2015 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a used '13 Fit Sport a few weeks ago. I just don't want a CVT so never looked at the '15. I tried talking my wife into a diesel (for everyday torque) or a Focus ST, but she really wanted the Fit, so there. It's a little like the TARDIS, bigger on the inside. In turn I get my wife's '03 Acura TL-S. Washing both cars I notice it's more of a reach to wash the roof of the Fit.

The manual HVAC isn't full-manual, like a '60's car. You set the temp you want manually and it will try to make the vent temp that even though the outside air varies. Not fully auto though, you have to dial fan speed, vent positions, and push a button for A/C.

Should pay attention to thigh support. Mine aren't supported enough for comfort. 6'3".

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I considered one but ended up with a 14 Corolla . The gas mileage figures on the Corolla`s window sticker were better for a car the next size up and rear and front leg room were better along with a bigger engine and much lower rpm`s at every speed .Having said that I believe I would still be happy in a Fit. They should be pretty reliable and I like that hauling room of a hatchback . An acquaintance of mine had 2 30 gallon trash cans standing upright in the rear hatch on his 09 Fit.

Great...thanks for a reply.
The Fit my friend was showing me was an 09 and he raved about the seats because of his bad back.Maybe newer Fits have changed in the seats.
About the only negative thing I can gather about the new Fit is that the seat lacks comfort and/or lumbar support for some. I'll find out on the test drive.

I have a bad back and that COULD be a factor for me....but a simple lumbar pad you can buy for cars might be a solution. I've used one before for a Ford Ranger I had. Worked fine.

I was meaning to say that my friends Fit was an 09 and he raved about the seats for his bad back . He is right about 6ft. tall.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I was meaning to say that my friends Fit was an 09 and he raved about the seats for his bad back . He is right about 6ft. tall.

I've heard the older seats are just fine. It's the 2015's that have had some issues from what I've read online.

One more day and I'll know. I'll be test driving one in the morning. If I like it as well as what most others have been saying....I hope to get one for a fair market price.

The 2015 Fit EX w/cvt can be had for around $19,000 to $20,000 out the door.
From what I've researched, the dealers aren't taking anything off of MSRP. At least not the model I am looking for.

My wife has one. I can't stand it. I'v never seen a car with as little front leg room, not even close. She's 5'2" and I'm 5'11. I can barely get in the passenger seat and wouldn't even want to attempt to drive it. I have bad knees so its worse for me, but really legroom is TERRIBLE. seats are small and hard too. Like my 14 Corolla a lot better.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
My wife has one. I can't stand it. I'v never seen a car with as little front leg room, not even close. She's 5'2" and I'm 5'11. I can barely get in the passenger seat and wouldn't even want to attempt to drive it. I have bad knees so its worse for me, but really legroom is TERRIBLE. seats are small and hard too. Like my 14 Corolla a lot better.

Really?

I ended up going down and driving one yesterday instead of today as I had some extra time.

I didn't think the seats were bad. Not plush...but not bad either. Kind of a typical (if I can say that) Honda seat. I have a nasty lower back but so far (limited miles driving it) the seats are fine. Granted, if one is large in width (not saying you are), they MIGHT be a bit tight. Still, a person would have to be substantially wide as I've heard they are wider than the previous model.

As for leg room? No problem at all and plenty of it. Are you sure you were talking about a 2015 model?? I'm 5'11" as well and was literally shocked at the interior space...including legroom.

Seems like we both came back with completely different impressions.

I'd thought about the Corolla...and it's a good car...but not enough utility compared to the Fit. Same for the Civic...plus a new Civic is due next year and I didn't want to wait.

So far we really like the new Fit...but it's very early yet.

My mom has a 2011 Fit and she loves it. Has about 45k miles on it so far with no issues. My dad is 6'2 and has a bad lower back (2 blown disks) and he thinks it is comfortable. It is a nice car to drive and I'm amazed by how much stuff you can fit in it with the back seats that fold up. She gets about 32 mpg driving mostly around town like Mario Andretti. Its not even that bad in the snow with decent tires on it.

yep, definitely 2015. I'm actually quite thin, about 150 pounds. I mean, the seat is "adequate" but smaller than most and not nearly as well padded as the Civic, which along with the Accord has fantastic seats. I really need to be able to extend my legs in a car because of my bad knee, and I felt really crunched up in the passenger seat. I'm probably more sensitive to it than most. Even Honda's own specification and Consumer Reports measurements indicate short front legroom. When I first got in it, I thought the seat was pushed way forward, couldn't believe it was the whole way back.

