laptop in checked baggage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I purchased a laptop pc as a Christmas gift for my mother. I would like to wrap it and put it into my checked suitcase. I can pack it to avoid damage, but and a little confused on the safety rules. Is it okay to do this? It appears that only loose batteries are not permitted but I wanted to check before moving forward.

I've checked a laptop in a suitcase for about 10 round trip flights this year. Never took the battery out. The bag was randomly checked a few times (as evidenced by the little card TSA leaves behind) and there was never a problem.

jeff

To be safe, I would suggest carrying the laptop on with you rather than checking it. It's just safer, mainly from a potential theft and damage standpoint.

Also, if you carry it on, do not wrap it.

Laptop batteries are a fire hazard in an airplane's cargo compartment when in number, but singly, they're allowed.

However, there is NO WAY I would put a laptop in checked luggage. Checked bags get piled on one another, can be dropped, and may get wet. None of which are good for your gift. Further, airlines won't accept responsibility for laptops in checked luggage.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/devices.aspx

My company laptop was damaged when I left it in a checked bag. Do you really want your laptop tossed around like a sack of potatoes?

I had it wrapped up in padding which the TSA screeners saw fit to remove in a search. Naturally, they did nt re-wrap it so it got a nice impact on the corner. The top case became separated and the lid latch broke. I was told by our I.T. department to NEVER leave a laptop in a checked bag, period.

Carry it on. Have you ever watched those guys out the window who load the luggage onto the plane? It's like they're trying to throw it as hard and as far as possible onto the conveyor belt.

I made the mistake of doing something similar with a newly purchased electronic gift for my wife and regret to this day of doing it. Check it in , Check it in , Check it in......

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Boczech
I made the mistake of doing something similar with a newly purchased electronic gift for my wife and regret to this day of doing it. Check it in , Check it in , Check it in......

Cheers

So you are suggesting that he puts it in his checked bag???

Don't check it, carry it on. I have never had a problem with that other than simply being asked to switch it on and demonstrate it. As others have said checked baggage is wide open to theft and damage.

Is it in its factory packaging? That should offer some bump resistance.

Since it's new, it's under warranty for any issues. If they claim impact did it in, go after the carrier, they have insurance. Declare it as fragile when you check the bag and have them put a fragile tag on it in your presence. Then they can't claim, derpy derp derp.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is it in its factory packaging? That should offer some bump resistance.

Since it's new, it's under warranty for any issues. If they claim impact did it in, go after the carrier, they have insurance. Declare it as fragile when you check the bag and have them put a fragile tag on it in your presence. Then they can't claim, derpy derp derp.

Yeah, um, no.

You're asking for trouble with this approach. Checking it is a poor idea.

You can't go after the carrier if they specifically state that they will not be held liable for laptops in their policy. Please read what I hyperlinked above. You could go after the manufacturer, then use that to go after the carrier, but is a protracted legal battle what you're looking for?

Or would you rather have the Christmas present arrive intact?

If it's the latter, then carry it on so that you know it's being treated gently, wrap it when you get there. Don't take the extra risk if you don't have to.

Last edited:
Carry it on the plane. It's going to get stolen or busted in checked baggage.

Trust me, I fly every week for work and I know exactly what goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back