Jeweler recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a diamond journey pendant as a Christmas gift. How is Kay? Any other recommendations? And yes im the idiot at the mall days before Christmas. TIA

I've had good success with Blue Nile. Bought a gorgeous engagement ring there, among other items. I would imagine you can still get it to you in time with expedited shipping.

I just looked at blue nile......over $2000 for a journey pendant.....at Kay its less than half....is there something im missing? Thank you!

I have had good luck with Jared, however it is associate dependent. There are people in the store I visit that I won't talk to.

Hello, Jewelry is a bad purchase to let go to the last minute.

Don't mean to sound like a lecture.

Is there no one you can ask for a local "mom & pop" store recommendation?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I just looked at blue nile......over $2000 for a journey pendant.....at Kay its less than half....is there something im missing? Thank you!

I bought engagement ring, wedding bands at Blue Nile. Had them shipped to CT so I payed no sales tax. I think Blue Nile has quality products and great service and no pushy salesman. I think at the mall the diamonds will be over priced and poorer quality.

I got a great engagement ring at blue nile, but last year a diamond heart pendant for a couple hundred bucks. It was miniscule! Dumb me for following the magnified pics online.

You can also try pawn shops. Get a receipt accurately describing the piece.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Your local trusted jeweler...

This!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Jewelry is a bad purchase to let go to the last minute.
Don't mean to sound like a lecture.
Is there no one you can ask for a local "mom & pop" store recommendation?

And this.really!

If you are going to buy a diamond you really need to do the research. For example you should easily be able to get a 3/4 carat well proportioned brillliant cut, F/G, VS2 for max $2500.

You will over pay by 1/3 at places like Kay (at least)

If you are going to buy something of any value you needed to do the research. A mom and pop place is the way to go if you can get an honest one. Word of mouth.

We have a guy in our area that we went to, and added another diamond to my wife's engagement ring. As long he is in business we won't go anywhere else.

Last edited:
Stay away from big chains and mall jewelers! There's a reason it's so cheap- you get what you pay for.

Trusted local jeweler only.

I have a friend who is a jeweler- was talking to him on this subject a while ago. When they run those huge discount type sales, that's typically all the stone is worth.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Stay away from big chains and mall jewelers! There's a reason it's so cheap- you get what you pay for.

Trusted local jeweler only.

Agree 100%. When I bought my wife an engagement ring, I went to a small mom & pop (literally: husband & wife team who are both jewelers). They didn't have a ring with the stone I wanted, so they ordered in a stone, and set it in a ring that I liked. The price was very competitive, as well. That was in '02, and they still gladly check the setting for problems, clean it, etc anytime my wife stops in. Ask your friends & co-workers for recommendations in your area. If you find the right one, you can't beat the service.

I went with mysolitaire.com for my wife's ring. Not only was a cheaper than every other place I tried, they made a few unfinished molds in gold for her to try on. We were local to NY which made it easier but the color, cut, clarity of the stone was cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Jewelry and especially diamonds are rife with thieves and dishonesty.

Diamonds are not just diamonds. Learn about them...clarity, cut, grades, etc. well before purchasing one.

Go with a place only after extensive research or from the advice of a person in the business that you trust.

I have heard that online, Blue Nile is a place many have been satisfied with.

If quality isn't that important to you and you just want a decent price for a fair diamond necklace...any of the major retail places will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back