This tire has good tread ... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I picked up Turduckin the Renta-Sentra, I took note of the damage and took off.

A few miles in the thumping got to me.

Two of the tires were in this condition. Worn right to the wear bars:

Seems like this would be a liability issue for them. If it was going to snow or rain at all, I would have returned the car or demanded one of the Fiestas (also with bald tires ... all of their rentals have bald tires) and swapped on the Focus' snow tires for something safe.

Crazy!

i6WT5XN.jpg

it would not pass a state inspection in wv
i rarely rent cars but when i did they were well maintained and usually better than the car i owned at the time
did you notice how many miles on the car? were those tires on front or back?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
This is on a rental car? Geeesh..

Yes. All of their rentals are in this condition.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Borderline at best. What rental company?

Thrifty rental. Next time I won't wait until 3 hours before pickup to book.

Originally Posted By: jacky
it would not pass a state inspection in wv
i rarely rent cars but when i did they were well maintained and usually better than the car i owned at the time

No way would that pass inspection in NY.

I work right across the street from the rental place where I got Turduckin the Renta-Sentra ... I walk through the parking lot often. Will be interesting to see when it gets new tires.

I buy tires in that condition and use them for many many miles to come. I don't know what you're complaining about.
27.gif

Wow, I wouldn't even feel safe with those tires here in Phoenix where you're about 99% guaranteed it won't rain.

It's amazing how much more they "utilize" their fleets these days. It wasn't that long ago, they'd barely stay in the fleet for a year, or mileage in the teens.

I worked for Budget about 25yrs ago. Back then, they were lucky to get one oil change before they were taken out of the fleet, and they definitely still had good factory tires on them.

Yeah, there's no way that would pass inspection in NY.

Email that photo to their corporate office. Dangerous.

I rented a corolla with 30k, legal-but-nearly-bald fronts, perfect rears, never rotated. Inspection ran out 3 months prior. Enterprise. I drove it, in the dry, figuring if I got a ticket for the sticker I could talk the cop into making it out to the car's owner.

I rented a 2011? Chevy Impala two years back from Enterprise with bald front and rear tires. It was bad enough that when I hit the gas at a stop sign on the hill the rear tires were slipping in the rain.

I have a ... thing ... where I can't ride with people in vehicle. Have had tooooooo many bad experiences. I figured by renting Turduckin the Renta-Sentra I could avoid necessary wear on the clutch.

I think I'll teach one of my friends how to drive the Focus in case I get tired and can't drive for the next day trip down/back. And as long as we don't park on Times Square the traffic isn't bad enough that I'd roast a clutch or anything.

Those probably measure over 2/32" tread depth, so they are legal. Smart?...not for me.

The thumping you mention would worry me more.

I once rented a small Pontiac from Hertz in Denver in the winter. I learned the hard way to check tread depth as part of the inspection before accepting the car. It didn't crash, but almost left me stranded on a slick uphill grade.

Last winter I reserved a compact car from Thrifty. At the counter they insisted the car for category was the Chevrolet Spark, a car about the size of my shoe that I'd consider too small to be called sub-compact. I argued to no avail. Finally they let me upgrade to a Hyundai Genesis at a minor extra cost. Really nice car (and the tires were OK.) Emails to Thrifty Customer Service returned the info that what they call a "compact" was actually Sentra size. I got a refund of my extra payment. Next time I'll ask in advance what car is what size.

Car rental tip---because there is no penalty for cancelling a reservation, reserve the car you want, then 1 or 2 or 3 days before the rental go back on the web site and look for deals. If they have extra cars the price might be cut. Cancel and make a new reservation for a better car at lower cost.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Those probably measure over 2/32" tread depth, so they are legal. Smart?...not for me.

The thumping you mention would worry me more.

I once rented a small Pontiac from Hertz in Denver in the winter. I learned the hard way to check tread depth as part of the inspection before accepting the car. It didn't crash, but almost left me stranded on a slick uphill grade.

Last winter I reserved a compact car from Thrifty. At the counter they insisted the car for category was the Chevrolet Spark, a car about the size of my shoe that I'd consider too small to be called sub-compact. I argued to no avail. Finally they let me upgrade to a Hyundai Genesis at a minor extra cost. Really nice car (and the tires were OK.) Emails to Thrifty Customer Service returned the info that what they call a "compact" was actually Sentra size. I got a refund of my extra payment. Next time I'll ask in advance what car is what size.

Car rental tip---because there is no penalty for cancelling a reservation, reserve the car you want, then 1 or 2 or 3 days before the rental go back on the web site and look for deals. If they have extra cars the price might be cut. Cancel and make a new reservation for a better car at lower cost.

The thumping was the wear bars I believe.

This was a Sentra. 2012 Sentra. Quite roomy inside. Their fleet consists mostly of previous-Gen Sentras, current-gen focuses (compact) current generation Versa (sub compact) and Fiesta (sub compact).

I was hoping for a Sentra or a Versa. Their back seats are quite large inside compared to the Fiesta or Focus. Even a Spark has a larger back seat than a Focus or Fiesta. I had a 3rd passenger. That would have been a down side to taking my car - small back seat.

Though, if I ended up with a Fiesta, I could have swapped on my tires/wheels with decent tread!

It doesn't look too bad because you can see the grooves. I had no grooves on Falken FK-452 few years ago, it had a little more than 3/32" at beginning of winter and by spring it was less than 2/32", I drove the S2000 with it until Fall by that time it totally slick.

The performance/handling of the slicks was actually better than full tread, only negative was decreased fuel mileage by 5-10%.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I was hoping for a Sentra or a Versa. Their back seats are quite large inside compared to the Fiesta or Focus. Even a Spark has a larger back seat than a Focus or Fiesta. I had a 3rd passenger. That would have been a down side to taking my car - small back seat.

Though, if I ended up with a Fiesta, I could have swapped on my tires/wheels with decent tread!

How many hours are you from the city (are you in the southern part of the county)??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Miller88

How many hours are you from the city (are you in the southern part of the county)??

The trip took about 5 hours down, 4.5 back. Made a few more stops on the way down than back. Surprised it was only 4.5 or 5 hours ... I am afraid to go 1MPH over the speed limit.

Onondaga county? I'm in the center part of the county - Syracuse.

Tires aren't so much a problem with the rentals in this area... (well, there was the Taurus SEL rental with OHTSU tires...) but that the look and smell like a homeless person has lived in them for a while is.

Seems to be an issue more with the size class that is paid for by insurance companies for collision repair rentals.... and less with the full size and up size class.

It's funny this topic should come up, as I am currently involved in a lawsuit where one of the issues is how much tread is left on a tire - from photographs. Some people who were deposed say that one CAN'T determine the tread depth from a photo. Some say that 2/32nds is more than adequate.

Clearly, the folks who posted above don't think that. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back