Mann ML1008 cut open, 5,700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a rough job cutting open this Mann ML1008 filter, which was on my 2007 Honda Ridgeline for 5,700 miles and 10 months using 5w-20 synthetic oil. It looks decent, with some wavy pleats but no media tears. It's the last one in my stash. The manufacture date appears to be 03/02/2013 but I don't know what the 15 and the 0 on the end designates. Obviously different than regular Purolator codes. One difference with the Mann that I never noticed is that one end cap is rubber, instead of both being metal.

IMGP1440_zps4a7f8e76.jpg

IMGP1444_zpsf345189a.jpg

IMGP1443_zpsc7a732c6.jpg

IMGP1442_zps1bd7c030.jpg

IMGP1441_zps2ba1880b.jpg

Looks like a nice filter. Current amazon price is $5.30.
It didnt withstand it like a tank, but its 5 dollar filter.

May consider Mann over ULTRA in future since I dont my OCI that long.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
....One difference with the Mann that I never noticed is that one end cap is rubber, instead of both being metal....

Nah. It's what's now commonly referred to here as an endcap popper. Not a rubber endcap just the potting/(glue) showing after the endcap fell off after opening the can. Been discussed before. No effect on function with the leaf retainer spring doing it's job. And the potting is in good order on that end, seal maintained.

Never seen the different manufacture code for US Mann coming from Puro. At AAP now though, the US made Mann spin ons are absurdly priced.

Thanks for the pics.

Sayjac, thanks for explaining the end cap. I thought both end caps would have been pressed on, so as not to come apart.

BTW I got these filters last year for $3.63 each on eBay, including shipping.

Both endcaps likely were glued or potted new, but with use sometimes its adhesive quality lessens. As said though, as long as the leaf spring is functioning as designed and the potting is intact, it's not a functional issue.

As for price, about right considering they are basically Puro Classics. It looks like AAP doesn't even carry this app anymore but last I looked it had reached $7-8.

Yep, an end cap "popper". Definitely has Purolator DNA.

Quote:
I take it these are related to Purolator then?

Mann's (Mann&Hummel) been half owner of Purolator since 2006 and the sole owner since first quarter of last year. As the saying goes, the buck now stops with them for anything going on at Purolator.

As with US made Bosch, the US made Mann is made by Purolator. This one is the L14610 equivalent.

MANN makes very good products.. They are like OEM... When you got to AAP its funny b/c they are not cheap but the box is very plane Jane... Just Green and White and some yellow. So people think its no good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back