Worst car to change cabin filter on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in the auto store buying a cabin filter, another fella seen me with it and mentioned to his buddy how he spent so much time trying to get to his cabin filter to change and wasn't able to do it. I didn't hear him say what vehicle.

Bought it, walked out and changed it... in maybe a minute. Those two guys were walking out and by just when I was walking up to the trash can to throw the old cabin filter away.

$19.95 and a minute or less to change it (takes time (seconds) to set the glove box stuff on the seat, and back in when done).
2010 Tucson. Couldn't be much easier.

My 01 Taurus was a bit of a pain. You had to take apart part of the cowl. And there is a vacuum line that clips to it - every time I'd disconnect the vacuum line and wonder why the car didn't run well.

The worst thing was, it had to come out every year and have lysol sprayed in because it would mold up the HVAC.

If I am not mistaken most early cabin air filter placement used to be pain but from what I have seen, it seems that 2010 or later vehicles seems to be significantly easier to change.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Taurus ain't hard. I would consider that easy. Mine is the same as yours. It's about as easy as it gets, except those clips wear out.

I'd say mine is probably as easy as it gets. It has two metal clips that flip out of the way and you pull the top off and swap it out, takes like 30 seconds
smile.gif

The Charger is pretty good, in the cowl area under the hood, pop the cover off open the door and swap.

G5 was more awkward but not difficult, small door behind the glove box.

I'd say out of the fleet I usually work on my E36 is the worst. You remove part of the dash/glove box/lower hvac ducting then it's in behind the center of the dash surrounded by sharp objects.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Taurus ain't hard. I would consider that easy. Mine is the same as yours. It's about as easy as it gets, except those clips wear out.

I stopped clipping the clips towards the end of the life of the car. Wasn't worth my time!

I think I've done the worst one ever. 2007 Honda Pilot. Lots of screws that are hard to access. But, if being done for the first time you must cut a brace out of the dash.

Worst I have ever experience is my mother's 2005 Buick Park Ave-Ultra. Filter is behind heater ducting to right of go pedal. You need to be a contortionist with hands the size of a monkey, I gladly pay the dealer to do that one. Volvo XC-90 is not easy either, my BMW 540 could not be simpler, it has driver's & passenger's filters located under the hood.

Maybe not "the worst" but my mother's 04 odyssey has a bar that you have to cut out in order to get the cabin filter out.

Took me some googling to figure that one out...

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Worst I have ever experience is my mother's 2005 Buick Park Ave-Ultra. Filter is behind heater ducting to right of go pedal. You need to be a contortionist with hands the size of a monkey,.

I must concur. It only took once to do this task to find another way. Answer: Assist neighbor's kid with their first car and press them into action.

Hello, My personal list.
WORST
1999 Honda Accord V6 2 door: Lots of reaching, dead center "behind radio", sharp edges. No cutting of braces involved.
2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4 door: Simple "under cowl" location EXCEPT actual removal of wiper arms required.
'98-'07 Saab 9-5: Glovebox unplugged and out, kick panel off, 7 screws on plastic box, uncooperative withdrawal.
NOTE: First time involves cutting plastic frame and withdrawing/discarding huge charcoal "storage pillow".
'01-'07 Volvo V70: 5 screws on plastic box, slightly tough reach.
2012 Mazda 3iTouring 5 door: simple 2 panel removal, EZ 2-part filter element.
2005 Toyota RAV-4: Super EZ glovebox tilt (flex 2 ears).
2007 Honda Odyssey Touring: Super EZ glovebox tilt (2 flex ears).
EASIEST

Easy: the cars that don't have a cabin filter!

The 92-01 ES300/Camry you have to go by the gas pedal and there are two pieces! After sliding the first piece in, you have to push it up so that you can install the second one underneath it!

The 00-04 Focus is difficult because the filter bos is partially covered by the wndshield, so it does take a couple minuted to slide in, and you might tear the filter in the process (and no, I didn't use a Purolator!)

Then, the upper cowl piece you have to remove breaks easily and is difficult to reinstall because the hood's prop rod gets in the way, and then you have to perfectly line it up in about 5 places, then there's this weird screw speed clip thing after you slide the cowl piece under the other side's trim! And the 05-07 Focus has a mesh screen welded on that you have to cut off somehow.

Originally Posted By: Kira
'01-'07 Volvo V70: 5 screws on plastic box, slightly tough reach.

I bought used 2006 V70 18-20 months ago, didn't change the cabin filter yet and didn't know where it is.

Only 5 screws to remove the glove box to get to the filter ? Nothing else is needed to remove ?

Hello and Happy New Year!,
Remove 2 screws from the bottom cover of the glovebox. It's aka footwell panel. It has a light.
Unplug it and get it out of the way.
Remove 4 screws from the filter housing's bottom.
Pull out filter taking note of the asymmetrical edge and which slot (forward vs. rearward) your filter was in.
Go gently as you assemble. Mighty screws eat soft plastic. Kira

Elantra XD was a bit hard...(through glove box.)
The Bimmer was so easy. Just open hood and replace.
2014 Mazda also going to be through glove box, and will do soon..hope it's a bit easier than the Elantra.

The Hyundais are hard to do if you have big hands. You need to have the glove box partially closed to manipulate the retainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back