'13 Ford Ecoboost 3.5L twin turbo 5w30 UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
1)
welcome2.gif
to the site!

2) the fuel is silly high, if those numbers are correct. Some of the higher I've seen.

3) your engine is new enough that you're still seeing breakin-in in some regard. Presuming you've only have a couple or three OCIs, there is both break-in and residual coming out.

4) despite the fuel, the numbers are coming down nicely and it seems very "normal" for where you're at, given this accumulated mileage. Fe, Cu, Pb, Al are all trending down at this point. What's not to like about that?

Most of us are not used to seeing fuel this high; it seems detrimental to us. But the data and facts say something different. High fuel in the DI Fords is not turning into gross wear. I would certainly caution to not over-run the IOLM; just follow it and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
1)
welcome2.gif
to the site!

2) the fuel is silly high, if those numbers are correct. Some of the higher I've seen.

3) your engine is new enough that you're still seeing breakin-in in some regard. Presuming you've only have a couple or three OCIs, there is both break-in and residual coming out.

4) despite the fuel, the numbers are coming down nicely and it seems very "normal" for where you're at, given this accumulated mileage. Fe, Cu, Pb, Al are all trending down at this point. What's not to like about that?

Most of us are not used to seeing fuel this high; it seems detrimental to us. But the data and facts say something different. High fuel in the DI Fords is not turning into gross wear. I would certainly caution to not over-run the IOLM; just follow it and you should be fine.

Thanks!

The reason for the long OCI on the first analysis is because I followed the Trucks computer OLM. Which can go upwards of 16000kms before it indicates an oil change is required. I find this very optimistic considering my 1st analysis so I corrected for fewer Km's the second analysis, yet the fuel is higher.

I'm hoping to get the truck in soon to bring this issue up with the dealer and see what kind of squirming they do.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: TurboFX

These are interesting comments. I'm unsure if you are trying to derail this discussion, troll, or you are a possible V8 fanboi, or just simply want to start yet another tiresome, bandwidth wasting [censored] contest between makers of half ton pickup trucks... But you obviously digress.

Is there something flawed with purchasing a "truck" with a TT DI motor as opposed to a "car"? In my opinion, no. I like that new technology is becoming more mass produced and finally the pickup truck segment is seeing some new implementation of tech that was originally only available to more "exotic" makes.
Oh, and I feel I got a decent deal for it!

So, thanks for your opinion. It's nice to view my issue from a different angle I guess...

NO, I'm not trying to start a war. I'm glad you like your truck. That's what it's all about.

But I'm just not convinced that a TT V6 is a good idea in a truck. Call me biased, I don't care. I just don't see the advantage(s), especially in someone wanting to own a truck until it's long in the tooth.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some 150,000 mile models out there. But I'm waiting for 200k.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Not to mention ford pounded one of these trucks for serious miles,took it and raced Baja,and upon teardowns they found minimal wear.
200000 miles today is hardly a blink.
Look at the various forums where guys own these things. There are already 150000 milers out there and they haven't dissolved yet.
Don't we have guys here with higher miles on them so far too.

I don't trust what Chevy has said about the results of testing their trucks, or what Ford or Dodge says about their own trucks either. Not reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
1)
welcome2.gif
to the site!

Thanks!

The reason for the long OCI on the first analysis is because I followed the Trucks computer OLM. Which can go upwards of 16000kms before it indicates an oil change is required. I find this very optimistic considering my 1st analysis so I corrected for fewer Km's the second analysis, yet the fuel is higher.

I'm hoping to get the truck in soon to bring this issue up with the dealer and see what kind of squirming they do.

Cheers
The dealer ..well I call the Ford 800 number and talk to them and see what they say.

I had debated a couple times about ordering a Interceptor Utility (Explorer) with the TTV6. If I did, I would swap to Mobil 1 0W40 at the first change and not look back.
These fuel number look like what I would expect. Blackstone grossly underestimates fuel content in UOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I had debated a couple times about ordering a Interceptor Utility (Explorer) with the TTV6. If I did, I would swap to Mobil 1 0W40 at the first change and not look back.
These fuel number look like what I would expect. Blackstone grossly underestimates fuel content in UOAs.

