Magnatec Spotted at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am late to the party, but I was in AAP picking up some filters today and saw the 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30. $7.17/qt. Interested in trying it, but hope somewhere else carries it at a better price. It is, after all, a blend, I believe. I especially like the fact they have a 0w20.

It appears that magnatec is a syn blend, replacing the current syn blend. Also, the marketing hypes better start up protection. Who knows...

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
It appears that magnatec is a syn blend, replacing the current syn blend. Also, the marketing hypes better start up protection. Who knows...

I believe it does replace the current GTX syn blend. That would also make sense of why AZ just blew out their GTX blend stock for $1/quart. As far as the new stuff being better with cold starts, there may be some truth to that... I don't have access to the PDS, but didn't the GTX blend oils have a relatively high cST when cold?

Last edited:
Magnatec is the same as GTX synblend, is just that when Magnatec was originally launched they couldn't use it in the US because of fear of a lawsuit of false advertising, and they launched it as GTX Synblend now I think that the lawyers gave the green light to use the magnatec brand.

Last edited:
According to Castrol's website it's a full synthetic, way different than the part-syn grey bottle Synblend and green bottle High Mileage. This is a new product for the US market, but has been available in other countries for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Magnatec is the same as GTX synblend, is just that when Magnatec was originally launched they couldn't use it in the US because of fear of a lawsuit of false advertising, and they launched it as GTX Synblend now I think that the lawyers gave the green light to use the magnatec brand.

How do you know this?

The viscosities and MSDS ingredients are different.

If it is a full syn (seems logical since there is a 0w20, which there are few part syn 0w20's,)this is not a bad deal pricewise. However, like I said, hope we see it on Amazon or Wally World, as $7.17/qt is a bit steep.

Magnatec can be bought in blend and full synthetic overseas. Not sure which one(s) we're getting in N. America.

That could be the case, however, I don't believe there was a 0w-20 GTX synblend, as there is with Magnatec. Also, on the Castrol web site there is no 5w-30 Magnatec listed, while we all know 5w-30 GTX synblend existed.
BTW, is there any synblend 0w-20?

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
According to Castrol's website it's a full synthetic,

Where did you find this info? I'm looking on Castrol's US site and don't see any mention that it's full syn.

And when I look at the PDS, it says "Unique synthetic technology to fight against harmful sludge build-up" which again does not mean that it's full syn.

From their msds:

Section 3. Composition/information on ingredients

Highly refined base oil (IP 346 DMSO extract < 3%). Chemically modified base oil Proprietary performance additives. Substance/mixture Mixture
Ingredient name
CAS number
%
Lubricating oils (petroleum), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
72623-87-1 64742-54-7
50-55 1-5

I asked their Chat agent if it's a syn blend. Here is his response:

Quote:
Castrol GTX Magnatec will be officially launched in January 2015. Please send your inquiry via e-mail for further assistance: [email protected]

LOL... OK then. I will.

Originally Posted By: TTK

That could be the case, however, I don't believe there was a 0w-20 GTX synblend, as there is with Magnatec. Also, on the Castrol web site there is no 5w-30 Magnatec listed, while we all know 5w-30 GTX synblend existed.

There was a GTX Synblend (grey bottle) 0w20 but nobody carried it.
If it was sold at WM for the same price as the 5w20 and 5w30 I think it would have been a hit.

PS: Can anybody verify if the GTX Synblend 5w20 has poor cold start properties as suggested earlier? I just bought a bunch at $1 a quart so I hope not.

Here's a link to the PDS....so are these bad cold weather properties?

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8D1D0BDE9CD081CC80257AA900533A56/$File/GTX_SynBlend_2012.pdf

Originally Posted By: aa1986
How do you know this?

I don't really recall where I read it, Maybe it was here (at the end of the page) although this is the first time I hear about GTX Startup, it appears to be dependent of the market as in the UK the 5W-30 is synthetic but in South America is conventional. But in any case is between EDGE and GTX in terms of performance and price. And as far as I remember 0W-20 is always fully synthetic.

aa1986 said:
How do you know this?

That could be the case, however, I don't believe there was a 0w-20 GTX of the market as in the UK the 5W-30 is synthetic but in South America is conventional. But in any case is between EDGE and GTX in terms of performance and price. And as far as I remember 0W-20 is always fully synthetic.

There is a GTX Synblend 0w20 ....look at the PDS....finding it is another story.

There is also a semi-syn 0w20 sold by Honda IIRC...

Originally Posted By: pbm

PS: Can anybody verify if the GTX Synblend 5w20 has poor cold start properties as suggested earlier? I just bought a bunch at $1 a quart so I hope not.

Here's a link to the PDS....so are these bad cold weather

No Castrol always does that, they put the minimum/maximum values of the specification and they don't put the actual value of their oils. Don't worry about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back