Oils that dont burn in a healthy 5.4L Triton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my new (to me) 2008 F150 King Ranch. I went on a 1000 mile road trip to AZ to buy an atv with my cousin. The truck burned a 16th to 8th of a qt at 75-90 mph. Some wot runs were in there too. Truck currently has Castrol 5w30 that the dealer used when they prepped the truck for delivery. I have 62,000 miles and the dipstick and oil are still very clean. Truck has been serviced regularly by the previous, and ONLY owner.

Recommendations for an oil that doesn't burn easily, especially in these 5.4's?

thanks!

See how many miles it takes to get the oil level to the add mark then report back

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Mobil1 15W50, if that's how you are going to drive it.

no way not in a modular. OP using that much on a long highway run is normal. My family and i have owned several modular fords and they will use a tad on long highway trips at high speeds. I know mine have. Usually not enough to ever top-off however.

If i were you i would run a good 5W20 the next time around. Im real fond of motorcraft syn-blend 5w20. I had a supercharged 4.6l that i did 5k mile oil changes on using Motorcraft. The engine had 100k miles on it when i sold the car. 25k were with the blower on it.

my father has had two 4.6l f150's and one 5.4l, and ive had one 5.4l f150. My father has 2 of them still today one is a 1997 with 268k miles on it. we switched it over to 5w20 at 110k miles and it used less oil on the 5w20 than 5w30. His other one is a 2010 with 140k using mostly trop artic syn-blend 5w20. it uses no more than a 1/4 quart every 5k miles and has for as long as i can remember. The 5.4l 3v truck he had was and 04 which he previously owned before the 2010. He sold it with 245k on it. It still ran great and used little to no oil either. he used 5w20 mobil clean 5000 and then mobil super 5000 when it came out. Run a good 5w20/0w20 if you want and the engine in your 08 will run as long as you want to keep it. The 3v 5.4l engines aren't the fastest or most powerful/responsive engines, but they are very tough and durable as long as they are even remotely maintained. good luck!

Last edited:
You are going to burn off a lot of moisture on your highway run, so at least 1/2 of what went was water.

You do not have a "problem" and I don't think you could do better with that engine in that vehicle run that way.
You DO know its good to get some oil on the port side of the valve stems. Oil is fogged in the sump in to a mist/vapour the PCV will pull it out into the intake - this tend to be more aggressive in a truck.

No worries.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Mobil1 15W50, if that's how you are going to drive it.
no way not in a modular.

x 1000; do not run 15W-50 in your 5.4L - run a good xW-20 in it and call it a day. I have used Pennzoil Ultra (5W-20), Mobil Super 5000 (5W-20), and M1 (EP and AFE) in 0W-20. I have over 140K on mine with some heavy duty towing in high high (115F +) and in the cold and it runs as well as the day I bought it. There is no need for heavy oils (which could affect the VCT) for this engine to last far longer than the chassis. If it were mine I would run M1 AFE or EP (whichever is available) in 0W-20 for 15-17K OCIs with a Fram Ultra oil filter on it.

0W-20.... like me.

I use half Royal Purple and half Redline 0W-20 (and Redline is the better oil, maybe even the best,) but that is my choice.

You could probably use Supertech 5W-20 and be fine.

I like the 0W-20.

And Redline 0W-20 is actually a very light 0W-30. So, there is that.

And I have a 1999 5.4L Ford. Probably is a Triton. I wouldn't know.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I went on a 1000 mile road trip to AZ to buy an atv with my cousin. The truck burned a 16th to 8th of a qt at 75-90 mph.

So you're saying it burns a quart every 8 to 16 thousand miles? I see no reason to use anything but the recommended viscosity. Motorcraft products are readily available and work well.

thanks for the replies all! I plan on using the 5w20 MC next run. Are these motors pick with conventional vs syn?

