Which oil can go 5K without causing varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used to use motorcraft 5w20 until the price went way up then i used qsud and pennzoil yellow bottle every 5000 miles and my engine looks new inside at 188,000

I think driving and maintenance habits have more to do with sludge and varnish than the brand of oil used.

Any full syn should be capable of this as well as many oils not labeled as such.
It may be more a matter of how the engine is operated then it is the oil.
Lots of short trips would be tougher than would longer drives only.
Low ambient temperatures and warmup time may play a role as well, although you don't have much to worry about in that regard in your location.

Regarding the pennzoil advertising graph that shows pp cleans 8 percent better than regular m1 and pu cleans 25 percent better, I wonder where m1 ep falls in their advertising graph?

My 2007 Fusion at 10K OCIs has no varnish that I can see through the oil fill hole. Sorry, out of focus

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5000 miles or one year without the slightest possibility of causing varnish. An absolute fool proof oil. Which oil would that be?

Try Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. You shouldn't be experimenting with these low HTHS ILSAC 10w-30s anyhow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Try Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. You shouldn't be experimenting with these low HTHS ILSAC 10w-30s anyhow.
wink.gif

Garak!! Where have you been?!!?
shocked.gif

I was real close to starting a thread about you titled, "Where's Garak?"
shocked2.gif

At 5k I think any major brand oil with the proper grade & API should do good, providing the engine is in good condition. And keep the PVC etc. in working order.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
garak, we need pics, and inventory.

I should have brought my camera. I will take pics of the new Delvac 1 labels, at least. I'm sure, however, that people would have loved to see pics of the 1200L containers of Delvac 1 or the 1450 kg pallets of grease. Given the size of the warehouse, the amount of oil there would have to be in the hundreds of thousands of litres. Heck, I saw around ten of the 1200L containers as soon as I walked in.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Here is my Mazda 3 with over 120k miles. First 60k miles were done on dino and synthetic and the second 60k miles were done on dino exclusively (PYB and VWB).

A lot depends on the engine itself and the type of usage, not just the oil.

What!? Conventional in Canada?
grin2.gif
Looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back