Blown/locked up engine reports due in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is about time for the "Blown Engine Reports". Yes , please list all your blown engines/locked ups that were proof positive that the oil you were using was the major factor in blowing your engine to bits. Make of oil please....................

Personally, I did not blow up any engines yet....as of today.

I've temporarily locked up a couple old sled engines, but that always an air/fuel ratio issue. Maybe some super syn 2 stroke oil would've allowed me a few more minutes to notice something wasn't quite right. Both came unstuck and one went on for quite a while without issues, and the other we rebuilt.

Only oil related was a 2 stroke 3 wheeler that would not stay together on neo @100:1. My 86 Mitsubishi truck needed valves @35k,crank broke @44k. Elcamino got a rod knock but it was old and tired.

yeah a 8hp Tecumseh when I was much younger. Not sure what oil was in it, but it seized because of a lack of oil.

2-stroke Yamaha 360, back in 1980. Held WOT for a minute, mechanic said oil induction system starves engine of oil during WOT. When I had it rebuilt I had that system blocked off, and went to conventional mixing fuel in the gasoline.

There were a lot of failures of 2-strokes back then, from what I've read.

I locked up an engine once. A 2 hp Tecumseh on an old Strikemaster Ice auger.

Was getting old, not running great. I was planning on replacing it that winter with newer technology, so.....

I ran it without oil, to see how long it would go w/o locking up. Ended up going about 1/2 the winter, then she died...

A fellow worker had a mid 80s Olds V6 and used QS dino. He did abuse his OCIs and as a result two pushrod oiling holes clogged and destroyed the rocker arms and valve stems.

Brand new GM product the cam button was left out on assembly and the aluminum shavings clogged the oil passages in the pushrods . Even the great Amsoil didn't save that engine.

Locked up the engine on my GV250 motorcycle. It was definitely oil-related; the drain plug fell out and spilled it all over the highway!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
It is about time for the "Blown Engine Reports". Yes , please list all your blown engines/locked ups that were proof positive that the oil you were using was the major factor in blowing your engine to bits. Make of oil please....................

Personally, I did not blow up any engines yet....as of today.

Going to be very difficult to come up with an engine that actually blew up because of the oil used itself. Rather it will be something else like the filter failed, the engine was low on oil, ran the oil beyond it's useable life, or some such thing. I can even see running an oil in an application it is not suited to causing the failure but that is user error not the oil's fault.

I have lost engines due to failed filters, failed mechanical parts, due to neglect( not me previous owner ), etc... Haven't lost one because the oil failed.

As long as the oil meets the spec's it claims, isn't run past it's useable life, and is in a healthy engine how does it cause a failure???

Last edited:
I have a real example or three.

The worst one was a Chevy 6 cylinder powered ladder truck. (Light duty utility truck) The boss was amazingly cheap and used the cheapest 10w40 he could find. And would not change it all that often. These trucks were hard working. The main bearings started squealing due to excess clearance. The crank would actually walk around the bearing and make that classic eeeeeeeeee sound.

It was so worn out, it was simply easier to replace than to rebuild. This pattern of worn out engines in all the company trucks continued for the entire time I worked there (4 years)

In my personal eqiipment, 2 Honda powered water pump engines failed due to overheated, thin oil penz 5-30 in stationary engines, running continuously to dewater my property. Both were brand new and covered under warranty. I now use heavier synthetics for those applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a real example or three.

The worst one was a Chevy 6 cylinder powered ladder truck. (Light duty utility truck) The boss was amazingly cheap and used the cheapest 10w40 he could find. And wound not change it all that often. The main bearings started squealing due to excess clearance. The crank would actually walk around the bearing and make that classic eeeeeeeeee sound.

It was so worn out, it was simply easier to replace than to rebuild. This pattern of worn out engines in all the company trucks continued for the entire time I worked there (4 years)

In my personal eqiipment, 2 Honda powered water pump engines failed due to overheated, thin oil penz 5-30 in stationary engines, running continuously to dewater my property. Both were brand new and covered under warranty. I now use heavier synthetics for those applications.

I would say in the case of the work truck it wasn't actually the oil's fault. It was your bosses for using a cheap oil in a work vehicle and for not changing it on time. That is a poor choice and neglect causing the failure more than the oil itself I think based on what you posted.

The generators sound like they failed due to heat and a bad design. Again, doesn't sound like the oil itself caused it by being bad oil.

Not being a jerk just commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back