Purolator L14476 cut-open 12K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Last summer, I have changed the oil and filter on my sister's 2013 Yaris. I have used QSUD 5w-30 and L14476. Both bought from Walmart. Told her to come back about about 6K - 7.5K miles.
Well today she's back. Low and behold, she ran it for 12K miles before bringing it back. Women
shocked.gif

Anyways, the filter looks fine. no tears. ADV is flexible and working. No sludge/dirt build-up on the media. Here are the pictures:
2ll0cag.jpg

2r61ks2.jpg

24m6i38.jpg

2qn0dae.jpg

Super extra bonus points for photographing the filter on a Harbor Freight ad.

But seriously, good to see. Thanks for cutting and posting.

Pretty newly manufactured filter ... July 3, 2014. Can't see a straight in shot of the seam, but seems to have pretty evenly spaced pleats, which is key. How about a shot of the seam head-on?

It has that metal seam on the right of the pic.

If I remember correctly, those filters are built better.

Originally Posted By: aa1986

Most of the Purolators with reported torn media had the metal seam.

The tearing issue occured on one of the pleats beside the seam. Could be either side.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Most of the Purolators with reported torn media had the metal seam.

OK, thanks for correcting me. Perhaps I was remembering pictures of other brands!

Originally Posted By: sir1900

The tearing issue occured on one of the pleats beside the seam. Could be either side.

Yes. For some reason I don't recall seeing a tear pic on a filter with a metal seam. But Zee who is the acknowledged filter expert has corrected me so my recollection is clearly off.

Originally Posted By: filb14
One of pics I shot earlier.
Best I have for tonight.

2guwrjp.jpg

The pleats near the seam look better than ones seen on the torn filters. Maybe Purolator has changed the manufacturing process in order to keep the pleats tighter near the seam. Since this one was made in July 2014, it's relatively new in terms of used and then cut & posted here.

So, this filter was used well beyond a year as well? Not bad.

EDIT: Derp...was from this summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
So, this filter was used well beyond a year as well? Not bad.

It was made on July 3, 2014 (per date code) so couldn't have been used a year.

Not a year... Just about 4-5 months. Sis drives a lot. going to different hospitals & med school/facility. I was surprised. But I did the oil change at 33.5K miles, then checked the odo again today... it's 45.5K miles.
I scolded her, and ask her how long has the maintenance light been on. And she said quite a few weeks already. Again, women
shocked.gif

Maybe all the tearing issues were results of several factors... age in service and miles.

Maybe putting many miles on such short time doesn't cause tearing.

I wager 12k in that sort of time did the filter/oil good.

I'd be more concerned with a classic going those miles in more severe service or perhaps even less miles with short trips.
21.gif

PS: Yes, my brain stopped working. I had read the manufacture date, but keep thread jumping so I didn't remember that was regarding this filter by the time I came back to post.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Maybe all the tearing issues were results of several factors... age in service and miles.

Maybe putting many miles on such short time doesn't cause tearing.

I think the majority of the people seeing and commenting on the tears on this site concluded it was probable more than one factor involved, but pretty much concluded that the wide pleat spacing and large V-spread on the pleats near the seam was the main cause of the tears.

Not a year... Just about 4-5 months. Sis drives a lot. going to different hospitals & med school/facility. I was surprised. But I did the oil change at 33.5K miles, then checked the odo again today... it's 45.5K miles.
I scolded her, and ask her how long has the maintenance light been on. And she said quite a few weeks already. Again, women
shocked.gif

With her driving condition I think she needs M1 EP with Fram Ultra and do 6 month OCI.

The Classic filter that failed for me had numerous holes in the media with no correlation to pleat spacing. 27 holes last time I counted. The media appears to have simply become weak. As oil pressure pushed the media towards the center tube, pieces of the media tore away and pushed in through the holes of the center tube. Maybe the bypass valve in the engine is not opening during cold starts.

The filter in this thread looks very good, as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back