Ford 4.2L V6 Engine - Pics - Uneven varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the fuel injectors tonight and in the process decided to change out the valve cover gaskets. The passenger side exhibited signs of a valve cover leak as the spark plugs on that side would have oil on the threads when taken out.

This is a 2002 F150 with 155,000 miles. I have been religious about 5k OCIs with a FL-400S and either Motorcraft 5W-20 or Trop Artic 5W-20. (toss in some 5W-30 on occasion if it was the only thing available)

What would cause this?

Driver Side:
NOkIcJG.jpg

Passenger:
FMOF7Tq.jpg

Last edited:
It's looking like your Ford would be a good candidate for full synthetic at those 5K OCIs.

Driver's side has better ventilation is my guess.

PCV would indeed be on the dirty side. Clean side has a tube that connects to the air intake tube, but no valve or anything to impede flow.

I probably can't afford to put the ol' gal on synthetic. There is an oil pan gasket leak that causes me to lose probably 2 quarts per OCI. I can't change the oil pan gasket without pulling the engine, so yeah.

I'll probably try some Mobil Clean 5000, though.

I do not know why everyone gets worked up over some varnish. Sludge-yes. It doesn't look bad to me. Replace the valve cover soon before you lose any more sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I do not know why everyone gets worked up over some varnish.

It's because we are on this web site, have stashes of oil, do UOAs, and microanalyze oils.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
You seem like the perfect candidate for High Mileage oil, like MaxLife.

Agree! change the PCV Valve and put some Maxlife in there
thumbsup2.gif

The engine looks excellent BTW!

Last edited:
does the oil flow to one bank before the other? That may be the reason for the different color. Looks clean though!!!!

With that kind of mileage on the truck, I would be happy with how that looks. I would just keep using what you are using and doing what you are doing.

Wayne

Looks pretty good with your mileage as stated. I'd keep on keeping on. The Ford 4.2 evolved into a very rugged, durable engine.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You know that engine looks REALLY clean inside. Keep doing what you are doing and stop worrying about a little discoloration.

This. Also, have you owned the truck since new? If not, I'd think the one head has been off and built at some point, maybe a head gasket, or a stripped spark plug hole required it to be pulled at some point in it's earlier life??

^...or just a PCV valve to one bank and not the other.
whistle.gif

As another 4.2L user noted, their dad's truck ran hotter on the bank with more discoloration. Hotter temps + no PCV valve on that bank = more deposits and therefore color staining into varnish. Nothing serious or anything, but a good reminder to check the PCV valve while at it.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back