I used more oil in my 04 with Motorcraft than I do with Pennzoil. I usually have to add a quart at 3-4k and go ahead and change the oil at 5k. My truck seems to like the oil level to be right above the add mark. Doesn't seem to take long after a change to get down to there then it won't move for about 3k miles. I never top off until it is below the add mark.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Use the Ford recommended Motorcraft 5W-20 viscosity oil & a Motorcraft FL-820-S filter only!

Or just use any quality brand of oil and filter. Nothing magical about the Motorcraft oil and filter. The thread end bypass is nice on the filter but I've ran Fram Tough Guards with no issues. I also wouldn't think twice about running a Wix or any other well made filter.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I went on a 1000 mile road trip to AZ to buy an atv with my cousin. The truck burned a 16th to 8th of a qt at 75-90 mph.

So you're saying it burns a quart every 8 to 16 thousand miles? I see no reason to use anything but the recommended viscosity. Motorcraft products are readily available and work well.

x2

Neither my 2002 F-150 with the Modular 4.6 or my wife's 2005 Explorer with the same engine use any real measurable oil between our 7500-9000 mile OCI's. I only used MC 5W-20 and she used MC 5W-20 and a variety of synthetic oils. I'd be more concerned with removing your spark plugs and not having them break off in the head when trying to change them. The 3V 2004-2008 "ish" MY 5.4's had a new and unusual spark plug design that tended to break on changing if left in for a lot of miles.

Whimsey

Good advice, follow the factory recommendations. It's very possible that they know more than most other people about the viscosity needed by this engine.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Neither my 2002 F-150 with the Modular 4.6 or my wife's 2005 Explorer with the same engine use any real measurable oil between our 7500-9000 mile OCI's. I only used MC 5W-20 and she used MC 5W-20 and a variety of synthetic oils. I'd be more concerned with removing your spark plugs and not having them break off in the head when trying to change them. The 3V 2004-2008 "ish" MY 5.4's had a new and unusual spark plug design that tended to break on changing if left in for a lot of miles.

Whimsey

Heads were redesigned by 2008 to use a different plug. I'm not sure if it was early 08 or late 07 but if it has brown coil boots they're different and will not have an issue taking them out.

Last edited:
1/16-1/8 quart sump reading variation as a result of a 1000-mile highway run would indicate to most that "healthy" is, in fact, precisely how yours is performing.

Our Ford does just fine on consumption and year-'round operation with virtually any of its specified OTC API-approved 5W-20s fwiw.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
There is no need for heavy oils (which could affect the VCT)

100% false. I wish you guys would stop perpetuating this myth.
In his climate this engine will run fine on almost any weight oil. 5w30 (spec) or 0w40 would also be fine in this engine, 5w30 is spec for it in some other countries that are not as hot as where he is.
I would run Mobil 1 0w40 in this in a heartbeat with 7500 OCI.

Quote:
TYP: F-150 5.4 V8 24V E85 4x4 (2009 - 2010)
Motorenöle für Sie
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A5

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
There is no need for heavy oils (which could affect the VCT)

100% false. I wish you guys would stop perpetuating this myth.
In his climate this engine will run fine on almost any weight oil. 5w30 (spec) or 0w40 would also be fine in this engine, 5w30 is spec for it in some other countries that are not as hot as where he is.
I would run Mobil 1 0w40 in this in a heartbeat with 7500 OCI.

Quote:
TYP: F-150 5.4 V8 24V E85 4x4 (2009 - 2010)
Motorenöle für Sie
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A5

It will also run just fine with the specified oil for the engine (which is not a 5W-30 BTW)--I would know since I live in his climate and my 5.4L has ONLY seen xW-20 its entire life as specified by Ford. While I have no proof that I can reference, I have seen modulars (my neighbor down the street) with heavy oil (e.g. the 15W-50 that I stated not to use) idle and run much differently than mine does and these are similar year trucks with the same engines in them in the same climate. There is more to this than just a myth and I think that Ford might know a thing or two about their engines since they designed them--a 50 grade oil is not for that engine and nothing heavier than a 20 grade is needed--wanted or desired is something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back