M1 0w40 is a great oil....but Visom is not the best base you could choose in a turbocharged engine.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

M1 0w40 is a great oil....but Visom is not the best base you could choose in a turbocharged engine.

What would be the best base and what oil would you use?

Huh? Isnt M1 0W40 used/recommeded/has certs for some turbo'd engines? For that matter, the turbos on this particular engine are water cooled anyway.

Hmmm, how do we explain all those ultra performance car oem approvals of which, Nissan's GTR (turbo) is one?

Originally Posted By: wemay

Hmmm, how do we explain all those ultra performance car oem approvals of which, Nissan's GTR (turbo) is one?

Give him a break, he's just phishin'!

I intended to keep this truck as long as possible.

That's an oxymoron..... If you want to buy a truck and keep it on the road as long as possible, why did you buy a twin turbocharged Ford? You should have gotten a 5.4 NA engine in that Ford....or any Chevy with no fuel/cylinder management.

I've been saying it now since these TT V6's debuted....200k miles will be ultra rare without extensive rework.

These are interesting comments. I'm unsure if you are trying to derail this discussion, troll, or you are a possible V8 fanboi, or just simply want to start yet another tiresome, bandwidth wasting [censored] contest between makers of half ton pickup trucks... But you obviously digress.

Is there something flawed with purchasing a "truck" with a TT DI motor as opposed to a "car"? In my opinion, no. I like that new technology is becoming more mass produced and finally the pickup truck segment is seeing some new implementation of tech that was originally only available to more "exotic" makes.
Oh, and I feel I got a decent deal for it!

So, thanks for your opinion. It's nice to view my issue from a different angle I guess...

I don't want to pile on here but the 5.4 has not been available in an F150 since 2010. Otherwise I defer to the trolls engineering expertise.

Enjoy your Ecoboost. Don't cheat on the IOLM and you should be just fine.

It may be now PAO based. See thread in the Euro section.

The fuel dilution is what it is. Many high performance cars dilute like crazy too. My M5 diluted last year like a boss (5% per Toromont, another choice up here in the GWN) and it is naturally aspirated.

Everything else looks normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Short OCIs with a stout oil works well in these engines - I'm running an A3 rated oil in mine (0w-40 Castrol) and it seems to be holding up pretty well. 4k miles and I change it out. 81k miles and she runs like a top and its a first year model. Oil, filters, one round of plugs , that's it for maintenance on the engine.

High rise torque is addicting.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: wemay

Give him a break, he's just phishin'!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Does this car have a remote start? How often do you use that feature?

yes it does. I use it approx. 50 percent of the time. more so in the cold weather. very rarely do I let it warm up for more than a minute or so before I drive off.

Cheers

Yes, I was going to suggest you show the service manage the results of you UOA's. 7.5 and 9.0% fuel dilution seems excessive. Given that that the 5w30's viscosity has degraded to be less than most 20-grades, I suggest you go with a thicker 30 and limit your oil change intervals to assure it stays in grade.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Cheers

Yes, I was going to suggest you show the service manage the results of you UOA's. 7.5 and 9.0% fuel dilution seems excessive. Given that that the 5w30's viscosity has degraded to be less than most 20-grades, I suggest you go with a thicker 30 and limit your oil change intervals to assure it stays in grade.

Thicker 30? Do you mean 10w30?
What brands would you recommend?

No, he means an oil on the thicker end of the SAE 30. An example of this is Castrol EDGE SPT 0W30 "European Formula". KV@100C of 11.8cSt. HTHS of 3.5cP
The bad thing about it is its only API SL.
But the Castrol 0W40 is API SN. Just barely a SAE 40 with a KV@100C of 12.8cSt.
Mobil 1 0W40 is API SN too. KV@100C of 13.8cSt. HTHS of 3.8cP. This would be my top choice in this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back