Highway, 1 Hellcat owner, 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freedom of choice, self responsibility, right?

I don't get it. 707hp would be neat for bragging, but not much else. Even on the track, does it really help? I've not looked closely at the specs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I don't get it. 707hp would be neat for bragging, but not much else. Even on the track, does it really help? I've not looked closely at the specs.

Yeah it moves out pretty good. The 4 door version is the fastest sedan on planet.

I won't judge anyone for buying it or wanting it...like some here, but that guy should have taken it easy until he figured it out. Like you said self responsibility.

That is such a shame... I love that car..

Same things happened when the SRT-4 first came out. So many wrecks so early on.

I hope someone fixes it honestly.. Not enough of these things made to just ruin them all and leave them for dead.

having big block Chev hotrods it is really a nice feeling when you stomp on the gas pedal in any gear and you get forced into the back of the seat. Nope not needed for a daily driver but if I could only justify writing the check...

Don't forget the $1.15 millon dollar 2015 McLaren P1 that was crashed "in less than 24 hours" by a 27 year old in November

If I had the coin I'd buy one in a nanosecond- but I'll be happy to settle for a 2012 SRT or Boss 302 when I find one that hits the right chord with me...

Originally Posted By: CT8

having big block Chev hotrods it is really a nice feeling when you stomp on the gas pedal in any gear and you get forced into the back of the seat. Nope not needed for a daily driver but if I could only justify writing the check...

Yes but point is if there is so much power that you're traction limited the whole times does it do good for anything but show big numbers on paper?

If you use that much, can the drivetrain actually stand up for any practical amount of time?

Seems like it would be best to drive in valet mode more often than not, and if that's the case, is it ok for the engine to not be run all the way very often?

I too would swoon over having that kind of HP, but if I couldn't use it without a good possibility of adverse effects or at least just shredding tires with no speed benefit, I'd have to think twice.

Because what could go wrong is scary...

I wanted one of these (the charger version), but when I realized I could drive ridiculously fast and never exceed 2,000 rpm I realized that it might not be much fun - having so much power and not being able to use it.

How does the saying go? More fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Each to their own. Later in life a ridiculously fast and powerful car would be fun.

statistic is a few years old: but the average amount of time a sportbike is driven off the lot before hitting the ground for the first time?

18 seconds.

Originally Posted By: supton
How does the saying go? More fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Said everyone who has never had a fast car. Ever.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

smile.gif

So true!

smile.gif

Amen!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

So true!

My current "fast" car isn't especially fast(@13.7 in the quarter at around 105 mph, top speed a tick over 160) but I will say that it a lot of fun to drive- although on the street, any shenanigans involving fourth gear or higher will endanger your license.

That said, my 150 bhp 318ti Club Sport taught me to be a much better driver at HPDEs. When I drove my Dinan-tweaked M6 the horsepower reserve made me sloppy. In the ti I learned about conservation of momentum and consistency- abilities that carried over when I returned to track toys with significant horsepower.

I love my slow cars as well as my (almost)fast car, but since I instruct at HPDEs my track car HAS to be fast- I detest giving point-bys...
19.gif

smile.gif

Eh, on the street though, I don't really see the point. I had pretty much all the fun a Viper can give in 30 minutes...(have a good scare going sideways in a straight line and then in a corner, break every speed limit in the country only 200 rpm into second gear, have everyone within an 1/8 mile turn and look when you go WO, and live in real fear of a cop seeing you having any fun!) I did really want to go for a track day and really learn how to drive it at the limit, as on the street though it was just torture, not driving too hard to be reasonably responsible....

If I had money just begging to be wasted, then sure a Viper or Hellcat as a DD would be fun, but that's long after my track car is paid for. Something competent on the street without 1' wide sticky tires would be my choice. An old BMW or even just a Miata would be more fun IMHO, but to each their own.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

smile.gif

Eh, on the street though, I don't really see the point. I had pretty much all the fun a Viper can give in 30 minutes...(have a good scare going sideways in a straight line and then in a corner, break every speed limit in the country only 200 rpm into second gear, have everyone within an 1/8 mile turn and look when you go WO, and live in real fear of a cop seeing you having any fun!) I did really want to go for a track day and really learn how to drive it at the limit, as on the street though it was just torture, not driving too hard to be reasonably responsible....

If I had money just begging to be wasted, then sure a Viper or Hellcat as a DD would be fun, but that's long after my track car is paid for. Something competent on the street without 1' wide sticky tires would be my choice. An old BMW or even just a Miata would be more fun IMHO, but to each their own.

Then you are missing the point. It is there when you need it or want it. You don't have to use it all the time. I drove the WS6 in today and good blast to 70 on an on ramp can not be replaced by a Corolla that takes what feels like years to get up to 70 to me. Plus a track car, if done correctly can do just fine on the street.

smile.gif

This is the sentiment of someone who has never pushed a well-sorted "slow" car
wink.gif

Not all fast cars are good to drive and not all slow cars are econoboxes.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

smile.gif

This is the sentiment of someone who has never pushed a well-sorted "slow" car
wink.gif

Not all fast cars are good to drive and not all slow cars are econoboxes.

I had tons of mid to late 80's turbo dodges. Slow cars you could push, still never found them as fun to drive as my larger horsepower cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back