Cheap used car advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks. I'm getting ready to assist a relative with a search for an inexpensive, reliable used car. She currently drives a 1994 BMW 530i which is a POS - unreliable, falling apart, MPG in the mid-teens. I'm working with her to determine her exact budget but it's certainly no more than $6k and probably more like $4k. I'm focusing on small sedans and trying to find something less than 10 years old with under 100k miles. Reliability is just about the only criteria - she doesn't have kids or stuff to haul, doesn't drive too many miles, but has very limited means and a low income.

Autotrader turns up the following in roughly descending frequency:
Chevy Aveo
Chevy Cobalt/Saturn Ion
Dodge Neon
Hyundai Elantra & Accent
Kia Rio/Spectra
Ford Focus
Nissan Versa

Do any of these have issues in terms of reliability or high cost/complex repairs? Anything to watch out for? Other models to consider? Thanks,

jeff

I'm waiting for the Corolla and or Civic response. People act like they are so reliable, auto parts stores simply don't have a starter, alternator or anything else for one as they never break down.

I forget. Stay a mile away from a Neon. A Cobalt with a stick isinst too bad and cheap as [censored] to fix when it does break down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm waiting for the Corolla and or Civic response. People act like they are so reliable, auto parts stores simply don't have a starter, alternator or anything else for one as they never break down.

They are pretty darn reliable. But you'll be hard pressed at finding a Honda with less than 100k on it for $4k. Even if it is a 1986.

Look for anything with a GM 3.8, they have low resale value. The lower and upper intake gasket/manifold have problems but once replaced last 90k+ miles fairly easy.

It will cost a couple hundred to fix but most of the GM 3.8's can be had for $2000-$2500k with less then 100k miles.

She might not like the style of the car but they are cheap and reliable.

Plus most of the cars on the list are very low end disposable cars to begin with. Anything you save of a 3.8 could easily go to a repair or two if worst case.

The GM 3.8 is considered one of the top 10 gasoline engines ever made and the second best engine GM ever made #1 being the GM 350 small block.

The 3.8's are known as a bullet proof engine that refuse to die.

I highly recommend any car with it. Iv owned 3 vehicles with the 3.8 they get good gas milage 28-31 highway. Some get lower but its fairly common for them to get 28 highway. Some get in the low 30's.

I get 500 miles on my 16 gallon tank. Ride quality is one of the best cars iv ever been in too.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Corolla, Civic or Mazda 3
All three cars are very reliable and they are like ants, you can find them everywhere.

Within 50 miles of her hometown there was exactly 1 Corolla that showed up in the search (under $6k, under 100k miles) and it had unrepaired crash damage. No Civics or Mazdas. The list in the OP is representative of what appears to be available.

No GM 3.8s for that matter either. I do have a soft spot for those as I learned to drive in a '91 LeSabre. What models were made back in the early 00s that had those?

jeff

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Look for anything with a GM 3.8, they have low resale value. The lower and upper intake gasket/manifold have problems but once replaced last 90k+ miles fairly easy.

It will cost a couple hundred to fix but most of the GM 3.8's can be had for $2000-$2500k with less then 100k miles.

Plus most of the cars on the list are very low end disposable cars to begin with. Anything you save of a 3.8 could easily go to a repair or two if worst case.

The GM 3.8 is considered one of the top 10 gasoline engines ever made and the second best engine GM ever made #1 being the GM 350 small block.

I highly recommend any car with it. Iv owned 3 vehicles with the 3.8 they get good gas milage 28-31 highway. Some get lower but its fairly common for them to get 28 highway. Some get in the low 30's.

I get 500 miles on my 16 gallon tank. Ride quality is one of the best cars iv ever been in too.

Seconded. Buick Park Avenue, Buick LeSabre -- and (I think) GM put the 3.8 in the Regal and Century as well.

In the first 140,000 miles, I have yet to replace any of those things on the Corolla. It's had brakes, tires, and oil changes.

