer is yes. I still buy screwdrivers. I use them for probably a third of all screw driver jobs. Then I use a drill with a bit for a third. And for those jobs where there are no special needs, the multi-bit tool comes in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back