I'll agree on the utility of it. But my wife got it all loaded up and it was like 21k. It doesn't feel anything like a 21k car to me. Glad you liked it, but make sure you take an EXTENDED test drive before you commit. Comfort issues often aren't apparent on a short drive. I earlier test drove the previous generation Fit and thought it was much better - more comfortable and sportier. Keep in mind its a first year model, assembled in Mexico rather than Japan (if that matters to you), has a new CVT (unless you get a stick), and I'm not sure about DI, it may have that as well. A lot of risky factors. That said, she has been very happy with it in the couple months she's owned it. She gets about 40 mpg, mostly highway. I top 45 mpg (highest 48.4) consistently with my Corolla - its the ECO model.

yep, definitely 2015. I'm actually quite thin, about 150 pounds. I mean, the seat is "adequate" but smaller than most and not nearly as well padded as the Civic, which along with the Accord has fantastic seats. I really need to be able to extend my legs in a car because of my bad knee, and I felt really crunched up in the passenger seat. I'm probably more sensitive to it than most. Even Honda's own specification and Consumer Reports measurements indicate short front legroom. When I first got in it, I thought the seat was pushed way forward, couldn't believe it was the whole way back.

I'll agree on the utility of it. But my wife got it all loaded up and it was like 21k. It doesn't feel anything like a 21k car to me. Glad you liked it, but make sure you take an EXTENDED test drive before you commit. Comfort issues often aren't apparent on a short drive. I earlier test drove the previous generation Fit and thought it was much better - more comfortable and sportier. Keep in mind its a first year model, assembled in Mexico rather than Japan (if that matters to you), has a new CVT (unless you get a stick), and I'm not sure about DI, it may have that as well. A lot of risky factors. That said, she has been very happy with it in the couple months she's owned it. She gets about 40 mpg, mostly highway. I top 45 mpg (highest 48.4) consistently with my Corolla - its the ECO model.

Interesting and informative.

I would say that it will be a bit before I realize the shortcomings for me (if any). I honestly didn't notice the legroom issue.
I have heard that the previous Fit was sportier...but one of the reasons they mellowed the ride was from harshness complaints.

I sure hope being assembled in Mexico doesn't present any issues. After all, more than a few cars are made down there from various manufacturers and I've not heard of any quality control problems. I'm sure that Honda would not want that to tarnish a pretty good reputation.

In regard to the Fit mpg's....you stated your wife gets about 40mpg on mostly highway drives. Is she in the "Econ" mode (button on lower left dash) or just the normal setting?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Interesting and informative.

I would say that it will be a bit before I realize the shortcomings for me (if any). I honestly didn't notice the legroom issue.
I have heard that the previous Fit was sportier...but one of the reasons they mellowed the ride was from harshness complaints.

I sure hope being assembled in Mexico doesn't present any issues. After all, more than a few cars are made down there from various manufacturers and I've not heard of any quality control problems. I'm sure that Honda would not want that to tarnish a pretty good reputation.

In regard to the Fit mpg's....you stated your wife gets about 40mpg on mostly highway drives. Is she in the "Econ" mode (button on lower left dash) or just the normal setting?

I believe she does not use the econ mode. I know in the Civic I owned the Econ setting really zaps the power and didn't make much difference in MPG, and she would not like that. She is also not a slow driver, I imagine her highway driving is probably about 70 mph.

I'm not trying to put down Mexico, but there was a certain reassurance to the "Made in Japan" previous Fit. Incidentally, she had to wait for a number of weeks to take delivery because there were a couple of recalls as soon as it was released and Honda dealers were told not to deliver any vehicles until they were sorted out.

Aside from the legroom issue, which absolutely puts me off of it, the DI would worry me the most as I think this is Honda's first try at it. I guess I'm just saying there is a lot of new technology in this car, so you're taking a bit of a risk. Even Honda has had first-year teething issues with several models. That said, I went with a first-year Corolla with its own set of new tech. But I can see the uniqueness and desirability of the Fit. She mainly bought it because of its cargo capacity and she has some type of canopy installed for when she takes the dog somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back