Perhaps the reason that people "act like they are so reliable" is because they are so reliable.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Seconded. Buick Park Avenue, Buick LeSabre -- and (I think) GM put the 3.8 in the Regal and Century as well.

Impala, Malibu, Grand am/pre (I believe), several others. It was a popular GM motor.

At that price condition drives everything, and you can't get that over the internet.

Is the BMW stick? If it is (and she would buy another manual) that really gives you some leverage.

I think I'd be starting with an Elantra or Focus. The Versa and Aveo are considerably smaller.

While I do think Toyota and Honda make good cars at these prices you can probably find something in better condition elsewhere.

If you can find a GM midsize that might get you a larger more comfortable car in the price range. Steer clear of the 3.4. Personally I wouldn't buy one that I didn't have the history of the intake manifolds, but I guess 600 bucks on that is no different than 600 on a Honda timing belt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

i third this, i have an oldsmobile 88(1997) with the 3.8 and the car has over 310,000 miles.
I see alot of these cars on the road yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

In the first 140,000 miles, I have yet to replace any of those things on the Corolla. It's had brakes, tires, and oil changes.

Perhaps the reason that people "act like they are so reliable" is because they are so reliable.

Perhaps, but my SIL just had to replace the water pump on her 2010 that has 77k miles on it, due to horrid noise and leaking.

her battery randomly dies, so there is an intermittent short somewhere in the car. She has been in no accidents.

Im 6 ft 5, fit in most small cars (a 91 BMW is my DD), but I couldn't fit comfortably in the front passenger seat of it this past weekend, without my head on the roof or the seat way back.

I recall my father had a radiator and two rear shocks replaced under warranty on his 91 corolla.

So they may not be as great as everyone swoons either...

That said, in very severe service of the USVI, my MIL's 01 camry v6 sludgemonster has literally fallen apart around the drivetrain, which is still is fine at 100k miles (high mileage down there) while the AT in their 4 cyl accord failed the first time at 28k miles! So they can build a pretty stout drivetrain, if QC/QA is there.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
At that price condition drives everything, and you can't get that over the internet.

Is the BMW stick? If it is (and she would buy another manual) that really gives you some leverage.

I think I'd be starting with an Elantra or Focus. The Versa and Aveo are considerably smaller.

Completely agree regarding condition. I am doing advanced research now and will likely spend a couple days with her checking out cars in person.

The BMW is a stick. A horrible terrible no good very bad stick but a stick nonetheless and she'd be willing to get another.

Small size isn't an issue, her prior car was an old Prelude and she's not a particularly large person. She frankly doesn't have the luxury of comfort being among her search criteria.

Anyone know about the 2.2l engine in the Cobalt and Ion? Is that a modern Ecotec or the nasty old OHV from the Cavalier et al?

jeff

The Camry 02 on is a good strong car with some size and gets good mileage with the 4 cyl. A loaded XLE 4 cyl cost 30k new, thats what I would look for because it will have side/curtain air bags, stability control etc. I don't know the prices now though. I paid 7k for daughters 02 SE , 80k, every option that was available, window sticker 30k, one owner etc, about 5-6 years ago. On the used car market the higher models new seem to be close to the same price as the cheaper. Why go for the el cheapos when new.

My old 95 Neon was like a hammer for reliability, and I autocross and tracked it hard, even did a half roll sliding on its side, and drove it for a year afterwards...
The early 2nd gen ones had the same bomb proof 3spd auto and the same motor. I'd still be driving it, if I didn't have kids.
Don't drive across the state for one, but if you find one that's been maintained, don't discount it either. Cars in this price bracket should be bought more on condition, than reputation IMO.

In my opinion, maintenance records are more important than what kind of car you're buying. I'd rather pay for a Chevy Cavalier with 75k that has all records since new rather than a Corolla with 50k that has had "regular oil changes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back